PDA

View Full Version : Trouble loading XP pro onto HDD

straka01
04-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm having trouble loading XP pro onto a clean HDD. I've fdisked it, partitiion it (1x large partition) and I've formatted it.
I've started the XP disc and loaded up the setup files.
Then it wants to reboot after 15secs - which is normal.
However, after it reboots it comes up with 'boot from the cd - press enter'... which I do, then it starts loading the setup files from scratch all over again.

Now, I've loaded many PCs in the past with 95, 98 2k & XP (home & pro) but I've never struck this before.

What on earth am I doing wrong?
How do I stop it cycling & get it to continue loading from where it left off before rebooting?

I've tried changing the CMOS boot sequence around - but no success.

At present I've got it doing a format ready to try again.

KarameaDave
04-12-2009, 10:33 AM
No, don't push enter or any other key.
That's your problem.
Let the installation boot and it will continue with the process.

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Yup just press a key once then leave it everytime it reboots. Otherwise, you'll be there all day. You dont have to fdisk / partition it before you install XP. You can do this during the setup

straka01
04-12-2009, 11:01 AM
OK. I let it go through the reboot scene.
Then, when it got to 'press any key to boot from the cd' I did nothing.
Then all it did was come up with the C:/ prompt. It's on the screen now.
What now?
Control Alt Delete will reboot it but it keeps getting back to the same screen.

pctek
04-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Then it wants to reboot after 15secs - which is normal.
However, after it reboots it comes up with 'boot from the cd - press enter'... which I do, .

Because you don't. you let it continue at this point.

straka01
04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
But if i let it continue (I've just done it again by the way) it just comes up with the C:/ prompt?

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Its meant to go back to installing XP / the setup screen. Everytime you reboot. If it doesnt there's a prob somewhere. Just wait for a few minutes. Then see what happens

straka01
04-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, it's been stopped on the C:\ prompt for a few minutes - nothing's happening?
What do I try now?

Is there a way to get the CD to run setup from the C:\ prompt?

Just checking: Should I have the CDROM first boot device & HDD second? Does it matter?

KarameaDave
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes you should have cd drive as first boot device,change to it and try again. Is the CD of XP a known good one?
Could it be scratched or something?
Have you cleaned it?

straka01
04-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Actually, I've tried with two different copies of XP pro - & I keep getting the same problem. Both CD's look fine & clean.
I'm just reloading the setup files again. Do you think I should install in the same partition but format it (quick format) beforehand? I've never struck this issue before.

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the cd save settings, reboot, with the cd in. Wait for it to tell you to press a key. Press a key. Wait for it to get to the setup screen. Do a full format from here. Then reinstalll XP. Wait for it to finish let it reboot, then leave it alone. Till it gets back to where it left off. So it can resume installing XP. Whats the brand / model of the mobo, and have you slipstreamed any service packs ??

KarameaDave
04-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Starting the Windows XP Setup program at a command prompt
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848

straka01
04-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I seem to have sorted the problem. It was occurring because of HDD issues and BIOS settings. I had a ATA IDE drive and a SATA drive attached to the M/B. I was trying to load the O/S onto the ATA IDE drive.
Once I disconnected the ATA IDE drive and just used the SATA drive (& changed the BIOS settings) all has come right & windows is loading beautifully.

Many thanks for all your help people.