PDA

View Full Version : Obese people and taxing soft drinks

Digby
07-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi Guys,
I must admit I have a major dislike of obese people.
And I am worried about the drain on our health services - my tax dollars.
We all know that they need to eat less and move more.

But I do not agree with this new report on fat and tobacco that says we should increase the taxes on soft drinks.

Why don't they force the soft drink companies to reduce the amount of sugar in them by say 5 or 10% a year till it is down to a much lower figure.

And don't let them replace the sugar with anything.
This way we would all get used to the new "taste" and all take in less sugar.

I bought a ginger ale the other day and it was just so syruppy that I would not buy one again. (I am older now and bought it with my grand-kids for a treat for us, but it was so hard to drink)

Metla
07-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I bought a bottle of Ginger ale the other day, I mixed it with Bourbon.

Was pretty damn awesome.

Trev
07-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi Guys,
We all know that they need to eat less and move more.

But I do not agree with this new report on fat and tobacco that says we should increase the taxes on soft drinks.

Why don't they force the soft drink companies to reduce the amount of sugar in them by say 5 or 10% a year till it is down to a much lower figure.

And don't let them replace the sugar with anything.
This way we would all get used to the new "taste" and all take in less sugar.

I bought a ginger ale the other day and it was just so syruppy that I would not buy one again. (I am older now and bought it with my grand-kids for a treat for us, but it was so hard to drink)

Oh will, you won't like me then. I'm so sad.
:)

Marnie
07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I do agree that there is an obesity problem for some. I think I know how, but I'm not really sure whether they will tackle it in a realistic way.
As kids, we drank cordial drinks, they were full of sugar, but you seldom saw children as large as some are now. We ate Mum's home baking (yearning for some of those bought biscuits). We had puddings almost every night and yet we were definitely not fat. We ate breakfast, too. Fish and chips were a Friday night treat.
However, we were active. We walked, ran or biked to and from school. We played games (some of those are now no longer allowed to be played; someone may get hurt, you know!!) swam and took part in at least one sport; and I loved it.
Don't be too hard on the obese, Trev; some really do try hard to lose the weight.
Taxing the problem is taking the easy and greedy way out.
Marnie.

Terry Porritt
07-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I do agree that there is an obesity problem for some. I think I know how, but I'm not really sure whether they will tackle it in a realistic way.
As kids, we drank cordial drinks, they were full of sugar, but you seldom saw children as large as some are now. We ate Mum's home baking (yearning for some of those bought biscuits). We had puddings almost every night and yet we were definitely not fat. We ate breakfast, too. Fish and chips were a Friday night treat.
However, we were active. We walked, ran or biked to and from school. We played games (some of those are now no longer allowed to be played; someone may get hurt, you know!!) swam and took part in at least one sport; and I loved it.
Don't be too hard on the obese, Trev; some really do try hard to lose the weight.
Taxing the problem is taking the easy and greedy way out.

Marnie.

Spot on, bread and dripping for lunch and fried bread for breakfast was the wartime mainstay....yet no one at school was fat, just look at old sepia school photos from way back, not a fatty in sight.

R2x1
07-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Due to the Lucas stoves, the dripping was raw. Another brilliant Lucas health - giving iniative. ;)

Terry Porritt
07-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Due to the Lucas stoves, the dripping was raw. Another brilliant Lucas health - giving iniative. ;)

I don't know about stoves, but not much heat was given off a 24 watt main headlight bulb...

R2x1
07-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Not much heat, and less light. They fused pretty quickly. making Lucas the earlest producers of cold fusion and stil the only ones to make money from it.

Billy T
07-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Don't be too hard on the obese, Trev; some really do try hard to lose the weight. Marnie.

I do have some sympathy for the overweight, but my sympathy is tempered by a simple truth. Fundamentally it is not about genetics, or metabolism, or any of the other reasons and excuses put forward. It is not even about what they eat (as Marnie hinted at) because I grew up eating all those things and I've never been fat, nor have any of my friends and family.

It is about how much they send down their throat, and how often. It is as simple as that, and so is the answer. Above all things, regardless of what you eat, consume less of it, and exercise more.

I went to an Xmas party a week ago. It was down a loooong and steep right-of-way & driveway. There was a person there who was at least twice the weight of anybody else present, obese to the point of obscenity. I felt sorry for them in one respect only, when they left they were going to be carrying the equivalent of one and half of me on their back, all the way up that hill.

They stuffed their face, relentlessly, all night.

Go figure.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

pctek
07-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi Guys,

Right.

