PDA

View Full Version : HHD won't boot from any other PC!

Chris09
14-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey all

Having a little trouble at the moment, just fixing a PC up for a friend. Basically it's a 1.3GhZ Celeron/512MB DDR/IDE 80G/IDE 40G/WinXP Home Ed.

I booted it up, it works fine, just slow as they said. I realized I didn't put the Ethernet plug in - they don't have one because they use dial up. I thought about driving to my supplier and getting a freebie PCI Ethernet card, but then I realized I could just move the HDD and work on it from another PC. Turns out I'm wrong.

I've tried it on two of my spare, fulling working without-error PCs

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.9GhZ/2G DDR
Intel Celron 2.7GhZ/1G DDR

I continually get the blue error screen after it boots from BIOS. I cannot get in to Safe mode either, as it just restarts. I then turned off automatic restart to see the error message it is..

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF78AD528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

There most likely will be some malware on it, tis why it's slow but it's working on their PC fine.

Well I don't know about any HDD controllers at all, perhaps something in BIOS I'm suppose to change for some.. reason?

Well, I don't know if it's configured and terminated.. lol. Normally one would just plug in the HDD, and if it was driver related I could access Safe Mode and fix it, but it appears to be a hard ware problem.

And the HDD isn't corrupted, because if it was, I wouldn't be able to run it on the other PC.

The error message appears on both of my machines. If nothing works I'll go get me a PCI Erthernet card, which I assume with a download of the correct driver... which actually could take awhile to find.. would work.

Otherwise if I fix this, I'll just be able to carry on, easy peasy. But I'm stuck as to what the problem is...

Thanks for the help in advance!

PS: I think the reason is.. that the hard drive contains all the drivers and hardware set up from their old system, and won`t work with the new hardware in my PC...

Just double checking to see whether that is the case. If it is, I need to go get me a PCI card then?

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Did you jumper it before adding it to the dual core?? You cant add it to another system and boot from it. Since the hardware is different. Thats why its crashing. Change the boot disk in the BIOS, to the dual core's hdd then boot from the dual core's hdd, then scan it

Chris09
14-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Nope, I haven't done any jumping, nor have I actually physically done it before.

Yeah, I figured as much.

What do you mean by scan it?

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Scan it for malware, if thats why you're adding it to the dual core's case. What kind of hdd is the dual core booting from?? IDE or SATA?? Did you add the celeron's hdd by itself to one of the dual core's IDE connections? Or put it on something like the cd's IDE connection?? If you did, it needs to be jumpered (its on the back to slave) or master, depending on what the main IDE device is set to

Agent_24
14-12-2009, 09:45 AM
You can't just take the HDD from one machine and try to boot it in another.

Since the hardware is completely different you will have problems (most common being BSOD like you are having now)

Even if it did work, you'd end up changing all the drivers around and it then may no longer work in the original computer, and you could end up with even more problems than you started with.

If you want to scan for viruses, don't boot from it. Boot from your normal HDD and scan it from there.

Then put it back where it belongs and do any extra work there.

Chris09
14-12-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm also wanting to install MSE, give it a general clean, fix email problems as well, not just for Malware, otherwise I would have slaved it.

The Dual Core is only booting from the HDD I'm trying to work on, but everything is IDE.

Well I'm trying to use it on my Intel Celeron 2.7GhZ/1G RAM and it still doesn't work, so yes. It is that conflict of hard ware.

So... my only option is to go and get a PCI Ethernet card for that PC, since all mine are onboard for my PCs, stick it in, find the driver for it from another PC, install, and then I'm sweet as sugar?

Agent_24
14-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Just get the cheapest Realtek 8139 card you can find.

They are cheap chips but you can get drivers for just about every OS on the planet for them.

Then you can use it for anything else in the future

Chris09
14-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Excellent, I've rang my supplier, gonna go get one now. =D

Cheers guys!

pctek
14-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey all

Having a little trouble at the moment, just fixing a PC up for a friend.

I realized I could just move the HDD and work on it from another PC. Turns out I'm wrong.

Not to be rude but what are you doing "fixing" it if you don't even know that? Of course you can't move the drive - if you were lucky enough to have it boot it would then have replaced all their drivers.

If you want to scan for malware, slave the drive or use a USB connection.

Leave it to a pro before you make things worse.

Agent_24
14-12-2009, 11:34 AM
On the other hand since it couldn't boot and replace the drivers there should be no damage done and he just learnt something which is always a good thing

inphinity
14-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Why not just copy the software you need to a USB drive or CD and install it on the other PC, rather then buying a NIC, installing it, yada yada? Seems like a very time consuming way to run a virus & malware scan.

