PDA

View Full Version : Headphones to use with iPod

R.M.
05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
'Himself' has an iPod which he has his whole classical (and other) music collection plus some movies he particularly likes. This allows him to listen/watch in bed without driving me batty.

However, the headphones need replacing and as Christmas is coming...

I talked to the guy in DSE who said he wouldn't need noise cancelling ones.

What suggestions would you people make, and why? :)

As always - TIA.

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Any will do. I'm just using one like what it came with

R.M.
05-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Sorry - I forgot to mention (!) that he doesn't like those 'bud' type in his ears, prefers the headphone types, but the ones he has have broken...

I think they were comparatively cheap ones from Noel Leeming, but seeing as it is Christmas and all... :)

the_bogan
05-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Any will do. I'm just using one like what it came with

Not true Speedy. For starters, the speakers that come with the ipods are "average" at best.

Unless R.M wants to hear everything her husband is listening to, a bit of research is required.

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Bollocks. Earbuds are loud enough. Unless you want to make yourself deaf. Ipods DON'T come with speakers

R.M.
05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Unless R.M wants to hear everything her husband is listening to, a bit of research is required.

No thanks!

R.M.
05-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Unless you want to make yourself deaf.

I suspect he already has... I'm looking after myself!

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2009, 05:48 PM
lol. Well I wouldnt get big ones anyway, or blast it. You've got more chance of the battery running flatter faster. Whats the Ipod? An old one / new one / video / touch?

Metla
05-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Headphones that came with my iphone are rubbish, uncomfortable, nasty,ill fitting, destroyers of music. They shouldn't have bothered if they were going to be so cheap.

I have noise canceling inner-ear ones, Use them for the bicycle,wouldn't want em when I'm relaxing, I'd go for a big set of quality ear-warmers.

Metla
05-12-2009, 05:58 PM
These look cool

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/audio-mp3/portable-audio-mp3/headphones/audio-technica-athanc7-noise-cancelling-headphones/prod98208.html

and these

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/audio-mp3/portable-audio-mp3/headphones/philips-sbchc8540-34-headphones/prod89264.html

R.M.
05-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Whats the Ipod? An old one / new one / video / touch?

Classic 80gig. It came from Oz before they were available here - I think. So that's a year or so ago!

R.M.
05-12-2009, 06:49 PM
These look cool

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/audio-mp3/portable-audio-mp3/headphones/audio-technica-athanc7-noise-cancelling-headphones/prod98208.html

and these

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/audio-mp3/portable-audio-mp3/headphones/philips-sbchc8540-34-headphones/prod89264.html

As dear as that? Goodness...

wainuitech
05-12-2009, 07:19 PM
It depends on how good a quality you want - I dumped the Earbuds right away on mine - went and got a cheap pair of standard head phones with a 3.5mm plug from the warehouse, they were only around $30 - good enough for what I wanted, yet a huge improvement on the Earbuds.

The ones I have are Similar to these (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Snap_2009.12.05_19.24.20_002.jpg) < not those actual ones but close - SWMBO is often poking me in the ribs telling me to shut up, no one can hear the music - only my terrible singing along :lol:

KarameaDave
05-12-2009, 07:20 PM
The difficulty with buying headphones for someone else, is that they may not be comfortable, or worse, their performance, dynamic range etc may not sound good to him.
It would be best if he could try them first.

CliveM
05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
If he is deaf to high pitch noise (I am) noise cancelling earphones do not make much difference. Not going to be needed in a quiet environment anyway (I would guess you are not all that noisy in the bedroom). In my opinion it is not worth spending a lot on good noise cancelling ones.

Metla
05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
SWMBO is often poking me in the ribs telling me to shut up, no one can hear the music - only my terrible singing along :lol:

I often chuckle when I see people getting right into their music, I see a few dancing down the street.

(thinks back to last weekend when I forget where I was and went into my foot tapping, head banging ,sing along with the solo routine)

Metla
05-12-2009, 08:01 PM
As dear as that? Goodness...

Ah, I was just being silly, They look damn fine, But I'd never spend that much.

whellington
05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=445

$172NZD

Metla
05-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Now I have a problem, For no logical reason I have just started to crave a high-end set of headphones.:eek:

whellington
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM

BobM
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
'Himself' has an iPod which he has his whole classical (and other) music collection plus some movies he particularly likes. This allows him to listen/watch in bed without driving me batty.

However, the headphones need replacing and as Christmas is coming...

I talked to the guy in DSE who said he wouldn't need noise cancelling ones.

What suggestions would you people make, and why? :)

As always - TIA.

Hi RM.
Have been looking around for a set myself. Sennheiser model HD201. DSE had them down from $69.99 to $57.00 today. Noel L web site had them down from $59.99 to $39.99. ! Guess where I'm going tomorrow morning. :)

Metla
06-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Guess where I'm going tomorrow morning. :)

Somewhere nice for lunch?

the_bogan
06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi RM.
Have been looking around for a set myself. Sennheiser model HD201. DSE had them down from $69.99 to $57.00 today. Noel L web site had them down from $59.99 to $39.99. ! Guess where I'm going tomorrow morning. :)

bed?

R.M.
06-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi RM.

Just been there (to Noel Leemings), and yes, $39.99 is the price. :)

BobM
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Metla = Yes.

the bogan = No.

:lol: :lol:

Got them!

Krisby5
07-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Now I have a problem, For no logical reason I have just started to crave a high-end set of headphones.:eek:
I brought a pair of Sennheiser HD 555's, (sennheiser) they are amazing and yes I am a bit of an audiofile

Thebananamonkey
07-12-2009, 10:51 AM
How much are you looking to spend?

I'd stay away from Sennheiser. You'll hear lots on the net about Sennheiser's "Veil". It basically means that they're "airbrushing" the music... no detail.

There are good headphones for every price bracket, $50-500-5000. Decide on your ideal budget, form factor and what you're listening to with them. Grado make some good headphones for a good price, better for rock though.

www.headphone.com is a good site to look. Look in your price range and find the ones with the highest rank. It's what I did... until I decided I'd go up a price range or thirty.

wmoore
08-12-2009, 10:07 AM
How much are you looking to spend?

I'd stay away from Sennheiser. You'll hear lots on the net about Sennheiser's "Veil". It basically means that they're "airbrushing" the music... no detail.

There is nothing wrong with Sennheiser, unless you are a Grado fanboy. :p

Brooko
08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
R.M.

I have these at home - Sennheiser EH250 (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=3283) - just under $100 (incl gst and delivered). Really good sound and really comfortable. they're "closed" as well - so you won't be hearing what he's hearing. I use mine mainly at computer - and they are very good.

BTW - there's nothing wrong with the Sennheiser sound - it just depends on how much you want to pay and what type of sound is best for you. Each brand have totally different sound signatures. Best way to check - if it's not a 'surprise' gift - is to go to an audio shop, take the ipod, and actually try different brands.

While my experience is not vast with this, I have listened to quite a few different set-ups (including low end Philips, Sony etc - to high end Grado, Shure etc). I currently have the Sennheisers for the computer, Sonys for the TV (upgrading to Senn wireless soon), and high-end Shures (SE420) for my Cowon MP3 player. There is a massive difference in the sound signatures between the Shures and Senns.

Oh - and for my ears, the Shures were worth every penny :D