Ban diabetics, in fact ban anyone with an inherited medical condition. Start practicing selective breeding and execute all those who fail.

In fact ban anything that the government spends money on, after all in the dark ages no-one had hospital care, schooling, clean water, roads, police, the list will go on and on.

God knows why we namby pamby lot these days do.

Terry Porritt
07-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Not much heat, and less light. They fused pretty quickly. making Lucas the earlest producers of cold fusion and stil the only ones to make money from it.

Substitute the name Wipac, and you would be right :)

The 24 watt headlight bulb acted as a crude rev limiter on the D1 BSA Bantam with battery-less AC lighting. Too many revs at night and poof..... At idle, flicker, flicker, flicker :cool:

gary67
07-12-2009, 07:05 PM
It comes down to the fact that most now sit in front of a PC, TV, console for most of the day where as we didn't have those so were outside running around and I'm not that old they just weren't there in the 70's when I was a kid

CYaBro
07-12-2009, 07:26 PM
They can't take any sugar out as it is there to cover the taste of all the other crap they put in to the drink!

rob_on_guitar
07-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Just excercise. It works.

Metla
07-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I do have some sympathy for the overweight, but my sympathy is tempered by a simple truth. Fundamentally it is not about genetics, or metabolism, or any of the other reasons and excuses put forward. It is not even about what they eat

Then I'd love to know how my 52KG wife can eat whatever she looks at without ever putting on weight.

On the other hand mine goes up and down like a yo-yo, even when I eat the exact same meals as her.

Have exercised like crazy over the years, with little to no change.

Currently having much the same food intake as the wife and doing about 12km on the bicycle 3 times a week.

Still a fat bastard.

So in conclusion, Your a clever man Billy, But you don't know everything.

No doubt if I ate only a handful of nuts and a piece of lettuce a day then my weight would drop, But that aint living, Thats dieing.

Billy T
07-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Well, thanks for the compliment Metla, and I still have that bottle waiting in case I get to your neck of the woods some day, but I'm damned sure nobody can put on weight, or maintain weight by any means other than consumption by mouth.

Actually, I'm of the view that we need to focus more on a healthy weight range and what suits an individual's metabolism. It is gross obesity coupled with excessive consumption that I was railing against, if a little obliquely. What really upsets me is seriously obese parents with seriously obese kids, and the harm they are doing to them. I am equally opposed to human stick insects for exactly the same reasons.

Present company definitely excepted. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Trev
07-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Then I'd love to know how my 52KG wife can eat whatever she looks at without ever putting on weight.

On the other hand mine goes up and down like a yo-yo, even when I eat the exact same meals as her.

Have exercised like crazy over the years, with little to no change.

Currently having much the same food intake as the wife and doing about 12km on the bicycle 3 times a week.

Still a fat bastard.

No doubt if I ate only a handful of nuts and a piece of lettuce a day then my weight would drop, But that aint living, Thats dieing.

Yes I'm in the same situation as you Metla. I walk about 7km 3 or 4 times a week, eat mainly weight watchers meals. In my younger days I did alot of manual work unloading 20 tonne containers full of 50kg bags of chemicals by hand and was a big person then.

Sweep
07-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Same old story.

If you like it they'll tax it.
If it's bad they'll tax it even more.

beeswax34
08-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Yes I'm in the same situation as you Metla. I walk about 7km 3 or 4 times a week, eat mainly weight watchers meals. In my younger days I did alot of manual work unloading 20 tonne containers full of 50kg bags of chemicals by hand and was a big person then.

Muscle rather than fat?

rob_on_guitar
08-12-2009, 01:14 AM
To me being overweight of fat aint the same as obese. And I don't go for them obese indicator test crap, (the same ones that reckon the all blacks were obese), obese is like that person on Auckland who couldn't be moved from hospital because the doors weren't wide enough.

Or those ones that when they sit down the stomach hangs down between their knees.

Frikin disgusting.

Digby
08-12-2009, 06:59 AM
I'm with you Rob
We're talking about obese, rather than a bit overweight.
I don't think that Metla and Trev are obese !
But I know that if you eat less everyday than you do now, you WILL lose weight.

Cicero
08-12-2009, 07:31 AM
We can't deny we have different metabolisms and as such we respond differently to the same amount of tucker.

pctek
08-12-2009, 08:38 AM

How much do you drink? Cause alcohol has gigantic calories.

