PDA

View Full Version : Big Time Traffic Management - What's throttled and what's not?

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking at doing some documentation around Big Time, what's throttled and how bad, what's not etc...

Anybody else interested in assisting? You'd ideally need direct access to a Big Time connection (I wonder why), and need to know a bit about TCP / UDP Ports, your connection details, maybe one or two other things ...

I understand that it can and *does* change semi-regularly, but I'm still interested to learn more about it and I thought I'd see who else is :)

Cheers

Chill.

xyz823
16-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I'd be keep to help depending on what I need to know lol. (I can probabky google what I don't know though)

pcuser42
16-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I'll give it a go.

wratterus
16-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah sure.

On this note, can anyone stream this on Big Time without it buffering every half minute or so? I normally use VLC.

http://wms-11.streamsrus.com/dancehitshi

hueybot3000
16-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah I could help out, mates flat/my new home in 2 weeks, is on big time. From my experience bigtime could have waster added to the end cos its that bloody slow.

But I am used to cable so...

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Yup seems to stream fine here wratterus.

What happens if you use Windows Media Player instead of VLC? It's just I've noticed it's using Port 80 for streaming, and I'm beginning to suspect they're doing some kung-fu with identifying what applications are trying to use Port 80.

Example: I can download at around 20KB/sec through Google Chrome-4.0 Dev
Download through Firefox DTA (4 threads) at around 400KB/sec (100KB per-thread).

Same file, only difference is one is started 10 seconds later ...

xyz823
16-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Example: I can download at around 20KB/sec through Google Chrome-4.0 Dev
Download through Firefox DTA (4 threads) at around 400KB/sec (100KB per-thread).

Same file, only difference is one is started 10 seconds later ...

I have noticed the same thing.

Chris09
16-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking at doing some documentation around Big Time, what's throttled and how bad, what's not etc...

Anybody else interested in assisting? You'd ideally need direct access to a Big Time connection (I wonder why), and need to know a bit about TCP / UDP Ports, your connection details, maybe one or two other things ...

I understand that it can and *does* change semi-regularly, but I'm still interested to learn more about it and I thought I'd see who else is :)

Cheers

Chill.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind helping out at all, if I can that is.

I would be interested to find out the over all result of it.

Yeah sure.

On this note, can anyone stream this on Big Time without it buffering every half minute or so? I normally use VLC.

http://wms-11.streamsrus.com/dancehitshi

Yeah, I can. Takes one buffer. Then stops. Then one more buffer, 22 - 66 - 100% then away laughing without issue. This is also at 10:54 at night, and is usually noticeably slower at this time.

Agent_24
17-12-2009, 01:01 AM
I am trying to checkout the latest subversion of OpenWRT and it's taking forever. Network usage doesn't go above 4KB/s

I wonder if this is to do with Big Time or not

wratterus
17-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Hmm interesting - I have no end of trouble streaming it - just tried in WMP and it goes for around 20 secs to 40 secs then buffers again. Very frustrating. Any ideas where I could start looking for the problem?

gary67
17-12-2009, 06:44 AM
I would look at Telecom Wratty, i'm sure that's where you will find the problem

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Ah not specifically? I'm on Big Time and it's not throttled here.

What speeds are you sync'ing at? Modem make / model?

xyz823
17-12-2009, 08:12 AM
I have IDM installed so if a video on a site starts buffering I hit the download button, wait 10-20 sec and then watch it on VLC.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Doesn't help for live content streaming though ;)

xyz823
17-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Doesn't help for live content streaming though ;)

Yea thats my only problem with Big Time lol.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Why? It's generally pretty darn good?

Here's the inside scoop from Telecom:
They want users to be able to enjoy streaming video and things like that, but they *don't* want to encourage P2P ... What can't you stream?

hueybot3000
17-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know if telecom manages usage on all of new zealand or is it individual towns/exchanges?

Streaming and torrenting in chch seems to be pretty rubbish, general browsing is mint

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I know for a fact that if they're doing any form of management on other non-bigtime plans, it's definitely *not* the same as they do for bigtime

Are you on an ADSL2+ connection right now hueybot3000? Or ADSL1? Streaming generally blows on ADSL1...

hueybot3000
17-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm at home on 10MB cable atm lol But il be at the flat in a couple of hours so il post back then. How will I know if I'm adsl 1 or 2?

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Ah see Cable is *totally* different to ADSL.... ;)

That's a good question, what's your modem?

hueybot3000
17-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Thomson TG585 router, its disgusting, crashes all the time. Mate said its ADSL 2 ("well I'm pretty sure")

And yes cable is all round a much better experience, it will be hard to give up

xyz823
17-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Why? It's generally pretty darn good?

