PDA

View Full Version : Complete Noob seeking advice about networking.

bubbybrat
16-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Ok So I want to network my house. Headache starts..... Now...:badpc::help:

right so I have

1 Dlink DSL 604T router or something like that(You know the one telecom gave out to broadband customers.. Has the wireless and 4 Ports on the back)

1 pc in a bedroom running windows 7
1 pc in the lounge running windows 7
1 storage pc (well it will be if I can ever figure out how to get this to work) running win xp
1 Pc in the office. running win xp

1 5 port ethernet switch(god knows if I need it but I have one)

What I want to be able to do is have the Pc in the lounge and the one in the bedroom be able to see the files stored on the storage pc. i.e play the movie files in particular.

The office PC and the bedroom PC have to be able to access the internet but the other two do not.

What do i need to do apart from network them all... which is a little beyond me. At the most I can plug them all into the router and they can all access the internet but not see each other (Thats about my capabilities)

oh and just to throw a spanner in the works.... sometimes I take the bedroom pc around to a friends and plug into his network and play lan games and I dont want to frig with that.
Understandably I could always get him to come round and sort it all out for me but this is something I'd like to try on my own.

Any Help very much appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Share A folder on all of them in windows 7, right mouse on the LAN on the taskbar / open network and sharing center. Click on change advanced sharing on the left. Enable the 1st, 2nd, and disable password sharing if you dont want to use it. if you dont want to use homegroup. open computer highlight homegroup, change settings, select leave homegroup...

Change the workgroups to the same name..For the storage PC if its got Win7 on it go to the above and configure streaming. You may also have to configure WMP. Run it, then go to organize / manage libraries then add the folders (are these vids on the hdd)?? If you want I can configure one from here with teamviewer (it would have to have access to the net). Then you'll know what to do with the rest

Blam
16-12-2009, 10:16 PM
For them all to see each other you will have to do the following:

1. Join all PCs to the same workgroup(Right click my computer>properties>change>Type a name for the workgroup and use this name on ALL pcs)

2. Install this on the XP computers:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

If you have SP3, ignore step 2.

3. Enable file sharing on the 7 PCs:
To do this: Open Network and Sharing Centre from Control Panel>Change advanced sharing settings>Make sure these are turned ON:

-Network Discovery
-File and printer sharing

And Homegroup connections is set to user accounts and passwords.

Also, make sure your network location is set to Home and make sure you change the sharing settings for home.

4. If all else fails, make sure that any third party firewall you have is configured to allow file sharing, disable it and troubleshoot.

Once that is all done and all PCs can see each other then sharing the folders should be reasonably easy.

Cheers
Blam

bubbybrat
16-12-2009, 10:23 PM
and in doing so I should be able to open/play a file thats stored on the storage pc on the bedroom pc without having to copy it to the bedroom pc?

Blam
16-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Correct-you will be able to browse the shares through Windows explorer by selecting "Network" or by typing the path or ip in the addressbar of Windows explorer.

bubbybrat
17-12-2009, 05:25 PM
yup thats what I want to do.... Excellent.... thanks