PDA

View Full Version : Strange Word problem

wainuitech
18-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Right oh - Anyone seen this problem before --- Its been bugging me for a few days now.

Got this One word document (Word 2007) , been working fine for years, made no changes to it - now all of a sudden when ever you try to print it, it comes up with an error message saying "printer out of paper, check trays". (No error codes) :confused:

Tried sending it to three different printers - all WITH PAPER and the exact same error message from each printer. even sent it to a mate - errored on his printer as well.

You hear the printer(s) start up and then it errors.

ANY other document prints perfectly on the same printers. Its only this one.

Tried opening it in Open Office, re-saved it in Open Office format, tried copy/paste to new document - all the same error.

Only way to get it to print is to save it as a PDF - then it prints fine.

I've re written it and the new one works OK.

Sweep
18-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I've never seen that before. I know you can insert printer field codes directly into a Word doc.

FoxyMX
18-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a vague recollection of something similar happening to me a few years ago but I think I fixed it by copying the contents of the document into a new Word document.

I'm with Sweep - printer field codes in the document have somehow got themselves into a knot.

pctek
18-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Corrupted in some way, so do what Foxy says, copy the contents.

FoxyMX
18-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Corrupted in some way, so do what Foxy says, copy the contents.

It worked for me but wainuitech says he has tried that and it didn't work for him.

wainuitech
18-12-2009, 04:17 PM
It worked for me but wainuitech says he has tried that and it didn't work for him. Thats right- simply copy/paste brought across what ever the problem is.

No biggie, as I mentioned I could still print it off Via PDF, and I have now retyped the whole document - just a bit annoying when you dont know what the problem or fix is.

bob_doe_nz
18-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Couldn't you copy into notepad or similar simple text editor and then copy it back.
You would have to redo all formatting, but it should remove all traces of code and such.

Oh, what do I owe you for the dvd?

wainuitech
18-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Couldn't you copy into notepad or similar simple text editor and then copy it back.
You would have to redo all formatting, but it should remove all traces of code and such.

Oh, what do I owe you for the dvd?

Wasn't anything flash in the formatting and its all done now anyway - I still have the original and its converted to PDF.

re the CD - I'll send a PM later - but in short nothing - its Xmas. :)

FoxyMX
18-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Could you give it a go anyway, just for curiosity's sake? I'm really interested to know whether it would work. :banana

Paul.Cov
18-12-2009, 07:57 PM
The older 2003 version of Word had an Open & Repair function hidden away in the Open... dialog box. Dunno if and where it may be with that damned ribbon in 2007 however.

wainuitech
18-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Could you give it a go anyway, just for curiosity's sake? I'm really interested to know whether it would work. Okay - Now this is driving me crazy ( yeah short drive :p ) its getting stranger by the minute......tried to print again - same error.

Copy / pasted to wordpad - ( left the Word2007 Version open) printed Ok in wordpad. closed word pad.

Closed the original. Reopened and bugger me it now prints, sent to 3 printers all went fine ------- :confused::waughh::waughh:

I give up :groan:

FoxyMX
19-12-2009, 04:10 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's PCs for ya! :rolleyes: :D