PDA

View Full Version : New routers failing one after another

emm13
17-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I'm very much hoping that someone here can help me. I had been using the same Linksys router for about a year until it appeared to start giving me problems. The problems are many: my Internet connection will lag severely all of a sudden; traceroutes indicate massive congestion/packet loss on the first two hops; I am unable to access my router configuration at all (the connection times out.) The strange thing is that the connection is actually still alive, which means I can still chat through AIM, and in some cases, if I am in the middle of downloading something, the transfer will remain unaffected (although that has also become an issue since I swapped to newer routers.) In order to get things back to normal, I have to power cycle my router, or wait several minutes for it to right itself. But the problem returns within minutes.

So, after some rudimentary testing (ie. plugging my PC directly into the cable modem and bypassing the router), I decided that it was the router at fault. I went and picked up a new Linksys router, the WRT400N to be exact. It worked fine for a couple of days, but then the issues returned. I tested it again and arrived at the same conclusion: the router was at fault, because my network ran fine if I connected directly into the cable modem. I brought home a brand new WRT610N. That also failed a day later, to the point where power cycles didn't work at all. So after trying their tech support to no avail, I blamed it on the manufacturer and picked up a D-Link DIR-655 instead.

Well, this thing worked for a few days longer than the other ones, but now the problem is back. I am at my wit's end. What could possibly be the cause of such an issue? My PC is wired into the router, so I can't imagine it's an interference issue. Wireless connections to the router experience the same issues when they occur. I scanned my computer for viruses and it's completely clean. No other piece of electronics in my room is showing any signs of being defective, so it can't be the power source. I've swapped Ethernet cables several times, so it can't be that either. What am I missing here?

My sincerest thanks to anyone who can help me out!

wratterus
17-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

Have you swapped phone cabling and line filters?

Have you talked to your ISP about this issue?

What's the line attenuation according to the router when it's working right?

Does this change when the issue becomes apparent?

Have you tried using a different jack point in the house and unplugging everything else?

Have you encrypted the wireless?

emm13
17-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reponse!

Most of your questions don't apply as I am on a cable modem and not DSL, but when the issue first crept up, I did have my ISP send over a technician to check my connections, and he claimed the signal strength was within an acceptable range. However, that was before I did all this router swapping, so it may behoove me to call them again and see if they can offer a solution. I suppose I could ask them to replace my existing modem and see if it might be the one thing in my network that's screwing up the router.

I use WPA2 as the encryption method.

hueybot3000
17-12-2009, 05:43 PM
To rule out power source try using a different wall socket for a couple of days, also check your cables, while connected throw them around a bit and see if anything happens, could have a slight break in the ethernet cable.

Have you tried resetting the router, updating firmware?

Odd problem, but something that a tech should be able to sort for you. They can at least rule out line problems