PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Certain E-Mails from particular senders.

B.M.
16-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Ok, a mate is still on dial-up with Paradise as an ISP.

He has a few friends that persist in sending him 1meg plus E-Mails which as you will appreciate take forever to download.

Now he has been going onto the Webmail sector of the Paradise site and just deleting them from there before he downloads what he wants to his computer. However, this has become tiresome, so he wishes to block all of certain sendersí mail from delivery.

I told him to talk to Paradise about it but, par for the course with most ISPís there is no service and he so far he hasnít been able to get answered.

So, does anyone on here know if or how this can be achieved?

Blocking the Sender or getting service, either would be good. :thanks

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 02:33 PM
What email program, is he using?

sal
16-12-2009, 02:55 PM
If he uses Outlook:

Download Only the Headers for Large Messages in Outlook

To make Outlook download only the headers of large messages automatically:

Select Tools | Send/Receive | Send/Receive Settings | Define Send/Receive Groups... from the menu.
Highlight the desired group.
Click Edit....
Go to the desired account in the Accounts list.
Make sure Download complete item including attachments is selected under Folder Options.
Now make sure Download only headers for items larger than is checked, too.
Enter the desired threshold.
The default 50 KB are pretty sensible.
Click OK.

Copy and pasted verbatim from an About.com article (http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/Download_Only_the_Headers_for_Large_Messages_in_Ou tlook.htm).

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 02:58 PM
In OL 2007, all you have to do is right mouse on it and select junk email / add sender to block senders list

B.M.
16-12-2009, 03:32 PM
I think he is using Outlook Express (Not sure of Version but quite old) but he really wants to stop them altogether.

By that I mean he doesnít want them left on the Paradise Server to eventually fill his mailbox and have required E-Mails returned unable to deliver, mailbox full.

He spends quite a lot of time at sea and some E-Mails are very important and include Air Tickets home and the like.

Will whatís already been suggested fit the bill? :thanks

Zippity
16-12-2009, 03:42 PM
MailWasherPro allows me to flag any email address and stop it from downloading once I open my email programme - in my case Thunderbird :)

linw
16-12-2009, 03:44 PM
What he really needs is a filter at the Paradise mail server and I have never heard of any standard ISP offering that.

My advice would be to switch to a gmail account. You can set filters there to do what he wants and, besides, he would never have to worry about storage excess.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Install something like poptray (http://www.poptray.org/). Put your login details for email in it. It'll notify you when you have email. If its from someone whos been sending these files, delete it from the program. Saves you going into whatever email client. You can add whoever to a blacklist (with their emails). If its in the list, it gets deleted. If whoever needs help with it, let me know

FoxyMX
16-12-2009, 03:56 PM
My advice would be to switch to a gmail account. You can set filters there to do what he wants and, besides, he would never have to worry about storage excess.

To expand on that suggestion, if Paradise allowing email forwarding he could create a filter to forward all mail to the Gmail account then create a "Has the words" filter in Gmail to delete all mail with the particular sender's email address in the email body.

He won't be able to block the mail using the "From" address as the filter because the mail will be coming from his own Paradise address which means ALL mail will be deleted.

Or, better still, if possible, have Paradise forward the offender's emails only to the Gmail account for Gmail to zap them. :thumbs:

FoxyMX
16-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Install something like poptray (http://www.poptray.org/).

The drawback with using this is that B.M.'s mate goes to sea for long periods which means that his inbox on Paradise's server is going to get overloaded with the large emails until he gets back and can clear them using PopTray.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 04:05 PM
If you add the email addresses to the blacklist, they'll get deleted from the server before you see it. Once it receives email, if it picks up an email that matches whats in the blacklist, (you set a rule), byebye email addy. Thats WHY its called a blacklist and why poptray has rules (delete from server is one of them)

PaulD
16-12-2009, 04:07 PM
What he really needs is a filter at the Paradise mail server and I have never heard of any standard ISP offering that.

You get up to 200 filter rules at Xtra.

FoxyMX
16-12-2009, 04:39 PM
If you add the email addresses to the blacklist, they'll get deleted from the server before you see it. Once it receives email, if it picks up an email that matches whats in the blacklist, (you set a rule), byebye email addy. Thats WHY its called a blacklist and why poptray has rules (delete from server is one of them)

Yes, but only if PopTray is actually running. B.M. doesn't say whether his mate's computer will be used by other family members while he is away or whether it will stay off until he gets back. If the latter then the emails will stay on the server until the computer and PopTray is next used. If the former then that would be the best solution.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 04:47 PM
True, it'd depend on whether its off or on (well it helps :p)

B.M.
16-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks Guy’s, the problem seems to be a little more complex than I’d hoped.

Just to fill in some spaces:

It is possible that his computer doesn’t get turned on whilst he’s away.

The Paradise Mail Box must be quite small or it just gets overwhelmed.

Like most of you, I can see how to deal with the problem given a certain set of circumstances but the parameters keep changing.

Personally, I think the only way to satisfy all parameters is to have the offending incoming mail stopped at the ISP server. They may well be able to oblige if you could ever get to speak to someone. :rolleyes:

Maybe he should ring them, go to sea for a couple of months and see if they’d answered when he got back? :lol:

PS I like the G-Mail option but the hangup there is changing and notifying everyone your known address.

FoxyMX
16-12-2009, 09:20 PM
PS I like the G-Mail option but the hangup there is changing and notifying everyone your known address.

The method I described regarding having all mail forwarded to a Gmail account means that he does not need to notify anyone of a change of address.

Emails from Gmail can still be downloaded into his email client just as with Paradise mail, but he would need to specify that his return address is the Paradise account, not the Gmail account when replying to emails.

Out of interest, has he tried telling the offenders that he no longer wants to receive jokes from them? If he doesn't want to offend them he could just say that he's going away and to stop sending them until he gets back.... but just "forget" to tell them when he is back. :p

B.M.
16-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks Foxy, I told him some time ago to do exactly what you suggest and tell the offenders, in the nicest possible way, to desist. ;)

It worked for a while, but these guys seem to have cottoned onto the wonderful Outlook facility of adding all names of people who send you something to your Address Book. :rolleyes:

Then, when you get a joke, or whatever, you forward it to your whole address book, including whoever sent it to you. :rolleyes:

Yes I know, the ISPís must love them. :lol: