PDA

View Full Version : Monitor internet disconnects

narutophantom
09-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi, I just switched from using a 20m cable to wireless via a PCI wireless card and have noticed lots of small disconnects around every 5-10 minutes, now this isn't so bad for browsing the web but it makes downloading torrents or playing DotA (Warcraft III) games impossible.

So I am looking for a program that would be able to log when I disconnect to see if it is worth going back to wired or not.

Thanks in advance.

Also thought this screenie of torrent speeds may be useful http://i46.tinypic.com/fd4w14.png

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Dont bother playing games (its not reliable) with wireless, you WILL have probs

narutophantom
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Ok, thanks. But my main concern is with the disconnects (just uploaded a screenie) is this sort of thing normal on wireless? My modem is the TG585v7 and my wireless card is the Atheros AR5005GS Wireless Network Adapter

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2009, 09:52 PM
It doesnt matter what kind of wireless card / router it is. Its not reliable with online games (if thats what youre doing) A firmware update (for the router), may help, I dont know. Is the wireless secure? (is it encrypted)?

narutophantom
09-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Yes it's encrypted and apart from gaming I also mentioned torrents and now that I think of it http downloads are affected as well.

So in short: I am looking for a program that would be able to log when I disconnect to see if it is worth going back to wired or not.

FoxyMX
10-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't bother. My wireless connection does not disconnect unless I am too far away from the access point which sounds like your problem. Either move closer or go back to the cable.

Agent_24
10-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Why do you want to log your disconnections? Any disconnections are too many if you are doing something that shouldn't be interrupted.

I have an Ethernet cable running from one end of my house to the other, because wireless would not be suitable.

Either you're too far away, something is interfering with the signal, your antenna is pointed in the wrong direction...