Here's the inside scoop from Telecom:
They want users to be able to enjoy streaming video and things like that, but they *don't* want to encourage P2P ... What can't you stream?

I've tried streaming some stuff from justin.tv and the sort. Used to work fine but on bigtime its ****. Also TVNZ on demand works sometimes and doesn't work others. So thats why I usually end up using rapidshare to get TV shows I missed.

Netsukeninja
17-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I recently emailed Telecom enquiring about what was being throttled, it turns out everything is.

"Please be advised that all our traffic on this plan is managed and may not be suitable for online games where speed is criticial [sic]"

They refused to provide me with anything technical information to do with what was being slowed.

"We are not privy to technical information on the plan and this includes speed management, times when it is expected to happen, off peak speeds etc."

xyz823
17-12-2009, 08:28 PM
I recently emailed Telecom enquiring about what was being throttled, it turns out everything is.

"Please be advised that all our traffic on this plan is managed and may not be suitable for online games where speed is criticial [sic]"

They refused to provide me with anything technical information to do with what was being slowed.

Yea they told me that rapidshare "wasn't" throttled when quite clearly it was. Free speeds dropped from 150-200KB/s to about 10KB/s.

Netsukeninja
17-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm just really pissed off. Slowly all of the online games I play/used to play are being slowed dramatically, making them impossible to play during "peak times" (connection timeouts, insane lag, etc). They were great to little or minor lag on Go Large. These games are less bandwidth intensive that someone spending 1hr on youtube, for a whole day of playtime.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I've found they generally *don't* throttle back games deliberately, but from what I've discovered there's almost a "catch-all" on higher ports that gaming falls in to. It's not an issue as games generally have very very low bandwidth requirements (Think 2-3KB/sec for client or 10-20KB/sec for host).
I play almost nightly NZ-only Warcraft III games, same for Borderlands, it's fine...

Yes, Rapidshare is throttled for certain! Some specific sites appear to be throttled on a per-IP or domain-name basis too.

Basically the idea of Big Time is so that everybody can enjoy the internet without worrying about caps or being slowed, so yes, some things such as torrents / P2P they try and slow, naturally with that other things accidentally get caught up. I *do* know that it changes on semi-regular basis what's "managed" and what's "less-managed"...

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2009, 08:56 PM
oBTW - Yes, those routers are absolute crap:
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

And yeah justin.tv is throttled here too. Works good for a few seconds then buffers for half a second, then plays again..

Agent_24
17-12-2009, 09:36 PM
The Onion goes really slow for me too

Netsukeninja
17-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Games I'm talking are things like, Archlord, Luminary, MapleStory, etc, those types of games, so far they are all throttled so much that the game is totally unplayable, even worse than dial-up.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Have you spoken with the Helpdesk about it?

xyz823
17-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, Rapidshare is throttled for certain! Some specific sites appear to be throttled on a per-IP or domain-name basis too.

There are ways to get around the Rapidshare throttling though. I can get upwards of 1MB/s (megabyte not megabit incase anyone is confused which I doubt lol) on a premium account with IDM.

Netsukeninja
17-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Have you spoken with the Helpdesk about it?

Yes, I emailed them, they were of no help. They just kept telling me to switch to another plan.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah it took me a lot of arguing with them, but if you persevere then they do start to take you seriously after a while ... Seriously though the helpdesk monkeys just don't know better. Just insist that no matter what you're not changing plans, and they're going to have to try something else.

Where are the Maplestory servers you play on based outta?

Netsukeninja
18-12-2009, 12:18 AM
North America, probably California

Agent_24
18-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Yeah but they even said in that TV ad, "at peak times things like filesharing and gaming will be slowed down"

I mean, they already said it, if the games are slowed down you can't really complain. Sure it's stupid but they already told you that's what they were going to do...

It will probably get better eventually though, they will get better at working out which traffic to throttle and what not to

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Yeah and it's kinda hard at first as they start out, coz if they miss a whole lotta stuff so as not to piss off early adopters, then they're gonna have HUGE traffic issues on their hands..

xyz823
18-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Just tried something from MediaFire (no account) and was getting 1.3MB/s with IDM. So I dont think they throttle that lol.

But as you say chill, hopefully it will get better. People will get sick of it and jump ship while they are still getting their systems in place. But when they get it all worked out it should be sweet as. (If it isn't already :D)

Sweetheart
18-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Not to sure if this counts for anything, but I've notice since changing to Big Time sometimes the youtube clips don't always stream perfectly on default option. All I do is click on HQ /HD button and about 85% of the time it's streams without any problems without buffering.