PDA

View Full Version : Record Player afficianados?

GorCh
07-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey there,

Just moved into a new flat with some new flat mates recently. One brought with him an old record player/ tape deck /radio combo. Initially the belt on the record player was completely had it, but got that repaired, and tested it out and the needle was all good.

Spent a day with it working fine, had fun going to various places and digging through their record boxes and buying stuff up cheap.

Then we obviously held out tongues wrong or something. Now whenever we go to play a record, we lower the needle onto the record with the wee lever, and it starts, but skips its way across the surface in about two seconds and then the ending mechanism is triggered and the arm returns to its holder.

So basically being a young 'un I have no idea how to start trouble shooting the problem. I suspect it is mechanical because sometimes when you move the arm out to start the deck spinning, it will also trigger the 'finishing' mechanism and spin down and return to the holder. So was wondering if anyone more experienced than us could give us some tips.

Cheers,

GorCh

Roscoe
07-12-2009, 10:26 PM
You may find that there is a weight adjustment at the rear of the arm. Not certain what it may look like but may be able to be adjusted. It seems that the arm may be too light and you may need to increase the weight.

The adjustment is possibly a wheel or perhaps a slide. There should be an indication of which is heavy and which is light. The weight of the arm needs to be heavy enough so it tracks easily across the record. Too heavy and it will increase wear on the stylus and record. Try and find a happy medium. Adjust the weight to just a bit more from where it stops sliding.

Try not to let the stylus skid over the record. Damages both.

Hope that helps with your 20th century technology.

Trev
07-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Failing what Roscoe has said try putting a light weight on the stylus something like a 10 cent piece or lighter. Hold it on with some cellotape.
:)

zqwerty
07-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Sounds like stylus point has gone to me.

kahawai chaser
08-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree with Roscoe, likely to be a weight problem, as I use to have that issue when recording vinyl to pc. Maybe search Docjax (http://www.docjax.com/home/index.shtml) for a pdf service/description manual.

R2x1
08-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Sounds like stylus point has gone to me.
Sounds likely to me too. Playing the rubber mat often does that. BTDT. :(

Agent_24
09-12-2009, 01:16 AM
That or you've put some lever onto the wrong setting

John H
09-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I support the weight idea. On my player arm, there is a weight that you can move inwards or outwards on the opposite end of the player arm from the stylus. You need to get the balance right - if the weight is at one extreme your stylus will be too light and will skip. At the other extreme, the stylus will be pressing unnecessarily hard into the grooves of the record creating premature wear.

I had another arm that had a wee weight suspended on "fishing line" thread from the player arm. It gently helped the arm track across the record. You could also adjust the leverage of that weight by choosing where it was suspended closer to or further away from the stylus end. Same issue.

You could try changing the cartridge as the others suggest, but that could be either impossible if the player is outdated, or otherwise very expensive. I would check the weight issue first - that will cost you nothing.

GorCh
11-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey all. Thanks for the suggestions and help. Investigated the weight thing, but adding small weights didn't help anywhere. So we took it into the place we had bought some LP's, and they took a look. Was a new needle needed, so had that done. Got it back and was well worth it so far. :)

Cheers again.

Whenu
11-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Music sound different to digitally accustomed ears?