Chris09
14-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Not to be rude but what are you doing "fixing" it if you don't even know that? Of course you can't move the drive - if you were lucky enough to have it boot it would then have replaced all their drivers.

If you want to scan for malware, slave the drive or use a USB connection.

Leave it to a pro before you make things worse.

I wasn't aware of the situation until this morning, and if worse came to worse, simply slave and back up the documents.

I'm trying to understand, how things could have been worse? The possible outcomes of this are nothing short of a bit of extra work. I also have the people I've worked with if I need any extra help, which I haven't as of yet. Also I always back up my client's PC so they knowingly are satisfied that their data is secure.

And it's not just malware.. cleaning consists of making the PC faster, malware scans, installing new programs and browsers, updating and installing new anti viruses etc. Perhaps I should be far more specific as to what I was actually doing, even though that was not part of the problem in the first place.

Just because I don't focus my whole life around computers and know every single bit of knowledge there is to know, doesn't mean I cannot try and fix it or use trial and error. I'm sure, without your pride getting in the way about admitting it, that you had to take some risks and have made mistakes in order to learn more about computers (or anything for that matter), like the rest of human kind.

Thank you kindly, for your unneeded comments.

On the other hand since it couldn't boot and replace the drivers there should be no damage done and he just learnt something which is always a good thing

Exactly, and I've also learned that so called 'pros' need to learn not to get up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning. Today has been very productive.

wainuitech
14-12-2009, 01:54 PM
On the other hand since it couldn't boot and replace the drivers there should be no damage done and he just learnt something which is always a good thing YEAH :groan: Possibly at someone elses expence.

Pctek wrapped it up nicely.

Blam
14-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Just because I don't focus my whole life around computers and know every single bit of knowledge there is to know, doesn't mean I cannot try and fix it or use trial and error. I'm sure, without your pride getting in the way about admitting it, that you had to take some risks and have made mistakes in order to learn more about computers (or anything for that matter), like the rest of human kind.

There's a point there, and learning via trial and error is a good technique, however I think you should be doing this to PCs you own rather than risking other PCs that aren't...

The reason in your PS is right, and sudden change in drive controller is probably causing the BSOD.

You shouldn't have been booting from the PCs HD anyways, if you suspect malware slave the HDD and scan from your own OS.

Blam

Zippity
14-12-2009, 02:17 PM
"What do you mean you won't honour the warranty on my Ferrari?"

"I only took the motor apart to see what the problem was and after I put it back together again, I was left with this small box of parts!"

inphinity
14-12-2009, 03:21 PM
"What do you mean you won't honour the warranty on my Ferrari?"

"You drove it, they're not meant to be driven, driving them voids the warranty!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. F-cars :rolleyes:.

SolMiester
14-12-2009, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=Chris09;849021

And it's not just malware.. cleaning consists of making the PC faster, malware scans, installing new programs and browsers, updating and installing new anti viruses etc. Perhaps I should be far more specific as to what I was actually doing, even though that was not part of the problem in the first place.

Thank you kindly, for your unneeded comments.

[/QUOTE]

You do realise that you are teaching an experienced tech how to ........suck eggs, dont you?

The point was, trying to boot from a HDD from another PC is a N00b offense and is punishable by public humiliation!

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I find it funny how some people in here have "clients". Do some / any of your clients (if any of your clients, inc others), know some of you know nothing? If I were your client, and you had no idea WTF you were doing, or how to do it, You wouldnt get paid.

You SHOULD know what youre doing, and how to do it, before you start. If you dont, take it to someone who does

Chris09
14-12-2009, 04:02 PM
There's a point there, and learning via trial and error is a good technique, however I think you should be doing this to PCs you own rather than risking other PCs that aren't...

The reason in your PS is right, and sudden change in drive controller is probably causing the BSOD.

You shouldn't have been booting from the PCs HD anyways, if you suspect malware slave the HDD and scan from your own OS.

Blam

I don't understand the risks; people are making out like this was a big deal. Yet now I've finished the general clean, uninstalled Norton, and it's zipping away?

It was, and now I've learned that from experience, and won't ever think of doing that again.

I know that, but just a general clean, make it faster. Tis all.

You do realise that you are teaching an experienced tech how to ........suck eggs, dont you?

The point was, trying to boot from a HDD from another PC is a N00b offense and is punishable by public humiliation!

