PDA

View Full Version : extending the reach of my wireless network

theother1
17-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi people
SWMBO is having problems getting a strong connection since I moved her computer further from the wireless access point.
We run a motorola router with a Belkin 802.11g wireless access point.
I have read here before about people extending the range of their wireless network and have searched wuithout luck for the posts. Can someone advise me how this can be accomplished?
Many thanks
Rob

Blam
17-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Best method IMO would be to get something such as the Linksys WRT54G or Asus WL-520GU(~$90 new, ~$60 second hand) and load Tomato or DDWRT on them and configure them as repeaters, or use them with your current router in WDS(provided your current router supports it)

However, it can be slightly difficult to do for non technical people's, so if you want the easiest approach then you could use a Powerline adapter(Ethernet Over Power) which can be expensive but is probably a bit more reliable than wireless.

Or, you could buy a preconfigured repeater(Belkin makes a few) and use that....not sure of performance though

A larger antenna may also help....what signal strength is she getting at the moment?

Blam

theother1
17-12-2009, 10:39 PM
she is only getting about 60%. The problem is actually with Skype in that she had great video both ways before I moved her but now she can only have one picture visible at a time ie either hers or the person she is calling - but not both.
I have checked all the skype settings and it doesn't seen to be that, hoewever since the move the signal strength has dropped.

KarameaDave
18-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Some ideas here, I built a parabolic reflector for my access point
out of cardboard and aluminium foil, it works well but is rather directional.

http://hacknmod.com/hack/make-a-diy-wireless-repeater/

If the PC in question has a USB WIFI adapter perhaps a USB extension cord could
be used?