PDA

View Full Version : Windows Home Server Connector

aidanmaz
12-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I downloaded the trial of WHS and was using it for a week, but didnt like it, so i scrapped the machine and made use of the system elsewhere, the only issue is that my vista laptop ant remove the connector software, it goes through the motion of uninstalling but at the last part it says setup failed due to and error. i have downloaded the connector cd, and tried uninstalling it etc. Is there a way to get rid of the connector with having WHS present?

wainuitech
12-12-2009, 11:09 AM
What was the actual error ?

Where you put you downloaded the connector software - you generally have to have that to connect the PC's / laptops to WHS in the first place - if you got it from the WHS (connector software) and used that originally , the downloaded one may be a different newer or older version - thats why it possibly wont uninstall.

Normally to remove the connector software you simply go into programs and features - locate the software - uninstall. You usually just get a warning that the WHS connector wont work if you remove it.

aidanmaz
12-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Odd, on the thousandth retry it worked

cheers

CYaBro
12-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Why didn't you like whs? I think it's great. Been using it for a while now.

wainuitech
12-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Why didn't you like whs? I think it's great. Been using it for a while now. Ditto -- only problem is I have to much stuff scattered over the drives - must re organize / tidy it one day.

YEAH RIGHT !! :lol:

aidanmaz
12-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I didnt like whs because i dont want to be nagged about backing up my pcs. And i already have Win2003 STD R2 license, and i would have to buy whs, i didnt see what the fuss was.

wainuitech
12-12-2009, 06:03 PM
WHS doesn't nag about backing up unless they are not done -- out of the 4 PC's I have here that do daily backups between 8 -9 PM you dont even know they have done them.

I have 3 others that log into the server each time they start--Never backed up - simply turn off the backup feature in WHS for that those PC's.

Sounds to me like its more a case of not knowing the OS/Software - not a fault with WHS.

WHS also has a better restore process - idiot proof ( almost) to use.

Server 2003 which is what WHS is built from ( stripped down version) has added features that Server 2003 doesn't have, More for home users, streaming music, easy to setup remote access to files,daily backups (hence Windows HOME server ) :rolleyes: Server 2003 is designed for businesses, and requires a LOT more knowledge to setup and run + licenses for each user - WHS has 10 by default. Server 2003 costs more as well.

Sam I Am
13-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I have to admit I thought WHS was a bit of a PITA until I screwed up transferring my workstation from a crusty old laptop to a desktop. Burned a restore disk, booted and away it went. Bloody marvellous and pain free system restore.

I'm currently quoting one of the Acer Units for a small 3 machine client so that I can move all the file shares off a users machine.