PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection suddenly dies (YouTube)

Billy
13-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I used to be able to watch YouTube videos without any problem.

All of a sudden, after about 1 minute or so of watching a YouTube video, I lose my Internet connection. Happens every time!

I can download other stuff and surf the Internet OK --- just seems to be YouTube that dies on me. I have to restart the computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

TRIED:
Running CCleaner
Deleting cache and cookies
Disabling some of my plug-ins (I wondered if it was one of the Firefox plug-ins but doesn't seem to be.)

SYSTEM:
XP SP3
Firefox 3.5.5
Broadband

Blam
14-12-2009, 02:13 PM
How do you lose your internet connection?

Does the wireless adapter disappear? Or does the PC lose an IP and disconnect to the modem/router?

Blam

Chilling_Silence
14-12-2009, 02:18 PM
What's your router make / model?

Billy
14-12-2009, 07:14 PM
What's your router make / model?

According to the Invoice the wireless modem is a "Thompson ADSL 2+ Filter DSL334"

Billy
14-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Does the wireless adapter disappear? Or does the PC lose an IP and disconnect to the modem/router?

Blam

I'm not sure how to determine this. Any pointers?

Incidentally I tried restoring Windows from a previous DriveClone Image. That improved matters --- the YouTube video ran for 11 minutes before it died.

Billy
14-12-2009, 08:17 PM

Blam

I tried Repair. Got this message eventually
"Windows could not repair the problem because the following action can not be completed: Renewing your IP address"

I also noticed the wireless network connection stated: Limited or no connectivity.

Hope thsi answers your question. If not please let me know the steps I need to take to answer it. Thanks.

wainuitech
14-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Out of interest - I did look but didn't see ( unless I'm going blind) :waughh: Are you connecting Via wireless or Ethernet cable.

Wireless routers generally have Ethernet ports as well.

IF it is wireless, have you tried connecting Via a Ethernet cable instead.

Chilling_Silence
14-12-2009, 09:53 PM
OK now the spammer is removed, I'm going to hazard a guess and suggest it may be router-related. They're not the best routers to start with... Try standing those ones on their side (I'll take a photo and upload it in the AM) as that can help a *little* bit.

Next time it happens, restart the router, wait 60 seconds then run repair, does it come right?

WarNox
15-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Is this happening on just one computer or all of the computers in your house (internal network)? If its all the computers you can eliminate the cache/virus issues and focus on the Router/ISP issues.

Orcon just replaced my RTA1320 for free because it started disconnecting, at least 30 reconnects per day for about a week till I went crazy :) If you're with Orcon you can view your disconnections under:
-MyServices > LLU > Usage

Billy
15-12-2009, 09:11 PM
OK now the spammer is removed, I'm going to hazard a guess and suggest it may be router-related. They're not the best routers to start with... Try standing those ones on their side (I'll take a photo and upload it in the AM) as that can help a *little* bit.

Next time it happens, restart the router, wait 60 seconds then run repair, does it come right?

1. Stood router/modem on its side.

2. Also, I tried turning router/modem off when it next happened. It didn't cure the problem. When I next turned on the router, I couldn't access the WWW. (Only a computer restart seems to restore connectivity.)

3. I also tried disabling Network adapter's power management --- didn't help.

It's most frustrating! :confused:

Blam
15-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Could you please answer the questions in WarNox's post?

It could save a lot of time...

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2009, 06:46 AM
So what seems to be happening is you're losing your IP Address.

When it next happens, try this:
Click Start --> Run --> cmd (Click OK)
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Then see if it comes back. That's *part* of what a repair does.

If that doesnt work, reboot the router, give it 30 seconds, then do what I just said again a 2nd time.

...It's just you said you restarted the router, but you didn't say that you did a Network Repair.

Billy
16-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Is this happening on just one computer or all of the computers in your house (internal network)? If its all the computers you can eliminate the cache/virus issues and focus on the Router/ISP issues.

Orcon just replaced my RTA1320 for free because it started disconnecting, at least 30 reconnects per day for about a week till I went crazy :) If you're with Orcon you can view your disconnections under:
-MyServices > LLU > Usage

I only have one computer.

Billy
16-12-2009, 10:36 AM
So what seems to be happening is you're losing your IP Address.

When it next happens, try this:
Click Start --> Run --> cmd (Click OK)
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Then see if it comes back. That's *part* of what a repair does.

If that doesnt work, reboot the router, give it 30 seconds, then do what I just said again a 2nd time.

