PDA

View Full Version : NAS Speed, how good?

CCF
10-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey ya all

Was thinking of purchasing a NAS for the home network, was wondering if anyone know how fast they go via the network, as in, are they just like accessing/transferring a file in another computer, or does it feel slightly slower?

I came across a few forums that people had experienced relatively slow transfer speed with NAS, was wondering if any one else had come across this problem.

Currently my network devices are all 100mbps based, none is 1gbps.

So yeah, any suggestions or comments will highly appreciated :)

CliveM
10-12-2009, 05:33 PM
It all depends on what you decide to use. Slow NAS = slow transfer. I am using a Synology DS209+ and am quite happy with its performance.

decibel
10-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I have a pretty old HP Brio that originally had Win98SE on it and I downloaded and installed FreeNAS.

I get uploads and downloads of about 50 ~ 60 Mb/s back to my main PC.

CCF
10-12-2009, 09:45 PM
hmm, cos Im thinking of getting a Macpower Pleiades Gigabit LAN NAS. So far its the only nas that I've come across or could find that supports both NTFS read and write to its internal sata discs.

How would one know if a NAS is slow?

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Here's a good indication:
USB2.0 is 480mbps
Your LAN is likely 100mbps

Copy a semi-large file to a USB stick. Count how long that took. Now, imagine you're copying that same file to your NAS. Wanna know how long it took? Multiply the first figure by 5 and you'll get a rough idea.

I've got myself an Alix system from pcengines running FreeNAS, and it's hooked up to an external HDD that I've formatted in whatever the native BSD Filesystem is. It also supports NTFS, so you might want to look into it :)

inphinity
11-12-2009, 08:29 AM
It also depends a lot, as CliveM implied, on the specific product. Cheaper NAS boxes have lower speed CPUs and less memory etc, and thus have lower maximum throughput. Also, the OS used and the type of drive(s) installed have an impact as well. You can definitely get a NAS appliance that will feel slow and sluggish, but there are a number of factors.

McRuff
11-12-2009, 09:34 AM
If you want to know the speed of a NAS check out this site

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190

McRuff
11-12-2009, 10:37 AM
hmm, cos Im thinking of getting a Macpower Pleiades Gigabit LAN NAS. So far its the only nas that I've come across or could find that supports both NTFS read and write to its internal sata discs.

Does the internal sata disk format matter? After all the NAS controls the access to the Data on the Disk.

Also as to speed no NAS is going to be fast on a 100Mb Lan. If your computer has gigabit Ethernet you would probably need to factor the cost of upgrading to a gigabit switch as well if you want speed. Your other 100Mbs devices will work fine with a gigabit switch, just no speed improvement.