PDA

View Full Version : Loading Windows 98 SE

30-07-2001, 12:57 PM
I recently upgraded to a Duron 800 processor with new mother board and hard drive. I purchased Win 98 SE. All is fine with this new system.
I decided to give my old PC a birthday and do a clean install of the OS. It is a Pentium 200 and 48MB RAM with a Maxtor 8.4GB Hard drive. I reformatted the hard drive, created 2 partitions of 2GB and 6.4GB, labelled as logical drives C and D. I have tried to load Win 98 SE and keep getting an error message as follows: 'Setup has detected a corrupt Setup (.CAB) file and cannot continue.' This occurs while the setup program is getting ready to copy the files to drive C. I thought that maybe my Win 98 SE CD was faulty, so I tried to load Win 95 (which was originally loaded on this computer). I get the same error message. What do you suggest??

Regards
Malcolm Dean

30-07-2001, 01:34 PM
Hi

Take a look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q140/9/01.ASP

Loks like the cause can be many things, from a faulty cd rom to interference by anti virus programs.

Good luck

Matt

04-08-2001, 10:59 AM
Try copying the setup directory to your hard drive and running from there.
At dos prompt for drive c:
type md win98
then copy e:\win98\*.* c:\win98
this will copy the contents of your win98 setup folder to your c drive.
Change the c: to d: if you wish to copy the files to the second partition and the e: I am assuming is your cd-rom drive letter(could be f: if you are booting from the standard win98 boot disk with ramdisk).