I don't believe I was teaching anyone to suck eggs. I believe I've reminded PcTek, that is all.

Charming. Well, if I ever see you make any mistake at all I shall remind myself to be the better person, and not to be such an arse. It's very mean and uncalled for; Nothing went wrong. It's a minor factor that I've learned from.

I find it funny how some people in here have "clients". Do some / any of your clients (if any of your clients, inc others), know some of you know nothing? If I were your client, and you had no idea WTF you were doing, or how to do it, You wouldnt get paid.

You SHOULD know what youre doing, and how to do it, before you start. If you dont, take it to someone who does

I don't know 'nothing' and they are aware of my ability yes. They are quite happy with it and I always make backups, like everyone should before any work is done anyway. Well if you were my client you wouldn't need me. Besides which, I said it was for a friend's, but I treat them as clients so everything is done properly, and they still get the paperwork.

And I know what I'm doing for the most part, I did not expect the circumstance and I've now learned from it. Besides which I do know tech folks that I have worked with, who would be there for support, like I'm sure you all have.

Now, hopefully everyone has finished tramping and humiliating me - which is totally uncalled for again - otherwise I'm up for round 3. :sleep

SolMiester
14-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't understand the risks; people are making out like this was a big deal.

I don't believe I was teaching anyone to suck eggs. I believe I've reminded PcTek, that is all.

Okay, 1st, trying to boot with a different config can result in corruption of system files from BSOD...hence, noob offense and public beating...oops, I mean public humiliation!

As for PCT, correct me if I am wrong, but you went on to describe a PC cleaning method to a tech who has their own business?!....tut tut tut....

hueybot3000
14-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't know 'nothing' and they are aware of my ability yes. They are quite happy with it and I always make backups, like everyone should before any work is done anyway.

Why would you backup for a cleanup? And how do you backup? USB Drive? Anyone who has installed windows on a computer will know that you can't just switch drives around different hardware. Windows 7 is pretty clever like that but I remember destroying a windows XP install way back by doing what you did.

And don't take on PCTek, she knows her stuff just as much, if not more than anyone on here. And she's pretty tough for a woman :cool:

wainuitech
14-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Why would you backup for a cleanup? I Have actually seen drives go completely unbootable and data lost, even after a so called simle clean up of spyware or viruses.

When ever I workon someones PC I clone the drive before I start, that way if it all turns to custard at least theres a complete copy of the original drive - once the jobs finished the clone gets wiped.

I don't understand the risks; people are making out like this was a big deal. Yet now I've finished the general clean, uninstalled Norton, and it's zipping away?
Its not always plain sailing - its a matter of having the having the knowledge to get out the sh1t when things do go wrong.

Every one has to learn - BUT not at the expense of someones data - if it did turn to crap because of a n00b ( as Sol so politely put it :D ) mistake would you know how to recover ???

And don't take on PCTek, she knows her stuff just as much, if not more than anyone on here :thumbs:Shes basically pointing out the same thing anyone who does this for a living ( me included) has seen countless times - some people think they know what they are doing, and when it all turns to :eek: they are lost.

Classsic example I have here right now - a customers PC, the so called "local Expert" , not only managed to remove system files and make the system unbootable trying to remove a trojan, but the people are crapping themselves because all their data appears to be gone. ??? The poor lady was in tears this morning while I was there.

Linux says the drives empty - Same with windows when slaved. The data recovery program the "expert" tried shows empty ????

So far I have recovered around 15GB of their data and music and family photos -- the rest will take a few more hours yet, but its comming. ;)

wainuitech
14-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Just adding to above - Now I have my own Office PC back up and going (excuse the muck up in the comments above, the one I used was slowwwwww , no spell check etc - old workshop PC).

Anyway the point, sometimes simple tasks go wrong -- Just finished putting in the complete system backup from last night, as after doing a clean with ccleaner, for some reason the damn thing instantly crashed, causing all sorts of system damage, and wouldn't boot, W7 - obviously something it didn't like.

Can happen to the best of us at any time :p

PS: the case I mentioned above about recovering data - 16.8GB and counting

Chris09
14-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Okay, 1st, trying to boot with a different config can result in corruption of system files from BSOD...hence, noob offense and public beating...oops, I mean public humiliation!

As for PCT, correct me if I am wrong, but you went on to describe a PC cleaning method to a tech who has their own business?!....tut tut tut....

Right, well if that corruption had taken place, then it wouldn't have mattered, because I do full back ups anyway.