...It's just you said you restarted the router, but you didn't say that you did a Network Repair.

Thanks. Tried that. No joy. Still can't reconnect without a windows restart. Will attach an image of cmd window in the hope that it contains a clue as to the problem.

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2009, 11:22 AM
OK cool so you're actually getting an IP address.

When it *next* dies, do the ipconfig /release, then the ipconfig /renew, then run:
ping 192.168.1.2
ping 208.67.222.222
ping trademe.co.nz

Post back the results of those last 3 ping commands and we'll be on the right path :)

Cheers

Chill.

Billy
16-12-2009, 01:24 PM
OK cool so you're actually getting an IP address.

When it *next* dies, do the ipconfig /release, then the ipconfig /renew, then run:
ping 192.168.1.2
ping 208.67.222.222
ping trademe.co.nz

Post back the results of those last 3 ping commands and we'll be on the right path :)

Cheers
Chill.

Hi Chill
ping 192.168.1.2 timed out
However, I notice from ipconfig that this time the IP address was 192.168.1.64 so I pinged that & I got a reply (see attached image). 1mS.

ping 208.67.222.222 timed out
ping trademe.co.nz timed out

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Install 3.5.6 beta (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html). It fixes a lot of bugs that 3.5.5 has/had (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=ALL%20status1.9.1%3A.6-fixed). Even tho its a beta, it seems to be a bit faster than 3.5.5. was

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2009, 01:56 PM
OK sorry try pinging 192.168.1.254 and see if that work...

It looks like even though you're connected to the Wireless that your internet is down?

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Install 3.5.6 beta (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html). It fixes a lot of bugs that 3.5.5 has/had (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=ALL%20status1.9.1%3A.6-fixed). Even tho its a beta, it seems to be a bit faster than 3.5.5. was

hmm it maybe final. I've just installed it on the other PC here. It didnt say it was a beta ( a webpage didnt come up like it did with this). They may have changed the site

Billy
16-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Chill

Forgot to mention ping results for 192.168.1.154
2mS TTL=64 (see attached image).

hmm it maybe final. I've just installed it on the other PC here. It didnt say it was a beta ( a webpage didnt come up like it did with this). They may have changed the site

Thanks. Installed 3.5.6 but problem persists.
Billy

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Try updating flash (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/) it was updated a few days ago, which fixed vulnerabilities (http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb09-19.html). Uninstall the version thats installed first. Do you get cut off on any site, or just youtube or sites with video?

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Excellent, just as I suspected, it's your router, looks to be dropping your connection under load, even though you're connected to the router wirelessly.

As-per my previous post, they're unfortunately super-cheap routers:
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Buying a new, decent router will likely solve the issues :)

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Try updating flash (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/) it was updated a few days ago, which fixed vulnerabilities (http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb09-19.html). Uninstall the version thats installed first

It's not a software issue. Look at the ping results. He can ping his router 192.168.1.254 which indicates he's connected to it just fine. He can't however ping either the domain trademe.co.nz or an IP Address (Which rules out dns failure), so his internet connection is dropping under load. A condition that more commonly occurs during the warmer months, as routers warm up under load ;)

No amount of software updates or patches will fix that problem :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Could be a stuffed cable

Blam
16-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Could be a stuffed cable

Its possible, but highly unlikely, as he can ping his router fine, but its only his internet connection that is failing...

Billy: If you ring your ISP and say that your modem is failing, they should provide a replacement free of charge.

Alternatively, you can get something like the AM300, which is rock solid and is probably the best modem I have ever owned.

Blam

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Filter or line prob is possible then. Remove the filter, see what happens

Billy
17-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Router/modem was a freebie from Telecom.

I will ring them tomorrow re a replacement. I don't look forward to arguing with Manila! They'll no doubt want to read religiously from their script.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it. This is a great forum!
:thanks

Billy
09-01-2010, 08:04 PM
An update, for the benefit of others experiencing random Internet disconnections.

1) I borrowed another laptop with wireless capabilities and connected through my Thompson modem. After about 5-10 minutes viewing YouTube the Internet connection stopped and I had to reboot.

2) Xtra replaced my modem but the same problem occurred. The Internet disconnected after 5 - 10 minutes.

3) I took my laptop to a friendís house, also with Xtra, and corrected through their modem. I downloaded several YouTube videos over the space of two hours and my laptop worked perfectly.

This time Xtra admitted others had experienced similar problems and they were investigating their systems.

Chris09
09-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Delete this, didn't see some posts regarding updating flash and java.