However, same with husband, he won't ever get fat, he could stuff himself and all that happens is his sugar levels would go up.

prefect
08-12-2009, 08:51 AM
It still make me very angry when I see fat people eating junk food knowing my hard earned taxes are going to be used to keep the cretins alive

Metla
08-12-2009, 08:56 AM
How much do you drink? Cause alcohol has gigantic calories.

Pretty much nothing.

No fizzy, No sugar in anything, Trying to survive on cup-of-soups:waughh:

The ginger ale and bourbon I mentioned earlier was a rare event.

Cicero
08-12-2009, 09:05 AM
It still make me very angry when I see fat people eating junk food knowing my hard earned taxes are going to be used to keep the cretins alive

I don't suppose it is any consolation,but you are not alone.

convair
08-12-2009, 09:30 AM
What are they going to think of next? How are they going to control it?

SurferJoe46
08-12-2009, 09:53 AM
ME: Age almost 64, 1.8m tall, retired with disabilities that limit my physical activities badly.

I consume many calories in fat, milk/cheeses, alcohol (some, not lots!), candy, very fattening foods of my own creation and I have risen to 77.112kg, but I have held that weight for seven years and I think that's about where I'll prolly stay for the rest of my life.

Originally - I took on a few pounds from my original youthful 150lbs/68kg, and went to 170lbs/77kg in the US Navy. I've been there ever since.

Just last month in the local newspaper - a totally obese woman had to have surgery and as they were putting her on the gurney to haul her to the hospital in a 10-wheel dump truck (NZ= BIG lorry) hey found several candy bars and a few cookies (biscuits=NZ) in the fat folds of her body. She had forgotten about them - but thanked the attendants for finding them for her for later consumption. "Hospital foods are not very nourishing" she said, sticking the goodies back in her fat folds.

The doctors who worked on her had to form a tag-team and hold hands as they were afraid that one or some of them might fall into the patient to never be seen again. Carabiners and safety ropes were issued to all in the surgical suite.

prefect
08-12-2009, 09:59 AM
She is lucky in one respect her tummy fat fold is supporting her breasts.

pctek
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
No fizzy, No sugar in anything, Trying to survive on cup-of-soups:waughh:

Give up. Remain fat and enjoy food because you die whether you;'re thin or fat.

johcar
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
The thing I like most about fat people is that they make me look skinny! :D

R2x1
08-12-2009, 10:44 AM
It is a wise precaution on mass transport to ensure that everyone in front of you is fatter than you. That way they are an assett in the event of a sudden stop, whereas large people behind you . . . .

convair
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
The thing I like most about fat people is that they make me look skinny! :D

Isn't that true:clap

rob_on_guitar
08-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Give up. Remain fat and enjoy food because you die whether you;'re thin or fat.

Own the fat.

Sounds like your quite active anyway mets, thats the key, youre probably just a big dude anyway.

The freak in SJ story is frikin disgusting.

KiwiTT_NZ
08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
The more fat people we have the more money we will have in retirement, due to their early than normal deaths.

Paul.Cov
08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I find stress does a lot to help control weight, so work has helped over the years to control my weight... so unemployment is a many-edged sword. You get bored and depressed, and turn to foods for comfort. You're not working, so not burning off calories through movement, and you're not burning of calories through stress.
Actually, perhaps brain activity should also be factored in. That clump of neurons burns something like 25% of the bodies energy, so maybe there's not the same cranial energy consumption when idle as well.

I'd like to see food stamps used for part of all benefits, with the stamps being only good for core, healthy foods. Not for sugar, choc, smokes, booze, TAB, biscuits, icecream, flavoured milk, takeaways, snack foods, petrol, lotto, travel, SkyTV, music/DVD/Video rental or purchase. Benefits are to support your life, not your lifestyle!

Was told by a lady from the Salvation Army that they ran into trouble including bags of flour with the other goodies in their food handouts - people were clueless how to use it, so now they have to include instructions about how to bake things... fine as long as they still have maintained payments on their electricity.

SurferJoe46
08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
The more fat people we have the more money we will have in retirement, due to their early than normal deaths.

Sadly that's not always true. Whilst they live, the acquire humongous medical bills that are all paid out of the public coffers.

Although some people grow obese from glandular disorders, by far the greater number are that way because they did it to themselves. Gluttony is one thing I cannot tolerate - but then again - that's just me.

Poor people too seem to have more overweight issues than people who are more affluent. It might be forced upon the low-income ones from their lesser earning abilities to buy foods with lower fat or sugar content.