I don't have any relationships with anyone here. How and why would I know that? I have more things to worry about, than someone else's personal life believe it or not. But congratz anyway.

Why would you backup for a cleanup? And how do you backup? USB Drive? Anyone who has installed windows on a computer will know that you can't just switch drives around different hardware. Windows 7 is pretty clever like that but I remember destroying a windows XP install way back by doing what you did.

And don't take on PCTek, she knows her stuff just as much, if not more than anyone on here. And she's pretty tough for a woman :cool:

Why does anyone backup? I'll let you answer that yourself. Yes by USB.

How would someone who installs Windows on a computer know that you cannot switch drives around different hardware? I don't know how you install Windows, but I don't move any drives in the process.

Haha, so you did too huh? Bad luck. I suppose I was very lucky that I wasn't pwned eh?

I don't take on anyone, nor like to. However I do not allow people to trample on me, whether more experienced or no. There are better ways to explain something than being rude.

I Have actually seen drives go completely unbootable and data lost, even after a so called simle clean up of spyware or viruses.

When ever I workon someones PC I clone the drive before I start, that way if it all turns to custard at least theres a complete copy of the original drive - once the jobs finished the clone gets wiped.

Its not always plain sailing - its a matter of having the having the knowledge to get out the sh1t when things do go wrong.

Every one has to learn - BUT not at the expense of someones data - if it did turn to crap because of a n00b ( as Sol so politely put it :D ) mistake would you know how to recover ???

:thumbs:Shes basically pointing out the same thing anyone who does this for a living ( me included) has seen countless times - some people think they know what they are doing, and when it all turns to :eek: they are lost.

Classsic example I have here right now - a customers PC, the so called "local Expert" , not only managed to remove system files and make the system unbootable trying to remove a trojan, but the people are crapping themselves because all their data appears to be gone. ??? The poor lady was in tears this morning while I was there.

Linux says the drives empty - Same with windows when slaved. The data recovery program the "expert" tried shows empty ????

So far I have recovered around 15GB of their data and music and family photos -- the rest will take a few more hours yet, but its comming. ;)

Yes and so have I, because those files are infected. But regardless I backup before I do any work anyway, it doesn't matter what I do. That is customer satisfaction right there, and I have a referral if I am unable to help or cannot do what is asked. I have not come to that stage at all.

Good on you for cloning. Much reassurance with a backup.

Well, that is why I backup, to avoid recovery issues. But I have some recovery experience, yes.

Well I never eat more than I can chew, I wouldn't do that at all. But I understand, especially after watching that target topic on computer repair men, with their poor job and poor skills - and I can understand how you, and others might feel about that, as do I. However in my neighborhood we have a lot of counterfeit software and operating systems that people are not aware of, so not only did I see this as an opportunity for a bit of pocket money, I learn and help people as well. At someone else's expensive? Only if they lose something yes, which they never will.

Well awesome, that's good news.

I personally would not take on the job of recovery just yet, because I don't feel confident in that area.

plod
14-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Must agree, PCT could have put it in a more diplomatic way, after all this is a help forum and not a your knob because you did it wrong forum. PCt needs to remember that she partcipates in this forum to give help and on the odd occasion to ask for.

SolMiester
14-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Right, well if that corruption had taken place, then it wouldn't have mattered, because I do full back ups anyway.

I don't have any relationships with anyone here. How and why would I know that? I have more things to worry about, than someone else's personal life believe it or not. But congratz anyway.

I'll give you some more free advice...backups mean diddly swat to DRM if you have to trash and rebuild the o/s through corrupted system files, neither do profiles, hence WT's cloning of drives.....
You state you dont know about installing windows?, I gather that also means you dont understand Hardware API and hence the attempt at booting from a HDD from another system.
I understand your keen to learn mate, but playing with others peoples data while you plug and play isnt kosher.....Hardware\Software fault diagnostics isnt a fall back career for budding gamers or neighbourhood odd jobs as top up for pocket money, thats why most technicians\shops have liability insurance with their credentials.

I guess you have got the message by now!

Chris09
14-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I'll be learning the hardway I guess then eh? Going strong now.

Thank you for your advice though.

Agent_24
14-12-2009, 08:04 PM
I personally have learned a lot of things by either breaking or otherwise having faults with my own PCs.

