PDA

View Full Version : pop/IMAP

effie c
11-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi,
I now have Gmail and in setting it up I was asked if I wanted IMAP to replace POP- as I have had about 18 e mails disappear- mainly chess moves - the comment why I should change said "stop losing E mail if you use IMAP in lieu
Question :
Can I change my default e mail to IMAP ? and stop this
effie c

rumpty
11-12-2009, 12:04 PM
I believe IMAP leaves a copy of your emails on the server when you download them, so it should be safer. You will then have to delete them off the server manually.

effie c
11-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi Rumpty,

I had to set manually "delete e mails after downloading" in some servers --windows live mail and F F
could not this be done for above
The e mails that went missing never even got to my server so we had to start all games over
To need to keep the mail on the server is a pain 'cos you never know what is new-- it sounds like my request is a non starter
effie c

Sweep
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Why not use Gmail for your moves and get Gmail forwarded to your POP account. The gmail can stay on the Gmail server.

That's what I do here using Xtra.

effie c
11-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Sweep,

Not a bad idea,thanks.
It took many trial and (t)error attempts to get G mail set right- it would be just my luck to stuff all that up :yuck:
American english v English english certainly show up the difference in the two
I will work on that though- ironically the games that disappeared were the first for months.
effie c

linw
12-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Did you check the spam folder for the missing emails? In my experience, the google filter is truly excellent but it is still worth checking to see whether this is the cause of your problems. IMAP won't help you.

gary67
12-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I use POP still can't be bothered changing, I download my emails to Outlook and leave them on the Gmail server for net access as well

effie c
12-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Gary67 & linw,
Well it looks like I am being too fussy as to how much I leave on the pooter
I will try and follow your suggestions
At the moment I am trying to change the G mail set address from IMAP to pop---as a window comes up -"cannot select "all mail" on the IMAP server"-so to try and correct that - I am running round in circles- any ideas?
effie c

gary67
12-12-2009, 04:33 PM
No Idea as I set mine up to POP originally and have not touched it since

effie c
12-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi Gary,
Got it--I had to go into Gmail archives and delete from there
Pooter going well----at last
Thanks all
effie c