PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking Ipod Touch.

xyz823
09-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Is it really worth it? I have an Ipod Touch 8GB 3G so it will be tethered anyway. But I really want to know what can you do that you cant do on a non-jail broken ipod.

I know you can put themes and stuff on (doesn't really concern me) and install 3rd party apps, but what sort of apps are there?

(ANd please don't give me an answer like "What CANT you do on a jailbroken ipod")

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2009, 11:57 AM
You can add any app on a jailbroke one, you cant on one that hasnt been jailbroken. Altho, if youre going to jailbreak it, change the password on it (Dont ask me how, I dont have one). Altho, depending on WHAT version of the firmware is on it. Apple have now locked later versions of the Ipods, so jailbreaking wont work

xyz823
09-12-2009, 11:58 AM
You can add apps on a jailbroke one, you cant on one that hasnt been jailbroken. Altho, if youre going to jailbreak it, change the password on it (Dont ask me how, I dont have one).

Cant you get apps via the apps store anyway?

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Wouldnt have a clue. You may / should be able to get them if it isnt jailbroken. It may or may not work if you jailbreak an Ipod. I dont use the app store, and I have no need to jailbreak this Ipod

Battleneter2
09-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Cant you get apps via the apps store anyway?

Yes there are thousands of free and "pay" apps available for Ipod Touch and Iphone on a stock non jailbroken device.

I have a 2ng Gen 16gig jail broken device. Prob your best forum to school up fast is this one. Full guides on jailbreaking etc.
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/

Chilling_Silence
09-12-2009, 12:49 PM
You can do everything you can with a regular iTouch (Tethering?? That's iPhone only), except you can also use the likes of Cydia, and you can ssh into it.

If Cydia appeals to you then yes, otherwise I'd highly recommend you stay legit. My phone crashed SO much when I tried it, it's not even funny... Re-imaging it twice a week gets boring very quickly!

Erayd
09-12-2009, 03:49 PM
You can do everything you can with a regular iTouch (Tethering?? That's iPhone only), except you can also use the likes of Cydia, and you can ssh into it.

If Cydia appeals to you then yes, otherwise I'd highly recommend you stay legit. My phone crashed SO much when I tried it, it's not even funny... Re-imaging it twice a week gets boring very quickly!
That's rare though - most people who jailbreak don't have any issues with it.

My experience with a jailbroken iPod Touch is a ton more functionality I wouldn't want to be without, and rock-solid stable apart from when I tried to replace the entire bluetooth stack - needless to say I won't be trying that particular hack again!

davidmmac
09-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Theres a link here (http://www.iphonespies.com/iphone-hacks/why-jailbreak-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch/)that outlines the advantages and disadvantages of jail breaking an iPod Touch :).

Personally I haven't jailbroken my iPod touch, the only time I considered it was when I wanted to put a different media player on it to save having to convert files, but I decided to leave it.

Chilling_Silence
09-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Theres a link here (http://www.iphonespies.com/iphone-hacks/why-jailbreak-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch/)that outlines the advantages and disadvantages of jail breaking an iPod Touch :).

Yeah I must admit that was July -> Oct last year when the OS was "new" and yeah ... lets just say the quality of the apps was poor :p

xyz823
09-12-2009, 05:11 PM

Nah basically you have to re jailbreak every time you fully turn it off or it runs out of battery. You dont have to reinstall apps or anything.

davidmmac
09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah I must admit that was July -> Oct last year when the OS was "new" and yeah ... lets just say the quality of the apps was poor :p

Just realised there was a link on that page (in bold) saying "*UPDATED* 7 of the latest reasons to Jailbreak on 3.1 Firmware" :o

Link (http://www.iphonespies.com/iphone-hacks/iphone-jailbreak-app/top-7-iphone-jailbreak-apps-31/)

Erayd
09-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Nah basically you have to re jailbreak every time you fully turn it off or it runs out of battery. You dont have to reinstall apps or anything.The tethered jailbreak only applies to the 3rd gen iPod Touch, & iPhone 3GS devices that shipped in the last month or so. Everything else will survive reboots just fine.

Note also that the tethered jailbreak is simply a temporary measure pending the release of a full jailbreak that will survive a reboot.

xyz823
09-12-2009, 05:37 PM
The tethered jailbreak only applies to the 3rd gen iPod Touch, & iPhone 3GS devices that shipped in the last month or so. Everything else will survive reboots just fine.

Note also that the tethered jailbreak is simply a temporary measure pending the release of a full jailbreak that will survive a reboot.

Yea I have a 3G. So when is a new release expected?

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2009, 05:40 PM
When they figure out how to fix it so it works

Erayd
09-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Yea I have a 3G. So when is a new release expected?
Most likely when the next generation of iphone hardware is released, unless somebody leaks the exploit before then. My understanding is that they have something that works, but are holding off on releasing it until apple commits to shipping the bug in their new hardware - that way they don't have to find yet another hole.

Note that they've done this before, it's not a new approach. Keep an eye on http://blog.iphone-dev.org/, and note that comments are often answered, if you can be bothered sifting through the chaff.

robbyp
09-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Is it really worth it? I have an Ipod Touch 8GB 3G so it will be tethered anyway. But I really want to know what can you do that you cant do on a non-jail broken ipod.

I know you can put themes and stuff on (doesn't really concern me) and install 3rd party apps, but what sort of apps are there?

(ANd please don't give me an answer like "What CANT you do on a jailbroken ipod")

Isn't the 3g 8GB one exactly the same as the 2g one. I believe that the 32GB and 64GB are actually the 3g ones (eg have the faster processor and other minor features). The 8G one doesn't have those, so is exactly the same as the previous 8GB one.

PS it is not worth jailbreaking , as it becomes very unreliable afterwards, and you lose your warranty.

plod
09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Isn't the 3g 8GB one exactly the same as the 2g one. I believe that the 32GB and 64GB are actually the 3g ones (eg have the faster processor and other minor features). The 8G one doesn't have those, so is exactly the same as the previous 8GB one.

PS it is not worth jailbreaking , as it becomes very unreliable afterwards, and you lose your warranty.

Yes the 8gb 3g is the old 2g hardware but with the 3.0 software