PDA

View Full Version : Sleep or Hibernate

georgenz
19-12-2009, 09:13 AM
I use my laptop daily either at work or at home (thankfully at home for while now) and I have always used Hibernation when I close the lid. Was wonder what others do whether they 'Sleep or Hibernate' .... (I don't tend to leave Docs open even if Hibernating)

mzee
19-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Hibernate is best. the computer closes down completely, no data is lost.
The only times you should use sleep is if there is not enough free space on your Hard drive for the Hybernation file, or if you are having a short break.

Disadvantages of Sleep are:-
1) Computer can come back to life on its own, could be disastrous if it is a Laptop in a case.

2) Should the computer close down for any reason, data will be lost.

3) Your battery will be drained.

4) Some computers refuse to stay asleep!

hueybot3000
19-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I sleep my laptop, just yesterday is slept all day in my car in its bag no worries. Battery life fine. Although I have the extended battery so that would help.

Sleep is also quicker both in and out so thats an advantage for me

Agent_24
19-12-2009, 01:54 PM
If you use sleep often, you should change your BIOS options to use S3 (suspend to RAM) sleep mode instead of S1 (power-on suspend)

It will save power, money, and will probably be quieter...

georgenz
19-12-2009, 05:17 PM
If you use sleep often, you should change your BIOS options to use S3 (suspend to RAM) sleep mode instead of S1 (power-on suspend)

It will save power, money, and will probably be quieter...

Hi could you explain this a bit more please.

tks

Agent_24
19-12-2009, 05:34 PM
There are 2 common ways in which a computer can be put into standby.

First one is called "Power-on Suspend (POS)" or S1 state. In this state the system will usually tell hard drives to spin down and will send standby signal to the monitor. The CPU will stop executing instructions however power to the CPU and RAM is maintained. Other devices like onboard LAN etc may be turned off. However because the CPU etc still requires power, the CPU fan will still be running to avoid overheating and the PSU fan will also still be going as the PSU will still be switched on as well. Power consumption is Five Watts to Thirty Watts of Power.

The second is called "Suspend to RAM (STR)" or S3 state. In this state the CPU has no power however the RAM is still powered, keeping any information that was in memory prior to standby. Almost everything else is turned off. Usually all fans will power off as well (which is why S3 is quieter) Power consumption is less than Five Watts.

There is also a third state called S2 but this is not usually used on most computers.

I always use S3 when possible as it saves maximum power and usually results in a silent PC when in standby as no fans are running.

You can find more information on power states etc here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface