PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Problem 5 PC's connecting to the modem

Civic
15-12-2009, 10:50 AM
In our house we have 5 PC's 4 run a version of Vista as the default OS and the other runs XP. For a while we have had problems getting a internet connection sustained as it cuts out sometimes when other PC's start up and using the internet.
4 of the Computers use wireless and one is connected by a Ethernet cable.
My Laptop running Vista Business generally has no problem with this connection however it is the least used.
Also using a version of Linux (Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10 and Xubuntu 9.10) the PC's have no problem with the connections.
Even occasionally the PC connected by Ethernet has this problem as well although it is a lot less often.
Also not all the PC's are connected to the modem at the same time and even now when my PC is the only one online it is still having a few problems.
Any Suggestions on what to do?

SolMiester
15-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Common denominator is the router, therefore I would suggest checking for new firmware. How old is the router?, the switch unit of it could be failing...not a linksys is it?

Civic
15-12-2009, 11:21 AM
It's a DLINK DSL G04T and we got it when we switched over to Ihug (now Vodafone) so it is a bit old I guess will look for an update.

Civic
15-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Ok I've got the Fireware Update but it needs the IP address of the router and its telenet password which we either don't have or don't know. How do you find the IP address is it in cmd ipconfig ?

wratterus
15-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Yep ipconfig - telnet to the default gateway and try admin for the username and password, if that's what they recommend doing in the firmware update instructions. Often you can just browse to the router in your web browser an update that way.

SolMiester
15-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Yep ipconfig - telnet to the default gateway and try admin for the username and password, if that's what they recommend doing in the firmware update instructions. Often you can just browse to the router in your web browser an update that way.

Yeah, +1 for that advice..telnet is quite anal!.....there should be a system page for firmware updates and restores etc.....

Civic
15-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Ok so what should I type into CMD besides IPconfig to find the telnet password if it is changed from admin (think we did change it and can't remember what it is)

wratterus
15-12-2009, 12:13 PM
You can't find out what it is - forget telnet for now it's a pain in the arse for doing firmware updates.

What's your default gateway, 10.1.1.1? If that's it, or whatever it is, type that into your web browser (where you would normally put in the address of a website)

You should be prompted for a username and password. If the details are default it's probably admin for the username and password, if you've changed the details and forgotten them you would need to reset the router to factory and then re-configure form scratch.

Edit - holy crap google is awesome. A quick google just to confirm the default username and password for this router and this thread is the first one in the list from a worldwide search. :eek:

Chilling_Silence
15-12-2009, 01:08 PM
yeah PressF1's awesome like that. Often times I've posted about a problem, Google'd for it 30 minutes later and seen a result and though "OMG! Somebody has EXACTLY the same problem as me!", turns out it's my own PF1 thread :p

Anyways, see here:
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/
And here:
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/pc-router-failing-it-might-be-overheating/

nedkelly
15-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Hey Civic is my mate and he txt me to post and say that he tried firmware update and failed and now modem is on but not broadcasting. And he does not have the setup cds. Think I will pop around and see what could have happened. Also suggested a reset to factory settings. But he does not know all the internet settings so he not really wanting to do that.

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2009, 11:12 PM
So what is it? a DSL G604T?? If it is, the firmware update doesnt say anything about telnet, or ask for a password. Since you load it from within the router's settings. Did he download it from the Dlink site??

Did he buy this modem or is it one of telecom's routers?? If its one of xtra's there are no updates for it. There's only updates for the other DSL-G604T (GenII), which is here (http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/download.aspx?product=DSL-G604T-GenII_NZ&revision=REV_C&filetype=Firmware).

From the Dlink site

How to recover router with corrupt firmware

If your modem/router is not responding after changing some settings in it or after unsuccessful firmware upgrade, please try the below steps. Download the latest Firmware for your modem/router. Choose the EXE version of firmware as opposed to WEB version. The steps after Step 6 are only applicable to EXE version of firmware.

Step 1. Try resetting the router to factory defaults by pressing the Reset button at the back of the router for 10 seconds. The router' power should be on when you are pressing the button.

Step 2. Set your computer with static IP address. To do that go to Start > [Settings] > Control Panel > [Network and Internet Connection] > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on the Properties button. Specify the following settings:

IP address: 10.1.1.99
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 10.1.1.1
Preferred DNS: 10.1.1.1
Alternate DNS: 4.2.2.2

DNS server addresses can be replaced with your ISP's DNS addresses.

Step 3. Temporarily disable firewall and antivirus protection on your computer. To disable WindowsXP built-in firewall go to Start > Control Panel > [Network and Internet Connection] > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > Advanced > Settings. Set Firewall to OFF.
If you have some other firewall and antivirus software installed, please refer to the software manuals on how to disable it.

Step 4. Make sure that the router is on. Connect one end of the Ethernet cable (blue network cable) to your router and another end to your hub/switch. Your computer should also be connected to the hub/switch. If you do not have a hub/switch, connect the other end of the cable directly to your computer's network adapter.

Step 5. Click on Start > Run and type 'cmd'. Click OK. In the black DOS prompt type the following commands finishing each one with Enter:
arp 10.1.1.1 -d
arp 10.1.1.1 -d
arp 10.1.1.1 -d
ping 10.1.1.1 -t

You may see messages like 'Entry was not found', it is normal. You should see repeated message 'Request timed out'. If you are seeing 'Reply from
10.1.1.1', your router is already responding.

