PDA

View Full Version : XP to Win 7 upgrade - backup what ?

cowboy stu
15-12-2009, 08:12 AM
ok so going to format XP and install win7
All data off ok.
What else will I need for a seamless transition?
ISP settings ? Will win7 find the dir-300 and connect ?

Any thing else ?

SolMiester
15-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Just your data, docs, photos, music, though if copied protected, DRM will stop playing...did you run a check on compatibility for peripherals?, ie printers, other older devices?....
Windows 7 should have its own driver for almost everything....ISP setting are held on the router, so nothing to do there either! (err, what is dir 300)? USB modem? or ethernet router?

Chilling_Silence
15-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Nothing.

When installing Win7, it'll put make a new folder called windows.old
In that windows.old folder it'll put your existing:
Documents and Settings
Program Files
Program Files (x86)
User
Windows

The drive doesn't need to be wiped during install, so it's all safe and makes upgrading that little bit more painless :)

If you're connecting via WiFi to your DIR-300, you'll need to have the WEP / WPA Key saved somewhere, same for your email settings. The rest, you can simply move to their correct directories once you've finished the installation.

cowboy stu
15-12-2009, 09:17 AM
yep d- link router ( dir 300 )
Have done compatibility check so all go there .
Thanks.. all sounds simple :)

linw
16-12-2009, 03:37 PM
yep d- link router ( dir 300 )
snip
Thanks.. all sounds simple :)

Oooohhhh, you should NEVER have used those words!! Oh, woe is me (you). Pray to whatever gods you believe in.

Blam
16-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Nothing.

When installing Win7, it'll put make a new folder called windows.old
In that windows.old folder it'll put your existing:
Documents and Settings
Program Files
Program Files (x86)
User
Windows

The drive doesn't need to be wiped during install, so it's all safe and makes upgrading that little bit more painless :)

If you're connecting via WiFi to your DIR-300, you'll need to have the WEP / WPA Key saved somewhere, same for your email settings. The rest, you can simply move to their correct directories once you've finished the installation.

Yep, bloody great feature. I always do a backup just in case though.

Once you've grabbed anything you need, run disk cleanup on 7 and check Windows Upgrade files to clean the old stuff out.