PDA

View Full Version : No Wonder They Void Smoker's Computer Warranties

SurferJoe46
03-12-2009, 05:17 PM
CAUTION - DIRTY PICTURES!

REMOVE CHILDREN FROM IN FRONT OF THE SCREEN.

Another Yuck! (http://regmedia.co.uk/2009/11/05/dirtiest_pc.jpg) :dogeye:

robbyp
03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Most of those would just be normal dust buildup. The smokers version would be far worse, as the dust buildup would be more solid and tar like It is also partly caused by poorly designed cases.

lakewoodlady
03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
CAUTION - DIRTY PICTURES!

REMOVE CHILDREN FROM IN FRONT OF THE SCREEN.

Another Yuck! (http://regmedia.co.uk/2009/11/05/dirtiest_pc.jpg) :dogeye:

:lol::lol::lol:

LL

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
It probably depends WHERE the case is, and where your mouth is. Mine's sitting on my desk. I smoke, and the case looks nothing like that. And has never had anything like that in it. Altho the sister's PC in Oz is probably full of dust. Since it keeps saying something about thermal on startup. Its probably ready to die / fry soon if she doesnt clean it out

SurferJoe46
03-12-2009, 06:16 PM
MOST of that "dust" is cast off human skin cells

Greg
03-12-2009, 07:03 PM
MOST of that "dust" is cast off human skin cells
Unless its been used in a wood mill.

razzarphenix
03-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I've seen plenty that are worse. Some good ones are engineering firms with that dark black dust from welders etc.. Also seen computers completely white from a place where they make stone benchtops used to be amazed anything worked at all. They had a good old Nokia M1122 that was literally buried under the dust found it by yanking on ethernet cables :)

nate
03-12-2009, 08:57 PM
The worst we used to find was diesel dust. It gets everywhere, and you end up having to replace power supplies as they pack up quickly.

tweak'e
03-12-2009, 09:06 PM
seen much worse.
house by country road (limestone dust) + dust from large family, add a bit of pollen etc in. they can get really bad.
bad smokers ones are easy to see as its generally yellow. stains the crap out of whiteware !
however usually find cigi smoke makes the dust stick more, usually the pc will smell like a ciggi :( because its a bit more sticky, in humid conditions they can track (short out) through the dust, often blowing the electronics.

i've know a couple that went up in flames due to dust build up.

Tony
03-12-2009, 09:28 PM
I was doing some work for a company in Singapore. The good PCs went out to client offices, and we workers got the cast-offs. The machine I was working on packed a sad, and when we opened it up, the case fan was totally stuffed with chicken feathers! Clearly some Singaporean chicken farner was doing forex trading on the side.

robsonde
03-12-2009, 10:07 PM
you should see the bad things that happen to LCD screens at Mac Donalds...

ever seen the screen the hang just above the chip fry?
they need replacing every 6 months...
the insides look like they need an oil change.

robbyp
03-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Inside a smokers computer http://www.topix.com/album/detail/rogersville-tn/KR63JQKGCNFCSDBQ

pctek
04-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Smoking does not cause fluff. Or rodents.
Nor do rodents fit through teeny weeny gaps in a closed computer. Someone ring the SPCA for them forcing them into it.

KarameaDave
04-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Perhaps, as skin cells make up the bulk of household dust, Apple could
void the warranty on computers owned by all those with skin!:D

wratterus
04-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Yeah that's not super bad, it's not 'bad' dust either, eg it would just blow off. When you see a PC like that in a damp place, then it gets annoying. Got a couple of PCs around here that live in mills and the like, quite amusing to work on sometimes.

Don't know about the mice though, there's no way even the most anorexic mouse could squeeze into a normal PSU.

SolMiester
04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Most of those would just be normal dust buildup. The smokers version would be far worse, as the dust buildup would be more solid and tar like It is also partly caused by poorly designed cases.

I concur, none of those showed smoking as a ventblocker!

pctek
04-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Inside a smokers computer http://www.topix.com/album/detail/rogersville-tn/KR63JQKGCNFCSDBQ

No.
It's still fluff.
Might be brown fluff but if he cleaned out the fluff then it would be more to the point.

I smoke. My PC has neither dust nor residue nor anything, and the worst filth I saw, as I have said before, was the coal dust guys one. And he was one of those disgusting never cleaned house people too.

convair
04-12-2009, 11:17 AM

:yuck: thats digusting. I'm sure thats something else.

tweak'e
04-12-2009, 11:32 AM
the color is more like a smokers. the smell is the big give away. but still the dust is not from smoking. the smoke just helps stick the dust together.
the worse ones is where it soaks into the paint and coats the electronic boards. mind you where talking houses where you could scrape tar off the walls ;)

Smoking does not cause fluff. Or rodents.
Nor do rodents fit through teeny weeny gaps in a closed computer. Someone ring the SPCA for them forcing them into it.

actually rodents can get the small gaps. worse one i had was a mouse in the vents of a microwave. fortunately for them it was the exhaust vent. it would have gone in as a baby and grown up on all the fat in the vent.
i run into lots at work. 10-15 mm gap for them to get in, nice warm shelter with a fair bit of food.

hueybot3000
04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Im a smoker and my computer is spotless

prefect
04-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I cleaned out neighbours computer of dust/fluff and it smelled like an ashtray, house other wise clean.
Dont listen to filthy smokers when they say they cant smell the filthy smoke smell they are immune to its smell. If they smelt it it would make them quit.
God forbid some people are still smoking inside a house, seems amazing in this enlightened age.

hueybot3000
04-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Im all to aware of the smell, true I cant smell it but before my smoking days I was around them alot and I know it stinks.

I smoke inside now as its just me and flatmate, the mrs packed and left so there was no need to be hygenic anymore

pctek
04-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Dont listen to filthy smokers when they say they cant smell the filthy smoke smell

Well I just went and sniffed in the general direction of the ashtray and yes, I can smell it quite well thanks.
And yes my clothes too if I have smoked a lot in an enclosed area.

But my computer is lovely and fresh smelling. Smells a bit like hot metal is all.