PDA

View Full Version : W& 32 &64 bit - same computer

Bryan
18-12-2009, 06:32 PM
My computer has a 64 bit m/b and I have 3G ram.

My C: HHD contains the 32 bit W7 and runs perfectly well.

I wanted to try and load the 64 bit onto another drive and explore its capabilities.

However, I am continually getting chkdsk errors. Although I have run chkdsk several times from 64 bit and also from the C: HHD (with /f) I still have chkdsk errors.

Can anyone enlighten me as to resolving the problem?

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2009, 06:39 PM
If the hdds are IDE, did you jumper them? Did you do a clean install on this other hdd, when / if you were trying to install 64 bit?

Blam
18-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Are you getting thse errors from both OS's?

If so, this may be indicating drive failure.

And are they on seperate Hard Drives, or partitions?

Blam

Sweep
18-12-2009, 06:40 PM
If you are getting lots of errors on the C: drive then the drive may be suspect. Have you turned SMART on for the drive(s)?

How many physical drives have you got?

Bryan
18-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I have two drives. They are jumpered correctly and I use a boot manager to select the system I want to use. I don't think the drive is suspect and yes, the 64 bit was a clean install.

Drive C: behaves perfectly, 64 bit is on a slave HHD.

Sweep
18-12-2009, 07:19 PM
So which O/S is giving the chkdsk errors?

Whichever drive is the boot drive will be drive C: and the other will be D:

Bryan
19-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Master is the C: W7 32 bit. Slave is E: W7 64 bit.

I have no troubles with 32 bit when it is loading.

If I try and load 64 bit using a bootloader, yes it comes up with inconsistancy with the disk (it says C:) but I believe it is really the 64 bit disk it is refering to.

Sweep
19-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Master is the C: W7 32 bit. Slave is E: W7 64 bit.

I have no troubles with 32 bit when it is loading.

If I try and load 64 bit using a bootloader, yes it comes up with inconsistancy with the disk (it says C:) but I believe it is really the 64 bit disk it is refering to.

So then the chkdsk errors are happening on drive E:

As I said before whatever drive you boot off will appear to be drive C:

So anyway it would appear to be that the slave disk has problems with chkdsk errors. So what is the SMART status of the slave drive?

Bryan
19-12-2009, 08:49 AM
SMART says the disk is healthy. I played Spider Solitaire and when I went out of it an error message came up that the system was corrupt. I wnet into the Master 32 bit and checked the logs. There were many error listings that came up.

It would seem to me that even on two separate HHDs, 32 bit & 64 bit have conflicts.

I have now deleted the partitions on the slave drive and repartitioned it as one partition. I've run chkdsk and it is all clear - I don't think I can be bothered trying again!

Should I format the slave or will it be OK to leave as is?

Sweep
19-12-2009, 08:58 AM
If you have repartitioned then to use the space you need to format.

By any chance were you booting off the Slave drive then running applications that were on the Master drive?

Or booting off the Master and using files off the slave?

angry
19-12-2009, 09:23 AM
it will probably need to be set 64 bit c/first booter, 32 bit other/second booter, for reasons I have difficulty expressing.

64 riding on top of 32, bios, sata controller, unbalanced bit like inverted pyramid.

put 32 2nd on top of 64 will probably be ok, like an extension of xp mode or 32 bit mode which works well.

Bryan
19-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi Sweep.

I used the boot Manager to select the 64 bit system (on the slave) and no I didn't try to run any applications on the Master drive.

All I wanted to do was load the 64 bit onto the slave and have a tutu with it. Tutu didn't work!

Sweep
19-12-2009, 09:51 AM
OK. I still can't quite work out why you were having CHKDSK errors on the slave drive though.