PDA

View Full Version : Laptop shuts down.

martynz
11-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I've been trying to recover emails using DBXpress, my laptop shuts down before process is complete.
I've checked the power settings, they're OK.
Ran SpybotS&D same thing happened, ran it again everything OK.
Ran scan with Avast! - shutdown.
Whats up?
What should I do now?

gary67
11-12-2009, 09:07 PM
run in safe mode

martynz
11-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm looking for a better answer than that.
Why am I getting these shutdowns?

Martynz

Sweep
11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Check the temperatures.

Do a memory test.

Does it give a blue screen?

Sweep
11-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Also what operating system is being used?

Have you disabled autostart?

wainuitech
11-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Since the shutdown problem looks to have started way before the recovery of emails Your original thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?p=846168#post846168) - then I would suggest that you forget about the recovery at the moment and find out whats causing that shutdown problem.

Garys suggestion of running in safe mode is the first step I would do as well - this could tell you if its a software or hardware problem. IF the laptop runs OK in safe mode, while doing another set of scans then its more than likely software related - could be corrupted drivers.

If it plays up in safe mode, then do what Sweep suggested, memory tests, and check the temp. Generally if its overheating a Laptop or PC wont start right away again, you have to wait several minutes for it to cool down.

You have to narrow it down to either software or hardware other wise you will be running around in circles going nowhere