PDA

View Full Version : Video Driver Update

29-07-2001, 06:16 PM
I have a PC Company Pentium III 450 MH machine with 8m NVidia Riva TNT Vanta video card. 128meg ram. The machine is just over 2 years old.
I purchased MS Train Simulator and after loading I found that the Introductory train rides would not work and could not find one of the files but the main program ran. Other minor things like the introducing screen showed no video so taking their Read me notes it sugessted that the video driver be up dated to the latest. I down loaded the driver from Nvidia web site. The screen Icons have suddenly reduced in size and while I can alter the resolution it seems the original setting of about 800 x 600 is no longer availaable. This in itself does not worry me but now I find MS Train Simulator wont run. The creen goes black flickers a couple of times the Icons appear on a yellow screen as black blobs and within 3 -4 seconds retuns to the desktop. I have by the way uninstalled and renstalled MSTS 4 times. Boy have I got myself in a mess!! Any suggestions please.
Steve

29-07-2001, 10:47 PM
hi Stephen,

I'd suggest you start by going to add/remove programs, and uninstall the Detonator drivers. This will uninstall both the video card utils and the driver. If the original drivers had any utils, or show up in the add/remove programs applet then remove them too. Start the computer in Safe mode and go to the device manager. Delete any video adapters in there. Have your Detonator drivers handy when the computer reboots.

If the detonators have a setup.exe file, then when the computer detects your video card cancel the device installation and run the setup.exe.

If there isn't a setup.exe then when the computer detects your video card, point it at the folder with the drivers.

After either of these installation techniques, reboot.

Next check your direct-x is up to date. Run 'dxdiag' to check your version. You can download the latest direct-x from the microsoft site.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.