PDA

View Full Version : XL being delinquent

B.M.
16-12-2009, 09:27 PM
If it ainít one thing itís another. :rolleyes:

Years ago I set up an XL Spreadsheet for a local business. Itís worked perfectly for years and all of a sudden I get a call to say itís not adding properly. No problems, thinks I, somebody has messed with the formulas.

Well, no they havenít. I re-enter the formula which is as basic as they get but no luck.

Now the formula reads B5+K5-E5 or similar. It doesnít get much simpler. However it adds B5+K5 correctly but ignores E5. Iíve torn my hair out, but after some testing I find that XL is reading F5 as E5.

The damn thing is reading the wrong column. :confused:

I ran Repair but no luck there.

Iíve never seen an XL spreadsheet pull this one before so any thoughts anyone? :thanks

coldot
16-12-2009, 10:24 PM
That's got me fascinated. A spreadsheet that thinks E means F!
Can you create a new spreadsheet (same PC & same Excel) to try to confirm whether the fault lies in that specific spreadsheet or in that Excel application?

B.M.
17-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Yes I'm going back today to try and establish if it's the application or the specific spreadsheet.

My first thought was must be application so I ran Repair but to no avail.

Ran out of time yesterday so have another look today.

He runs Avast and I think I read somewhere where that programme had wrecked havoc with a bum update recently which is a concern.

Anyway, I'll see if I can't sort it out today but she sure looks like one from left field. :lol:

Parry
18-12-2009, 01:35 AM
I would doubt it reads the wrong column. Would be a corrupt file of major proportions if that was the case. You can attempt to repair an Excel file by opening Excel (but not the target file yet), then selecting File | Open and in the Open button that appears when navigating to find the file there is a drop down to the right of the word open which allows you to select the Open and Repair function.

I suspect the problem is more simple such as the workbook is on manual calculation rather than automatic so a recalculation of the result hasnt occurred or a basic maths error such as B5+K5-E5 will add the value of E5 if E5 is a negative (eg 1 + 2 --2 = 5). You may also get odd results if a cell is formatted as text rather than a number etc.

B.M.
20-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Well this looks like remaining a mystery because it's now working again. :confused:

My best guess is running repair did fix things, but it didn't happen until the computer was rebooted and XL reloaded.

Don't really know, but thanks to all who tried to help.