PDA

View Full Version : Windows Server Update Service

Tony
15-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I am trying to find a free/cheap-ish product that does the same thing as WSUS but doesn't require Windows server as the base OS. I would like to be able to run it from a Win Vista/Win 7 machine.

Is anyone aware of such a beast?

gary67
15-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Now that could be useful if such a thing exists

razzarphenix
15-12-2009, 07:51 PM
It used to be possible with a bit of tweaking to get WSUS installed on XP.

Blam
15-12-2009, 09:27 PM
It used to be possible with a bit of tweaking to get WSUS installed on XP.

Yep, plenty of resources on that in Google.

Alternatively, would Autopatcher (http://www.autopatcher.com/) be a viable option?

Blam

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I tried AP earlier, with XP. When it got to the end it failed, twice

Dont know if theres a prob with the latest version. Or something I did. It was fine, till it got to the end / 100%

Tony
16-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I haven't found anything that encourages me to think you could satisfactorily run WSUS on Vista/XP/Win7, but I have found that you can install it on Windows Home Server. It is apparently not supported, but does appear to work. As WHS is based on Windows Server 2003, that ought not to be too surprising. I've done the install, which worked fine - all I have to do now is to work out how to make it operate :).
One thing that is not clear is whether the WHS limitation of 10 computers would also apply to WSUS. There is a limitation of 10 "clients", which presumably means 10 instances of the WHS connector on other PCs, but whether that also applies to WSUS is not clear to me.

Can anyone suggest how I can prove/disprove this, as I don't have access to > 10 PCs in my environment, but in the environment I am envisiging, I will?

SolMiester
16-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I found this..............

first u have to change some registry entries ... in order to do this i used a windows which boots from cd (like knoppix)

you have to open regedit
and choose the branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

then you have to choose LOAD HIVE and open c:\windows\system32\config\ and load the file SYSTEM

(you'll get a new branch which u can name as you like [make sure you are on the right drive])

now choose the new branch
and choose SETUP there you'll find SYSTEMPREFIX
and change its Value (change the last 4 bytes to 00 00 32 DC)

the next value you have to change is in one of the controlsets

they look like controlset001 controlset002 ...controlset00x

to get the number of the branch you have to choose you have to choose the branch WINDOWS and there is an item SELECT
there you'll find a key named CURRENT
the value of this is number of your controlset

now choose this controlset and change the value of PRODUCTTYPE in CONTROLSET00x\CONTROL\PRODUCTOPTIONS

it has the Value WinNT and you have to change it to ServerNT

after you have done this
unload the hive and reboot your windows
it will now boot as windows server family

\after installing wsus
you have to undo the registry changes
and reboot
if the WsusAdminpage shows an error that the wsusservice could not start probably you have to go to CONTROL PANEL and then open ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS there you have to search for UPDATE SERVICE in the SERVICE section

edit the properties and choose the tab LOG ON

there you change settings to local account

You could try on a VM on XP...

Tony
16-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I found this..............Thanks for all the info. However I'm not sure what context you are referring to. Does this enable me to run WSUS on XP, or are you referring to WHS? Maybe you could provide a link to your source?

SolMiester
16-12-2009, 11:17 AM
WSUS on XP

http://www.wsus.info/index.php?showtopic=4962

Tony
16-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks - I'll try it out when I have a bit of time.

What is that "Load Hive" bit all about?

SolMiester
16-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Hive is the user dat\profile or system user profile....