PDA

View Full Version : Te Irirangi drive in Botany

lance4k
10-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Has anyone seen some signs on Te Irirangi drive in Botany that say "All vehicles under 3500kg are prohibited... from Friday 10pm to Monday 5am with exceptions for emergency vehicles or bona fide vehicles" ? I can't seem to find these signs on Google street view.

And what does 'bona fide vehicles' mean?

Renmoo
10-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Ah, that sign. I've seen that personally a few times.

[Edit]: Let's see what others have got to say first.

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
How long have the signs been there?? Whats on Google st view isnt recent

R2x1
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
"Bona Fide vehicles" are any weight or class vehicle owned or driven by a National Party member.

Miami Steve
10-12-2009, 04:09 PM
They have been there for years.

AFAIK, they are there to give the police a valid reason to stop street racers, as only residents (bona-fide vehicles) are allowed along the road during those hours. The first time I saw it I assumed that it was printed wrong and was actually banning heavy vehicles (for noise reasons) but later someone mentioned that T. I. Road had been the main gathering point for street racing.

I doubt anyone pays much attention to the signs - I know I don't (and most people likely have no idea what they are about).

Basically, if you don't have a good (legitimate) reason for being on the road, you ain't allowed.

paulw
10-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Basically, if you don't have a good (legitimate) reason for being on the road, you ain't allowed.

What happened to freedom of transit?? I should be able to drive down any legal road any time I like..

GameJunkie
10-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Has anyone seen some signs on Te Irirangi drive in Botany that say "All vehicles under 3500kg are prohibited... from Friday 10pm to Monday 5am with exceptions for emergency vehicles or bona fide vehicles" ? I can't seem to find these signs on Google street view.

And what does 'bona fide vehicles' mean?

wouldnt that be 'over 3500kg' ??

that would make more sense

Bryan
10-12-2009, 06:53 PM
It definitely UNDER 3500kg and it is suposed to stop boyracers. Anyone with legitimate reasons can use the road. It is just a piece of legalise to make it easier for the Police to be able to stop any vehicle that is using the roads in a manner against the good of the residents.

GameJunkie
10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
so a boyracer in a tank is ok?? :D :lol:

prefect
10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
"Bona Fide vehicles" are any weight or class vehicle owned or driven by a National Party member.
I am in then

lance4k
11-12-2009, 11:14 AM
so it's only for residents? What if i have a friend that lived there, can i drive down Te Irirangi drive at 11pm friday?

seems a bit odd because the police have to be there to enforce the rules so a sign is not going to stop boy racers unless the police are there. so really the sign should be removed and the police should just be there undercover to stop boy racers.

They have been there for years.

AFAIK, they are there to give the police a valid reason to stop street racers, as only residents (bona-fide vehicles) are allowed along the road during those hours. The first time I saw it I assumed that it was printed wrong and was actually banning heavy vehicles (for noise reasons) but later someone mentioned that T. I. Road had been the main gathering point for street racing.

I doubt anyone pays much attention to the signs - I know I don't (and most people likely have no idea what they are about).

R2x1
11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I am in then
When they're in, we're all in (it) ;)

Miami Steve
15-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I think this story (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10615561) says all you need to know...... :rolleyes:

lance4k
15-12-2009, 01:26 PM
proof then that the signs do not stop boy racing. only way to stop it is to have police undercover there. all the signs do is stop legitimate 'cruisers' from enjoying driving around.

I think this story (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10615561) says all you need to know...... :rolleyes:

Miami Steve
15-12-2009, 01:47 PM
proof then that the signs do not stop boy racing. only way to stop it is to have police undercover there. all the signs do is stop legitimate 'cruisers' from enjoying driving around.

I don't think anybody believes that a couple of signs will ever stop idiots doing what they want to do. However, what it does do is give the police a "legal" reason to stop drivers they suspect of being on the road for "dubious" reason. They are not going to sit and wait all night for racers, nor are they going to pull over every law-abiding driver to ask them to justify their presence. Without the signs, the police would need to wait for an offence to be committed before stopping a vehice. With the signs, they can step in when it appears obvious that the reason for being there is questionable. :2cents: