PDA

View Full Version : LCD-Damaged with ball point pen.

Metla
17-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Greetings Folks,

Noticed this morning that one of my boys (well, I know which one) has sat down at the PC, picked up a pen and proceeded to use it to draw pictures on my LCD screen (sweeeeeeeeeeeeet, after all, it only cost $700 freaking dollars and took me months to pay for).

Anyhow, I have tried to clean the area with screen wipes, Didn't work, Does anyone know of a cleaner that would be safe to use to clean off the ink? The screen itself is damaged but if I can get the ink out of the groove that has been made I'll be slightly less upset.....

Please, no wild guesses, I can make uneducated mistakes all by myself

Sam I Am
17-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I use isopropyl to clean clients screens. It is the active ingredient in most screen cleaners. Your handy neighbourhood p cook will have some.

jinja_thom
17-12-2009, 07:54 PM
I get it from the local Pharmacy, they look at me a bit sideways but still provide. The other way is to use milk which is very effective on biro ink.

Lawrence
17-12-2009, 08:08 PM
If you have insurance don't touch it,claim

Phil B
17-12-2009, 08:50 PM
You could try white spirit. I use it for cleaning marks & glue etc from plastic lenses with no ill effect

CYaBro
17-12-2009, 09:13 PM
The problem with a ball point pen is that, while you may be able to get the ink off, it has probably scratched the screen so no amount of cleaning will get that off. Seen it many times.
Claim on your contents insurance if you can.

linw
17-12-2009, 09:29 PM
What a bastard. I just tried my isapropynol based LCD cleaner and it had virtually no effect on the biro ink.

You are not alone! http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/7061.html

I'm sure you can get the ink off one way or another but because it is grooved, I'd go with the insurance suggestion. Those indentations will hack you off for the life of the monitor!

Good luck.

Metla
17-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Sweet, I have a bottle of ISO, I'll try that.

Since this incident it has been pointed out to me that blacks are flickering red, and now its been pointed out to me I see it all over the screen, so its probably near stuffed.

I have insurance, Never claimed anything on it......Maybe its time.

linw
17-12-2009, 10:41 PM
After we got burgled a few years ago, I found insurance a great way of updating the technology - like camera, TV, movie camera, stereo, VCR etc!!

Luckily they gave up on the computer because of all the wires attached. So, don't tidy behind the gear!

Greg
18-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Jeez. I hate frogs!

pctek
18-12-2009, 08:04 AM
I have insurance, Never claimed anything on it......Maybe its time.

That's what it's for Metla. I wouldn't even bother cleaning it, you'll make it look better. Claim it now.

AvonBill
18-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Methylated spirits is a solvent for biro ink but I have never tested it on an LCD screen.

Trev
18-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I think the screen might melt.
:)

bob_doe_nz
18-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Methylated spirits is a solvent for biro ink but I have never tested it on an LCD screen.

If you dilute it with water and use it on a damp cloth, it's fine.

angry
19-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Metla as you may not beat child, show child what will happen when his fingers end up in a reo cutter. then claim on ins.

Metla
19-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Child didn't do it out of malice, has no concept that he has damaged anything.

All I have done is move the pen.