PDA

View Full Version : AVerMedia ExpressCard not detecting.

CCF
03-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey ya guys

Just got a odd problem here that I cant quite figure what is wrong.

I just purchased a AVerMedia Hybrid NanoExpress (http://www.avermedia.com/AVerTV/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=447&tab=APDriver) card, in other words a DVB-T card in expresscard format. However the product I brought was the ones that they ship with dell laptops, which mine is a Compaq v3000. So possible incompatible issue exist here, but assuming no problems here, I chucked the card in, installed the drivers and app, but the app, and I think Xp as well, is not detecting the expresscard. The app says the Device is not ready, and under Device Manager in XP I cant seem to find the expresscard under any where. When I plug and unplug the expresscard there are no sound like what you would hear from plugging/unplugging USB devices.

So Im lost here, I dont know if my Expresscard slot is stuffed or that the expresscard is stuffed or that because it was shipped with dell laptops it is only capable of running on dell laptops. I have tried drivers from the manufacture website and from dell. Main problem I guess is that I need to know whether or not XP actually sees this device.

So yeah any comments etc will be highly appreciated :)

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Did you use the driver / app from the cd (if it came with one). Or did you use a later version of both from the site?? If its like this one (which is USB but not Expresscard), it'll appear under sound / video and game controllers in device manager. The only version of the app / driver that worked on this was from the cd it came with. Any other version was either unstable. And that error you saw also appeared

CCF
03-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks speedy for your prompt reply.

Sadly it didnt come with any cd drivers so had to d/l them. I d/l AVerTV 6.0.12, the version just before their beta release. Also tried their AVer MediaCenter 1.7.0. Both package had XP drivers in them, both application failed to detect the device. Tried Dell's R175809.exe drivers for DVB-T, application failed as well.

In windows, under Device manager, sound / video and game controllers, what sort of name will it have? I dont see anything that is remotely related to AVerMedia, I have audio, video codec, legacy audio & video codecs, my sound driver and Media Control Device. I dont know what this Media Control Device is though.

Im still researching on the problem and have across similar problems with other users, whats bumming about this is that even dell laptop users have problems detecting the device. Link here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=247568)

From the sound of your post I take it that you had experienced problems with the USB version as well aye? :S

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2009, 01:49 PM
The USB DVB-T tuner (volar-X) is fine with Vista x64. Which is what I'm using at the mo. However, it'll only work with the version of the app/driver that came on cd. I've tried all the other versions of both the app and driver on the site.

The app, was either too unstable, or some channels were out of sync. When using the updated apps on the site. The only thing this volar-x wont work in, is Media Center (in Vista - it doesnt have the right files for it). However, the tuner DOES get detected in Windows 7 Media Center. And works fine. BUT, is also unstable / out of sync. If I use a later version of the app in Windows 7 (the app on the cd that came with this tuner, isnt compatible with Windows 7). It'll install, but will freeze the system. In device manager for this (under sounds, its called Avermedia A815 (USB DVB-T). Avermedia were testing a new version of the app (for Windows 7). Since I got in touch with them, a few mths ago, I sent a 650mb dmp file to them thru FTP. Of what was happening, with the video. They wanted to do this again, BUT I am no longer Windows 7 x64. Due to the above. Its too unstable

CCF
03-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Ah i see, hmm seems like they have quite bit of driver issues with their tuners.

Goods news here is that I have just tested the tuner on another laptop, non-dell, though with vista OS, and it picked up the card. But like many people in other forums, apps fails to pick up the tuner. I guess good news is that the tuner is working. Problem now is that I dont know if its my express slot that is screwed or that im just lacking proper drivers for xp. Cos in vista once I chucked in the card it immediately asked where were the drivers for the card, with xp...nothing.

Is there some sort of diagnostic software to test if expresscard slots is functional?

