PDA

View Full Version : Add blocker for IE8?

mzee
08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Is there an Add blocker for IE8?
Not a bad Browser, but needs add-ons.

wainuitech
08-12-2009, 07:08 PM
have not tried Ad block for IE (http://www.ghacks.net/2009/04/19/internet-explorer-8-ad-blocking-gets-easier-with-adblock-ie/) ( Yet) - but look like it may work, you have to install the plug in first ( link in article)

Sweep
08-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Don't use IE8 if you don't like it.

I do use it and can't be bothered blocking ads or scripts.

Other than that try firefox and whatever.

Alternative would be do not go to sites that have adverts.

xyz823
08-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I could really just drop an "F" bomb now.

batteryready
08-12-2009, 07:33 PM
IE is not good to use, Firefox is good.

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Found this the other day (http://www.quero.at/). Does a pretty good job. I used to use IE7Pro but it doesnt really work with IE8. You do have to configure it for some sites. Like the herald site site, some links disappear altogether

John H
09-12-2009, 09:29 AM
@ wainuitech I tried Adblock IE, but it isn't a patch on the FF version I am afraid. This site is unreadable with it without going through the ghastly scrolling process on each page because of the wide blank margin that is left on the left hand side. I will stick with FF! :thanks

wainuitech
09-12-2009, 10:46 AM
@ wainuitech I tried Adblock IE, but it isn't a patch on the FF version I am afraid. This site is unreadable with it without going through the ghastly scrolling process on each page because of the wide blank margin that is left on the left hand side. I will stick with FF! :thanks Okay - as I mentioned Had not tried it - good to know its not that good.

John H
09-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Quite funny looking at another thread - when I tried AdblockIE, I ended up with all those bullet points up the top and thought it was a problem with AdblockIE! Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought it was.

However, I have tried SG's suggestion (Quero) and it is quite good. It still leaves this forum all squashed over to the right, but apart from that, it is better in my opinion than ABIE.

However, I will not be going back to IE - the only way to deal with the twerps who own this site who are on an unending quest to squeeze every last advertising dollar out of it, is to use FF and the Stylish script so kindly supplied to us by our friend.

I will simply use IE for Windows Updates and the very occasional site that is in the dark ages and won't play nicely with FF.

Renmoo
09-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Wasn't there an ad-blocking proxy that IE8 can refer to?

Or for that matter, any browser?

Agent_24
10-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Privoxy?

Another option is one like Admuncher or anything that modifies the hosts file. Then you can block all ads for any browser\application.

IE7Pro should do fine when it's upgraded to support IE8 better

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
IE7Pro kind of works, (in IE8) but it doesnt block things like IE7Pro does (in IE7). Some people have had some luck getting IE7Pro to work properly (by playing around with the settings). But, theyre in no rush to get it to work with IE8. Some people on the IE7Pro forum have said you can edit the registry a bit to stay in inprivate filtering. But thats not a fix. Privoxy kind of works, but it can play up on some sites. Proxomitron worked to a point, but it can block programs from updating. If you dont configure it properly (or if you dont configure the program youre trying to update properly). Proximodo is similar to Proxomitron, but it crashed more than anything else

linw
10-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Privoxy works great on any browser that has proxy settings.