PDA

View Full Version : Telecom just got fined half a mil

Digby
07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Guys

Just heard on the news that Telecom have been fined fro their false advertising of the Go Large plan of a few years ago.
It was found that it was neither "All you could Eat" nor "Full Speed"
As we all knew !
I think this verdict is great.
I hope the new Telecom has learned a lesson, cos every other "new deal" they announced had fishhooks in it.
I would like to think it is better now under Bruce McReynolds.

Regards

Digby

ronyville
07-12-2009, 04:06 PM
:lol: link (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10614000)

R2x1
07-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Yeah, right.

It may in fact be better, but that still leaves it pretty crass. More Tui.

robbyp
07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I pity the comcom didn't do the same to Inghams chickens for their advertising. eg. Advertising their chickens GM free, when they feed them GM feed. Probably becuase they know they would have got tied up in court for years, as they are a huge multinational company, unlike telecom, which is pretty small these days on a world scale.

Telecom did admit they had made errors a few years ago, and compensated users, so really this is a non event.

Cicero
07-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Guys

Just heard on the news that Telecom have been fined fro their false advertising of the Go Large plan of a few years ago.
It was found that it was neither "All you could Eat" nor "Full Speed"
As we all knew !
I think this verdict is great.
I hope the new Telecom has learned a lesson, cos every other "new deal" they announced had fishhooks in it.

Regards

Digby
I would like to see the geius Gatung paying for it out of her pocket.

She must be a genius to get 3 mill a year.

Terry Porritt
07-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Brings back memories of achieving about 1.8kbps on Go Large, like going back to a 14.4k or worse modem. Bye bye telecon...for ever.....

Remember these ?....Telecon Unleashed (http://www.box.net/shared/qhmz61ih3l) (4.5MB),

or this classic Gattung.."Telecom has used confusion as its chief marketing tool, and that's fine..." (http://www.box.net/shared/rk5t6ym41z) (10MB)

Roscoe
07-12-2009, 04:40 PM
The amount of the fine needs to be put in perspective.

Telecom makes about $2m per day.

When you look at it that way, one quarter of a day's profit is but a drop in the bucket.

They should have made it more like $60m. That would hurt more.

Let's face it. Telecom - and Gattung - will be laughing.

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah it's gotta suck for the new CEO getting stung with her screwups.

Telecom (IMO) really *do* seem to have changed in the last 6 months, they're making an honest effort, and from talking with the staff, techs, and even some of the people who've been helping traffic-manage Big Time, there's this real sense that's coming from the top -> down that they CAN be a world-class telecommunications company. Seriously from what I can see they're really trying to make Big Time a plan that works nice and fast for everything possible EXCEPT file-sharing / P2P stuff...

But yeah half a million sucks, Gatung shoulda paid for it outta her own pocket for all the wrong she did to NZ :D

R2x1
07-12-2009, 04:52 PM
All Telecom customers are expected to be levied to cover the fine plus a bit to cover costs. All part of the botched asterisk family togetherness feel-good thing.

robbyp
07-12-2009, 06:01 PM
All Telecom customers are expected to be levied to cover the fine plus a bit to cover costs. All part of the botched asterisk family togetherness feel-good thing.

They would have insurance to cover those things. Plus the Lawyers fees and cost to the NZ tax payer would probably exceed what that fine is, which is really tiny for a large NZ company. Total waste of tax payers money IMOH.

They really should be going after these finance companies and their directors, and other financial organisations. Statements along the lines of 'able to withstand all conditions', and then they fail, they must be misleading.
Something like $10 billion wiped from the NZ economy, and mum and dad investors are hurting, and it will be decades before the economy recovers.

bk T
07-12-2009, 08:23 PM

She must be a genius to get 3 mill a year.

There are many others who are getting >3 m a year AND, greater genius(es?).

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2009, 08:54 PM
There are many others who are getting >3 m a year AND, greater genius(es?).

I just wanna know where I sign up for that :D

ubergeek85
08-12-2009, 05:07 AM
I just wanna know where I sign up for that :D

The local gang house.

Digby
08-12-2009, 05:51 AM
They really should be going after these finance companies and their directors, and other financial organisations. Statements along the lines of 'able to withstand all conditions', and then they fail, they must be misleading.
Something like $10 billion wiped from the NZ economy, and mum and dad investors are hurting, and it will be decades before the economy recovers.

x2
That was when our recession started.
And until the government tidies up our sharemarket and investment rules, people will never invest as much in our economy as we need.

Digby
08-12-2009, 05:53 AM
But yeah half a million sucks, Gatung shoulda paid for it outta her own pocket for all the wrong she did to NZ :D

x2
And that guy Rod Deane

Battleneter2
08-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Yeah it's gotta suck for the new CEO getting stung with her screwups.

What planet are you on?, he must be in tears lol, oh and the staff love him!!
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10593103

Telecom had rubbish management long before Gattung that only ever cared about the share holders and doing the absolute minimum to hold off government regulation.

Thankfully I have a memory longer than 6 seconds unlike some and do all I can to not support them them in ANY way.

Oh love the outsaucing of Kiwi jobs too, thats a nice rub salt into the wounds.

Feel sorry for Telecom in any way, i think not grasshopper add some more 00's :)

robbyp
08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
x2
That was when our recession started.
And until the government tidies up our sharemarket and investment rules, people will never invest as much in our economy as we need.

Its why people buy houses instead invest in, and why house prices are too high compared to our incomes.

Also because the NZ reserve bank isn't raising interest rates with OZ, NZers are moving their cash into Australian bank accounts, where you can get higher interest rates, and may benefit from a falling $NZ. NZ is in a lot of trouble.

robbyp
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
What planet are you on?, he must be in tears lol, oh and the staff love him!!
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10593103

Telecom had rubbish management long before Gattung that only ever cared about the share holders and doing the absolute minimum to hold off government regulation.

Thankfully I have a memory longer than 6 seconds unlike some and do all I can to not support them them in ANY way.

Oh love the outsaucing of Kiwi jobs too, thats a nice rub salt into the wounds.

Feel sorry for Telecom in any way, i think not grasshopper add some more 00's :)

You think Telstra of vodafone are any better? Both have also been fined for things, and they are solely in the game for making profits.