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2009, 02:43 PM
I tried the driver that windowsupdate picks up in Vista and Win7. Thats WHAT brought up the device isnt ready error. When I ran the app. So, it was either: one driver worked, the other didnt lol. Or the older version of the app worked but the latest didnt.

I would send Avermedia an email (http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/Support/ContactSupport.aspx) with the details of that expresscard. You have to do it on the site. Explain what you've done so far. And see what they can do. You could try and go to the windowupdate site and see if a driver appears there. Install it see what happens. If it doesnt work, roll back the driver. The only other thing it maybe is, I think there's different versions of expresscard around, the slot in that may not be compatible with the card??

CCF
03-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks speedy, will give them an email, sort of running out of drivers and things to test under XP :badpc:

Anyways much appreciated for your help, will update this post once I get some progress or a fix from AVerMedia.

Thank you again :)

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Sweet, no probs :)

CCF
03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Have emailed them, so just waiting for their reply.

Just came across this faq on their site in regards to identifying if the tuner is defective. It would appear that once the device is plugged in, a New Hardware box suppose to pop up like you would see if you chuck in a new USB device... hmmm....since I did not see any of this, even though I have unplugged and plugged the tuner many many times...would this suggest my express port is stuffed?

Also I came across Expresscard slot to USB adapters, eg converts express to USB port. Since Expresscard have much higher bandwidth than USB I was wondering if any one would know that if I use the adapter, would the decrease in bandwidth be highly noticeable?

Comments/suggestions welcome ^^

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Have emailed them, so just waiting for their reply.

Just came across this faq on their site in regards to identifying if the tuner is defective. It would appear that once the device is plugged in, a New Hardware box suppose to pop up like you would see if you chuck in a new USB device... hmmm....since I did not see any of this, even though I have unplugged and plugged the tuner many many times...would this suggest my express port is stuffed?

That FAQ is screwed lol. I did the same thing when I got this thing. I installed the drivers then plugged the tuner in. Then I was told by Avermedia, that you should leave the tuner plugged in then install the drivers. So, i did, it was a bit of hit and miss sometimes. Even tho the drivers installed WHEN I installed the app, it kept on saying it couldnt find the drivers (huh)? Then a window appeared, asking where to install the drivers from. Sometimes, it installed fine, the app then the driver installed straight away. NO window, no message telling me the drivers didnt install.

If you want get teamviewer. If this is connected to the net, send the ID and password to me, in a PM. Keep the card plugged in. And I'll see if I can find out whats happening

tweak'e
03-12-2009, 09:12 PM
CCF.....whats the specs of your pc? what cpu and main chipset?

CCF
03-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Sorry for the delay, like the hundreds of other people I too had the new avast update. Though for some odd reason avast loved blocking all my essential progs. Glade to see the new update was replaced, was becoming worried that it may be several days before a fix was possible.

Anyways in the meantime I had a play around with the expresscard in vista, my sis laptop, and what did you know, it worked like a charm. Though obviously not with the AVerMedia app. Luckily I remembered I had DVBViewer and with AVerMedia drivers, it worked beautifully (vista 32bit home). Though reception drops from time to time, not too concerned about that, considering its running on the mini-antenna that it came with.

I think I'll just give this to my sis as a xmas prezzy, looks like getting it to run in XP will take a considerable amount of time with installing and uninstalling :badpc: this & that.

Though after some research I came across certain tuners (so far PCI types) have onboard encoders, which take a huge load off the CPU. Does any one know any USB tuners that have these onboard encoders. My laptop is an old little guy, Turion64 at 1.6Ghz, although it still can view HD materials (used to have a usb asus mini tuner), it does however uses the CPU pretty intensively (rough 60-85ish) = loud fan noise. So any suggestions on a good USB tuner will be great.

Once again Speedy much appreciated for your assistance in this little problem :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Sweet, good to hear its fixed. Bloody Avast :badpc: :lol: Good thing I got rid of that, because this stuffup happened