PDA

View Full Version : Deleting punctuation from a "Word" compatible document.

Alan Gibb
16-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi you all,
When I copy an email to a word processor each line is automatically ended with a return arrow = the same as when you hit >shift>enter .
These can be deleted one-by-one but for a 6 page email this gets a bit tedious!

I understand that there is 'global' instruction for removing all punctuation from a document which allows the lines to be expanded to fill between the left and right margins.

You can then add your own paragraph endings and any other punctuations and so fill the lines and compress a long email to fewer pages.

Anyone know anything about this please?

Billy T
16-12-2009, 10:49 PM
You can use the "find & replace all" feature for that. Most of the jokes I post on Monday Laughs come with up to five >>> at every line break and I get rid of them all in seconds by replacing with nothing.

I'm doing it in Metapad (Notepad on steroids) but Word has the same type of find and replace function, just go to Edit>Find>Replace all and all will be revealed. You can use it to remove or add any punctuation or a word or phrase.

You wouldn't want to strip all punctuation though, you have to go back and add it in again, and if you removed all spaces you'd have the longest word in history (that's when 'Undo' saves your bacon).

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

MushHead
17-12-2009, 10:35 AM
In Word, the Shift+Enter combo gives you a line break. You can search for & replace these by using the "^l" (that's a lowercase L) pair, plus you can use "^t" for tabs, "^p" for paragraph ends, etc.

So hopefully, its just a matter of replacing "^l" with " " or nothing, depending on whether your email has trailing spaces before the end-of-line.

In other word processors, it'll probably be something different, but hopefully there's an equivalent you can use.