PDA

View Full Version : Modem - no dialtone.

Nomad
18-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I have a old laptop from 2000 from studies.

It's the only machine that has a fax feature. Wanna send a fax but it says, code 10 under systems properties. Under modems it says, not functional. When I send a fax it says no dialtone.

It is one of those combo mini pci card - ethernet + modem. Ethernet is working I assume.

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers to no avail.

Laptop doesn't have anything there so will do a re-ghost and see if that helps. If not ..... :help:

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Has it got more than 1 jack / connection on it?? Sometimes people put the phone line into the wrong jack

Nomad
18-12-2009, 09:46 PM
It is off the laptop so there is just one jack. I know which one is the ethernet :D
It is the internal pci card, not PCMCIA.

For the ADSL splitter. You use the one for the phone right? Not the one for the computer.

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2009, 09:49 PM
If its got a splitter remove it, thats probably whats stopping it from dialing out. Plug it into the phone jack itself

KarameaDave
18-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Some things you could try.
Reseat the mini-pci.
Check the pin out (some older ones have a different pin assignment)
The presario is different to the dv6000 in my pictures
Then try a different modem to confirm the line is working.
Does the old lappy have a serial port?
Serial modems are very reliable.

pctek
19-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Under modems it says, not functional. When I send a fax it says no dialtone.
:

You need the modem to be functioning first. Wrong driver? Or it's died?

If it's dead, use an external modem.

Nomad
19-12-2009, 09:35 AM
I think it is kapuf.

I reloaded the ghost file which admitted was before the upgrade ie., a modem instead of the combo ethernet + modem now. Generally what happens and it has always works that is I have a CD with the drivers, I updated the ethernet drivers and the modem drivers. The ethernet works (as it did prior to ghost) but the modem still refuse to work.

This is the first time I cannot get the modem to work after a re-ghost.

I have re-seated the pci card.
I dunno about the pins - I have tried more than one cable, more than one phone jack (wall).
I have tried direct to the wall jack as well as via a line filter.
Don't have another modem these days, just ADSL and Wireless :D
Just no dial tone.

Occasionally it would display the error in control panel. Then after a few reboots that would dissapear but still cannot get a dial tone.

I think it is dead. It is a 2000 laptop. I need to be careful what I load onto it cos it can be v slow.

May head to the public library to send a fax. This laptop is hardly worth $50 so a modem purchase is out of the question :p

Nomad
19-12-2009, 07:11 PM
This is strange. When I tried the network card, that failed. Couldn't even go on BB.

I reghost again and didn't install the SP. It worked. Reinstall SP and still working, lol.

Then I installed the modem driver which worked fine previously. Gave me blue screen upon boot. I got the later driver a few months newer (2001), and that worked and now everything works after SP.

Strange.....
I did lost my $4 for a one pager fax at the library :D