Step 6. (Note: this step is not suitable for Windows Vista) Launch the Firmware Upgrade Utility (the EXE version of the firmware) by double-clicking on it. When firmware upgrade window pops up, select the 'Corrupted Image Mode' option and click Next.
You will be prompted to disconnect power from your modem/router. Disconnect the power cable from your modem router and after about 10 seconds click Next.
You will be prompted to connect power back to your modem/router. Connect the power cable to the modem/router within 10 seconds. Firmware upload will
proceed automatically after that. Click on the Finish button to complete the upload.

Your DOS window should now be displaying continuous messages 'Reply from 10.1.1.1'.

Step 7. Repeat Step 5. Then try to log into your router via http://10.1.1.1. You will be prompted to enter username and password. Username: admin, password: admin.

You can now configure your router for your Internet connection under Home > WAN. Once finished with the settings, click on Apply and then save the settings into the router's memory under Tools > [System] > Save & Reboot.

Troubleshooting
If during firmware upload procedure you got a message 'FTP Timeout. The device IP address is 192.168.12.199' (address may vary).
Close the firmware update utility. Disconnect power from your modem/router. Set your computer with a different IP address as suggested in the message (in this example it is 192.168.12.100.
Then repeat the above procedure starting from Step 4. After finishing uploading firmware (before Step 7), change your computer's IP address back to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. After loading firmware the modem/router's IP address will be 10.1.1.1.

Chris09
15-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Just make sure you find out the username and pass, I would imagine it would be PPPoE/PPPoA for stand home users, without any other configs except for wireless. If you don't know the username & password, simply ring up the ISP. Other than that, I would imagine there would be nothing else, if he cannot recall changing any other settings for connectivity.

Agent_24
16-12-2009, 12:02 AM
The firmware upgrade script that comes with OpenWRT can also recover some D-link routers, as long as the ADAM2 bootloader is still working. If everything else is trashed it can still reflash it.

Other than that, you can use a JTAG cable

nedkelly
16-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Civic checked the label with the info from Dlink on it and it is a DSL-G04T/AU. Been looking on the NZ/AUS Dlink site but cannot find it. Any ideas?

nedkelly
16-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I just got him to check the label again and turns out that there was a smudge covering the 6 in the model number

nedkelly
16-12-2009, 10:14 AM
It's a DLINK DSL G04T and we got it when we switched over to Ihug (now Vodafone)
So guessing speedy that Vodafone does not have its own firmware?

Agent_24
16-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Telecom had slightly modified firmware for the old DSL-302G but I haven't seen any DSL-G604T that had customised firmware

http://www.dlink.co.nz/tech/Default.asp It'll be in the list somewhere

Civic
16-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Ok back online now and Nedkelly was able to fix everything!
Turns out the firmware had to be installed using XP and not Vista so the update I done corrupted the current one and left us without a connection.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 04:45 PM
The only firmware on the dlink site was telecom's . Unless vodafone have their own on their site, dunno. Must be completely different (if you brought this modem). Since you dont use telnet, you upgrade it through tools / firmware, in the router

Civic
16-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I got the firmware from the Dlink Site with this link
http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/download.aspx?product=DSL-G604T_NZ&revision=REV_B&filetype=Firmware
and choosing the exe, and NedKelly seemed to have the same one as well.
We got the modem with Ihug (now Vodafone) and upgraded it through this exe rather then the modem's ip address in the browser.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Did you check to make sure the revision was B before you installed it? Since there's A and C (which is what I use) here. Its under the upgrade firmware option that you shouldnt use Vista

WARNING: DO NOT upgrade the firmware through a wireless connection. You may damage the router. Note that you will have to reconfigure the router after upgrading.

FIRMWARE UPGRADE STEPS

- You may have two options with the new firmware:
# (A) *RECOMMENDED OPTION* WEB Interface binary (WEB) file.
# (B) Firmware upgrade utility (EXE) file. Note: this option is not suitable for Windows Vista.

And

Step 1. Download the .BIN (WEB) firmware file from the DOWNLOADS folder of the product tree. Please ensure to check the Revision of your router via the silver sticker on the bottom of the device. Ensure to download the appropriate firmware (WEB) for your Revision. NOTE: Ensure to download the .BIN (WEB) Firmware file and not the EXE. If the firmware file comes in compressed (ZIP) format, extract it and note the folder you've extracted/saved it to. To extract ZIP files you can use Windows XP or a utility from www.winzip.com.

Agent_24
16-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Ok back online now and Nedkelly was able to fix everything!
Turns out the firmware had to be installed using XP and not Vista so the update I done corrupted the current one and left us without a connection.

Same thing happened to someone else on this forum, they tried to upgrade with Vista and couldn't, and had to recover in XP.

D-Link should put a warning on their site somewhere

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Same thing happened to someone else on this forum, they tried to upgrade with Vista and couldn't, and had to recover in XP.

D-Link should put a warning on their site somewhere

They did its under upgrade firmware. Thats where I pasted my previous post from

nedkelly
16-12-2009, 07:58 PM
yes speedy I checked to make sure it was B. It wont let you do it through wireless. Has to be ethernet. Oh Agent there is a reminder in a zip file giving you instructions on what to do, that says does not work in vista.

Agent_24
16-12-2009, 10:45 PM
yes speedy I checked to make sure it was B. It wont let you do it through wireless. Has to be ethernet. Oh Agent there is a reminder in a zip file giving you instructions on what to do, that says does not work in vista.

Oh well thats good then I guess.

But did the original problem get solved?

Civic
16-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah original problem has been solved from what I know, it hasn't acted up much but time will tell if it is still a problem.

Civic
17-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Ok its started acting up again today on my PC but not sure about the other ones.
I will be getting a new wireless adaptor though so my PC will probably be fine after that but what about the others?
I'm going to get this http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=3218
any suggestions on something better for the same price?