PDA

View Full Version : eeepc and IE problem

sarel
11-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm sitting with the eeepc again - and this time IE does not want to open. I connect to the Net, it starts to open and then give me the error message that IE has encountered a problem. XP, and I think it's IE7. Any suggestions?

It is virusfree, I checked it with the portable Winclam (?).

sarel

wratterus
11-12-2009, 03:51 PM
In the run box type this and see if it opens - if it does the it's an addon that's causing the issue.

iexplore.exe -extoff

Very important to type that exactly as it says above, with a space after the .exe

If that doesn't work go into the control panel, classic view, internet options, advanced, and click the reset button, that will take IE back to factory settings, try and open it again.

If that still doesn't work..

I would uninstall IE7 then run win update.

Type this in the run box:

%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

and an uninstall box should come up. If it turns out to be IE8 that's installed then the uninstall command should look like this:

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

sarel
11-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Beauty Wratt - that was it - add-ons!!. Thanks a million. How do I find out which one caused the problem?

sarel

wratterus
11-12-2009, 03:58 PM
When IE opens with no addons, up the top there should be a yellow bar, like the ActiveX install bar. Click on that and click manage addons. You can see them all in there, disable em all, then fire up IE normally and start enabling them until IE fails, then you will know which one is causing the issues.

Posting a hijackthis log wouldn't be a bad idea.

sarel
11-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Only 2 add-ons, WMP and MS Messenger, and it turns out its Windows Media Player.

sarel

wratterus
11-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Good to hear Sarel, glad it was a quick fix.

I would update IE to version 8.0, bit more secure and a few new features.

sarel
11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
No frickin space Wratt - it's a yearold eeePC and there's really no space and she said "don't delete anything please". I will advise her that we need to do certain things.

Thanks again. I thought I had a corrupt registry.

sarel

wratterus
11-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Cool, and fair enough. No worries! :cool:

pcuser42
11-12-2009, 08:43 PM
No frickin space Wratt - it's a yearold eeePC and there's really no space and she said "don't delete anything please". I will advise her that we need to do certain things.

Thanks again. I thought I had a corrupt registry.

sarel

There's always update uninstall files/temp files to remove. ;)