Since I live so close to Mexico, and their people - as a rule - prefer their women with some meat on the bones (read: PLUMP), it may also be a zonal or genetic disorder too. It's a sign of male sexual prowess to keep a woman with large thighs - maybe as a possible hedge for future starvation? Perhaps as a statement of the male's earning capacity - after all, he has to feed her to keep her that size and that must take a lot of food!

I dunnow - but a Mexican guy I worked with said he likes his women fat since they are dual purposed.

1) a warm spot to cozy up to on a cold night
2) a convenient shady spot to sit under in the summer.

KiwiTT_NZ
08-12-2009, 12:53 PM
They get to about 60-65 if they are lucky. I hope to reach 90-100 a significant difference.

Sweep
08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I find stress does a lot to help control weight, so work has helped over the years to control my weight... so unemployment is a many-edged sword. You get bored and depressed, and turn to foods for comfort. You're not working, so not burning off calories through movement, and you're not burning of calories through stress.
Actually, perhaps brain activity should also be factored in. That clump of neurons burns something like 25% of the bodies energy, so maybe there's not the same cranial energy consumption when idle as well.

I'd like to see food stamps used for part of all benefits, with the stamps being only good for core, healthy foods. Not for sugar, choc, smokes, booze, TAB, biscuits, icecream, flavoured milk, takeaways, snack foods, petrol, lotto, travel, SkyTV, music/DVD/Video rental or purchase. Benefits are to support your life, not your lifestyle!

Was told by a lady from the Salvation Army that they ran into trouble including bags of flour with the other goodies in their food handouts - people were clueless how to use it, so now they have to include instructions about how to bake things... fine as long as they still have maintained payments on their electricity.

You can cook over an open fire / haybox combination

But at school the girls used to take home economics which included cooking and the boys took engineering and or woodwork.

Women used to know their place and Men did too.

Once upon a time the tasks were divided and we knew what we were responsible for. But sometimes the Men wanted to be nurses and the Women wanted to be Truck drivers and etc.

I suggest we don't all sit around judging other people.

SurferJoe46
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
They get to about 60-65 if they are lucky. I hope to reach 90-100 a significant difference.

There's a never ending crop of obese people right behind those that croak. You'll never get ahead of the curve with that idea.

It seems that as fast as the economies of the various nations go into the toilet (NZ= loo), the rise of fatter people also rise. Maybe formerly rich people, now broke, just eat to hide the pain.

I expect to see Bill and Melissa diving for aluminum cans and tossed out food bits in dumpsters soon, trying to assuage their new eating habits.

pctek
08-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see food stamps used for part of all benefits, with the stamps being only good for core, healthy foods.

Was told by a lady from the Salvation Army that they ran into trouble including bags of flour with the other goodies in their food handouts - people were clueless how to use it,.

Oh please. Not this again. Not all people on benefits are useless bludgers who can't cook.
Remember the recession? Remember the governments new WINZ thing if one lost their job and had a mortgage? So all those people suddenly become this group of stupid, lazy people do they?

I know 2 people who WORK at Winz, neither of them can cook for ****.
As for the Salvation army woman - she'd find that at all ends of the income spectrum.

How many people here bake? I don't bake sweet things, but I do make my own bread.
I've worked out that it's 60c a loaf. And it's a brilliant crusty almost ciabatta style so it beats the pants off squashy crap shop bread anyway.

prefect
08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I like my bread squishy not sure if same as squashy

Sweep
08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh please. Not this again. Not all people on benefits are useless bludgers who can't cook.
Remember the recession? Remember the governments new WINZ thing if one lost their job and had a mortgage? So all those people suddenly become this group of stupid, lazy people do they?

I know 2 people who WORK at Winz, neither of them can cook for ****.
As for the Salvation army woman - she'd find that at all ends of the income spectrum.

How many people here bake? I don't bake sweet things, but I do make my own bread.
I've worked out that it's 60c a loaf. And it's a brilliant crusty almost ciabatta style so it beats the pants off squashy crap shop bread anyway.

I bake scones but not cakes, I do roast Lamb, Pork, Beef cuts. I fry or BBQ cuts of meat and of course I also make stews and curries etc.

Given self rising flour or normal flour + BP and water I can make damper.

Digby
08-12-2009, 03:59 PM

True
Until they start demanding stomach stapling operations and more dole benefits cos they are too obese to work.

Metla
08-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Sounds like your quite active anyway mets, thats the key, youre probably just a big dude anyway.

Meh, I'm slow to start moving, and quick to come to a standstill.

Always the first to find a seat and take a load off.