Probably the most fun I ever had was the time my registry was corrupted due to a hard drive fault, and the only other machine I had at the time was a 33mhz 386 with a 14k dialup modem

Imagine the fun I had searching Microsoft online help with IE3 to work out how to recover the registry from System Restore backups through Recovery Console! (in 640x480 and 256 colours I might add)

Erayd
15-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't take on anyone, nor like to. However I do not allow people to trample on me, whether more experienced or no. There are better ways to explain something than being rude.While she may be a tad prickly at times, Pctek is also an extremely skilled technician. So is Wainuitech. So are many others on here. There is a vast difference between throwing some major (and hopefully useful) warnings your way, and 'trampling on' you.

The simple fact is that you shouldn't be working on other people's PCs, as you don't have the necessary knowledge - and even worse, you don't seem to be able to tell when you're out of your depth.

Well I never eat more than I can chew, I wouldn't do that at all.I don't believe that for a second - judging by your previous posts in this thread, you've been sword-swallowing and simply haven't noticed (or are trying to lie your way out of a hole).

But I understand, especially after watching that target topic on computer repair men, with their poor job and poor skills - and I can understand how you, and others might feel about that, as do I.You still don't seem to get it, so here it is in plain English:

You do not currently possess anywhere near the level of knowledge required to repair other people's PCs. Nor should you be charging them for your little game of computer roulette.

By all means learn - that's a good thing, and almost everyone on these forums will encourage and assist you in doing so - but risking others' systems and data on your education is extremely unethical, especially when they don't know what they're signing up for when they hire you. Use your own system as a sandbox, not somebody else's.

At someone else's expense? Only if they lose something yes, which they never will.Which they will sooner or later unless you learn to recognize your limits.

SolMiester
15-12-2009, 05:31 PM
LOL, swallowing swords......PMSL

Chris09
15-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Indeed Erayd, you're absolutely right. Thanks.

pctek
15-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Here's todays excitement. Lady rang with 7 yr old ECS MB PC. It had lost a few things earlier - like all the PS2 ports but we'd done the USB kb, mouse thing until now.
Anyway it no longer booted at all.

She brings it over and I do the usual checks, RAM etc, hook up the workshop Corsair PSU just in case she's lucky and the board hadn't died and its just a PSU thing.

BOOM, her HDD blows it's voltage regulator. Smoke pours out. Lovely.

I remove the now deceased drive, nervously test my PSU and try again. No boot.

Lucky she hadn't anything she cared about on the drive - the drive itself is still under warranty and she wants a shiny new LCD now too so is buying a new Win7 PC.
Without an ECS board in it.

But see, **** happens. Usually when they are watching you too.

wainuitech
15-12-2009, 08:44 PM
There was the problem Pctek -- Old joke -- the smoke was let out -- we all know PC's run on smoke - let it out and you're stuffed :lol:

Chris09
15-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Gutted. Isn't that a bit hard to explain eh?

Well anyway, I went and set my friends' PC up. They're so happy with it. All working, much faster, all updated. Sweet as sugar.

Got a call as soon as I left, a random person's internet wasn't working, went there, router had stopped working. Tested the network, tried with a spare one of mine, still didn't work. Rang ISP, connection lost for days. Tried a new Ethernet cable, worked all good. Turns out the old Router and Cable had died. I tested again to make sure, both in reverse with the old cable/new cable/old router/my spare router. Configured again like they had it. Did a few extra jobs, all happy, all working, no worries and a bit of extra money. Nothing I couldn't handle.

I apologize for my outbursts, and I do understand why you people react the way you do. However with the amount of work I've done, for at least 20+ people and rising I've had nothing but 5 stars, with out any problems.

Time is ticking to my destruction (or more someone else's PC?) and someone else's expensive? Seemingly I doubt that very much. I again repeat, I never eat more than I can chew. :)

wainuitech
15-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Time is ticking to my destruction (or more someone else's PC?) and someone else's expensive? Seemingly I doubt that very much. I again repeat, I never eat more than I can chew. You have got a lot to learn - Take Pcteks post - the HDD blew up - I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose.

Some advise ---

Theres one thing in this game that is guaranteed -- One day when you least expect it something that shouldn't happen does - you can be as careful as you like and theres nothing you can do to stop a failure.

IF anyone thinks they are so damn good that they will never be caught out, think again - I just hope for your sake WHEN (not if but when) it all turns to custard the people aren't to pissed.

I'm not being sarcastic - just advising - Sh1t can and does happen no matter who you are. Its being able to get out of it that's important.

You can be sure if you have someones PC/Laptop and WHEN a failure happens, It will be YOUR fault as far as they are concerned - to bad if it is or isn't - you'll be the one that gets blamed.

