PDA

View Full Version : Avast scan

timmy5953
10-12-2009, 06:58 PM
On my new Windows 7 laptop i am using Avast as my anti virus protecter. All is going well but when i scan my HDD the result i get is Number of infected files "nil" but the `Results of last scan' report says "C\Users\...\Outlook2.pst\PersonalFolders\Top of PersonalFolders\...\GoodFriend.pps Unable to scan. Anunexpected error occurred"
Under the Action button the options are -Delete,Move,Chest, Scan( The option Repair is grayed out).
When i try Chest - the recommended option - or Move, or even Delete the response is "An error has occurred during the processsing"

I have dug down thru the directories but cant get thru Outlook2. My reading of this is that i have a Powerpoint file called "GoodFriends" that for some reason is of interest to my scanner, but i cannnot get rid of it. Any help apppreciated.

FoxyMX
10-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Is the file attachment visible in Outlook? If so, just delete the email it is attached to.

timmy5953
11-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Its somewhere in my archived Outlook folders, probably several years old. I've tried digging down but without success. maybe i should let sleeping dogs lie.

FoxyMX
11-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Just ignore it. If it is infected it is not going to do any damage unless opened. Avast will kick it in the pants then anyway.

I've got emails infected with the Kak worm sitting in my archives. Avast knows about them and has jumped on them when I've opened them in the past but I've told it to leave them alone when scanning. I probably should delete them but the emails have sentimental value, being from a cousin about her husband who died a couple of years ago.

timmy5953
11-12-2009, 07:37 PM
yea on balance I think thats good advice.
many thanx Foxy.