PDA

View Full Version : Restoring lost images from public computer

tse.chica
16-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Help!!

I have accidentally deleted about 1,000 very precious photos off my Canon camera´s memory card, by using a public computer.
I uploaded the contents of the card, hoping to share them with friends, while unknowingly deleting them at the same time.
The folder was on the computer when i left it... But i have been told by the owner of the hostel i am staying at, that everything is automatically deleted when the computer is turned off.

Please help!!

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 03:00 PM
If you get the right program (and they dont use it, which will make things worse), you should be able to retrieve them. Where are you?

tse.chica
16-12-2009, 03:03 PM
I am in Arica, Chile at the moment, on a computer at a hostel i am staying at.
I would definitely buy some software if it would work for me.

bevy121
16-12-2009, 03:07 PM
you should also have a good chance of recovering them from the memory stick itself...

dont use it in the camera till you try recovering them from it .

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 03:08 PM
One I use and have tried is this (http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/). It will even recover files / whatever if a computer cant see it (ie: a memory card). I managed to recover images off someone memory card, a while ago, that windows couldnt see. You would have to buy it. Since the trial will only show you what can be retrieved, but you cant bring them back, without buying it. In the meantime, I would make sure NOONE uses that computer. Because the more programs they install on it, the less chance you'll have of getting those images back. I would try the trial first, to see if it brings up your files. if it does, buy it so you can retrieve them. When you uploaded them from the card to the computer, are copies still on the card?? What did you delete them off the computer and the memory card??

tse.chica
16-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Speedy.

The computer has a program on it called CC Clean - we are currently trying to download a recovery program for that.

If anyone has any info that might help, it would be much appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 03:14 PM
So what did you delete the images off? The computer / the card, or both?? If you deleted them off the card as well. It wont matter if the computer is turned off. All you need is a card reader on that computer, and a data recovery program. Just dont use the memory card, until you get the images off it

linw
16-12-2009, 03:56 PM
If you haven't overwritten the memory card, there is an excellent chance of recovering all the images from it.

"Recuva" is worth a try http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features

If you are not in a position to do this job safely, store the card away and get it seen to later.

I hope you have success one way or the other.

Advice provided with all care and no responsibility!!

Blam
16-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Firstly, I wouldn't attempt recovering it from the PC. It it has been used then it has most probably already been overwritten.

Make sure you do not use the card until you have recovered your photos. If you do, it may overwrite them and vastly decrease your chances of recovering them.

Run Recuva, and do a deep scan.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

If it doesn't find your photos then there are other more advanced programs(some free, some cost) we can try later.

Blam