I never eat more than I can chew. No one usually does - BUT "things happen" when you least expect it - take the example I gave, my own Office PC - I was running Ccleaner - I do it every night, sometimes 2-3 times a day - NEVER any problems - yesterday something went wrong and it screwed my whole Office PC, unstable as hell even after trying to fix it.

IF I didn't do daily full backups, System/Programs/Data I would have lost 4 years worth of work. After doping a restore (2 hours roughly) all I lost was a couple of entries I put in customers orders, which I had printed out anyway.

One bit of advise -- DONT be cocky ;) - it will bite you in the arse one day - 100% guaranteed.

Chris09
15-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Don't be cocky, got it. Well, I would like to point out though Wainuitech

A ) You are giving strong advice in a clear, advisable manner which I respect and will listen too. That is why I joined this forum after all.

B ) I asked for assistance and advice, if I was too proud to ask for assistance I would not have done so. But, lesson learned, and I got me a handy Ethernet card anyway and the peeps were happy. I was just surprised to see a PC without one, never had seen that before.

Agent_24
15-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Here's todays excitement. Lady rang with 7 yr old ECS MB PC. It had lost a few things earlier - like all the PS2 ports but we'd done the USB kb, mouse thing until now.
Anyway it no longer booted at all.

She brings it over and I do the usual checks, RAM etc, hook up the workshop Corsair PSU just in case she's lucky and the board hadn't died and its just a PSU thing.

BOOM, her HDD blows it's voltage regulator. Smoke pours out. Lovely.

Anything with an ECS board most likely also had a horrible PSU in it. No doubt the PSU capacitors had gone, and the motherboards ones too I expect (which would explain the loss of ports working etc)

High ripple\noise or otherwise out of spec output from the PSU probably stressed the HDD to almost breaking point. Most likely when you turned it on at that time it would have blown no matter what PSU you used.

gary67
16-12-2009, 06:44 AM
After doping a restore (2 hours roughly) all I lost was a couple of entries I put in customers orders, which I had printed out anyway.

There's your problem Wainui, drugging your backups should have just given it alcohol :lol::lol:

pctek
16-12-2009, 07:57 AM
No doubt the PSU capacitors had gone, and the motherboards ones too I expect (which would explain the loss of ports working etc)

High ripple\noise or otherwise out of spec output from the PSU probably stressed the HDD to almost breaking point.

Haha. Yes, well. Try explaining that to the customer standing right next to you.
Anyway I don't know why really, maybe the drive just decided to crap itself as well. At that moment.

Lucky she wasn't too bothered due the age of the PC.

It was a Packard Bell originally. I hate them, seen too many fails on those.

pctek
16-12-2009, 09:33 AM
with the amount of work I've done, for at least 20+ people and rising I've had nothing but 5 stars, with out any problems.
I again repeat, I never eat more than I can chew. :)

Ooh, 20. Try 2000+.

You do eat more than you can chew otherwise you wouldn't have been here asking in the first place.

Arrogance leads to tears. Most likely your "customers".

wainuitech
16-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Don't be cocky, got it. Well, I would like to point out though Wainuitech

A ) You are giving strong advice in a clear, advisable manner which I respect and will listen too. That is why I joined this forum after all.

B ) I asked for assistance and advice, if I was too proud to ask for assistance I would not have done so. But, lesson learned, and I got me a handy Ethernet card anyway and the peeps were happy. I was just surprised to see a PC without one, never had seen that before. :thumbs::D
Yep - most PC's have Ethernet ports, - Must have been an old PC not to have had one - Its kind of funny - you try and describe to someone where to plug in the Ethernet cable on the phone -- then you get there and oops -- no port (bugger).:p

(highlighted above) VERY good - thats what I always say as well -- if in doubt ASK - better to ask and find out than blunder on and get frustrated or make things worse.

There's your problem Wainui, drugging your backups should have just given it alcohol :lol: Tell you what - I needed the booze after that lot -- Murphys law - phone doesn't ring all damn day, then when the PC is out of action I needed to get into my customer data base 3 times. Wasn't worth loading it into another PC from backups.

Agent_24
16-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Haha. Yes, well. Try explaining that to the customer standing right next to you.

Luckily I have never had to.... yet

I was looking at a friend's PC though, we suspected the motherboard of being faulty, when the PSU suddenly went bang. I found out later the 5v standby transistor had blown. Never figured out what caused that - and it was an Enermax too, not some cheap Hyena.

Then again nothing is immune to failure