PDA

View Full Version : Project Black Thunder(formerly mini)

PCT Joe
13-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Ok so heres a update on Project Black Thunder

Purchased(and installed) Parts:
Case: Coolermaster cm-690
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black edition
Motherboard: ASUS M4A77TD Pro ATX
HDD: Seagate Barracude 1tb 7200.12
Asus DVD-RAM DRW-21B1ST

So I got my cpu fine and all and then....
I bent some pins :( I almost had a freakin heart attack...
I thought oh no, Ive screwed it but a phone call to playtech later
and I felt somewhat okay again. The guy on there end said to get
a box cutter and flip it on its opposite end and to carefully realign
the pins. all said and done the actually install from that point went off without a hitch.

Anyways, so now im at the point were once I have some DDR3 ram i can transfer over some components from my original computer(the one im typing off) such as Power Supply HDD's and Graphics Card.

So now yet again I ask you what part I should purchase;
My motherboard states I can only use a max of DDR3-1333 without
it being overclocked. So I picked two lots from playtech for you guys to give opinions on...

The first lot, 4GB of DDR3 from G.Skill. (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=8466)

The second lot, 4GB of DDR3 again from G.Skill. (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=7988)

If you guys can give me the pro's and con's on these different packages it would be appreciated,

Thanks.
Joe-

P.S I had to apply moderate pressure on the CPU to get it into the sockets, it made two clicks and im now wondering if i had'nt bent the pins back into place and this is what cause it, Did i break it again? I dont want to remove the heatsink again cause then its gets complicated and at the minimum will cost me and extra $45 in thermal paste remover cleaner and... themeral paste.

wratterus
14-12-2009, 09:29 AM
I would go for the ripjaw - cheaper and lower latency. Who cares about the 'eco voltage' thing. :lol:

I dropped my old 6000+ a year or so ago, absolutely mangled the pins. I seriously spent the better part of a day straightening out the pins with a craft knife - popped it back in and she went sweet.

If the CPU went it evenly and there was no gap between the edge of the CPU and the socket you should be fine. It's likely to make a bit of a click when it goes it (mine did anyway). If you pop down to any PC shop they will whack a dollop of thermal paste on the CPU for you, may not even cost anything if they are feeling generous. You don't need to worry about HS cleaner.

nedkelly
14-12-2009, 09:50 AM
sorry to jump in but what would be the best thing to get rid of old thermal paste?

PCT Joe
14-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Ned kelly you confuse me, and as for watterus, thanks for the reassurance, maybe i did get it correctly :/

Christmas is coming oh the joys! I didn't actually bother doing anything until yesterday.. now i have to come up with $500 on top of food and rent in two weeks....

I really must not set myself up for this kind of stuff :/

Hope everyone has a merry xmas and a happy new year, cause after the 23rd i might not be back for a while...

SolMiester
14-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Isopropyl Alcohol

SolMiester
14-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Joe-

P.S I had to apply moderate pressure on the CPU to get it into the sockets, it made two clicks and im now wondering if i had'nt bent the pins back into place and this is what cause it, Did i break it again? I dont want to remove the heatsink again cause then its gets complicated and at the minimum will cost me and extra $45 in thermal paste remover cleaner and... themeral paste.

Maybe you should change your profile description?

12steps
14-12-2009, 02:40 PM
yeah $5 for some "Iso" from the chemist, last you for ages...

hueybot3000
14-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Christmas

Alcohol

:thumbs:

PCT Joe
14-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I said im a PC technician, i didnt say i was good ;P lol. its not that I don't know how to do it half the time, I usually just want reassurance from experienced technicians.

AND....

occasionally I will screw something up so I need help fixing it...

OR....

I have a selection of parts to choose from however despite my investigations I can find a reason to pick either/or so I ask what your opinion and experiences are

Erayd
14-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I said im a PC technician, i didnt say i was good ;P lol. its not that I don't know how to do it half the time, I usually just want reassurance from experienced technicians.
In all honesty, a 'PC tech' who doesn't understand thermal paste, can't install a CPU without bending pins (and can't un-bend pins without calling the retailer for support), and isn't capable of doing their own shopping without a lot of hand-holding, is someone I would generally warn people to steer well clear of.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more experience, but trust me on this, and with no offense intended - what you have so far doesn't even come close to qualifying you as a tech.

PCT Joe
14-12-2009, 08:06 PM
In all honesty, a 'PC tech' who doesn't understand thermal paste, can't install a CPU without bending pins (and can't un-bend pins without calling the retailer for support), and isn't capable of doing their own shopping without a lot of hand-holding, is someone I would generally warn people to steer well clear of.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more experience, but trust me on this, and with no offense intended - what you have so far doesn't even come close to qualifying you as a tech.

Hah, it wasnt an installation fault, it was a handling fault, I'm not sure if thats better or not. And i only called the retailer to see if there were other options available(there were. but time consuming)

I could do everything on my own, But I'd rather sacrifice some self-pride and get some help rather than keep it and screw it up or produce an inferior machine.