PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP networking problems

Monkeywrench
02-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I am having problems connecting to another computer on a home network. Both computers are running Windows XP with service pack 3 and share access to the internet via a ADSL modem (Netgear DG834).

I have run the network setup wizard on both computers and carefully checked that we were both using the same workgroup name on setup. I have also run the Network troubleshooting wizard and checked that both computers have their own unique names.

Can anybody suggest a solution to this problem?

KarameaDave
02-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Have you got a firewall on them? If so you may need to configure it.

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Dont use the wizard its hopeless. Just make sure both have the same workgroup, and share a folder. And tick simple file sharing. And yup if a firewall is on either besides XP's configure it

Monkeywrench
02-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried fiddling with the firewall software on both machines to no avail.

Now the plot thickens. Both machines are desktops connected by cable. I have a third machine (a laptop) running Vista (Service Pack 2) and connected via WiFi. I checked the laptop to see if it could access either of the desktops and it can access one of the desktop machines and not the other.

Confusing wot?

KarameaDave
02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
To be certain it is not a firewall issue, you could disable them all temporarily.
Have you created a share as Speedy suggested?

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2009, 09:56 PM
What firewall is installed on both (besides XP's)?

Monkeywrench
02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes, there are shared folders on both desktops. All three machines (desktops and laptop) are using Trend Micro Internet Security 2010. I tried switching this software off briefly (closed the program in the task bar) but this didn't seem to make any difference.

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Dont close it exit it. If its got a network wizard, configure the network with it. Go into its options somewhere. If its like most firewalls, it should have detected the networked PC's it should have asked you, if you wanted to configure it properly

inphinity
03-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Can the machines all ping each other? (May need the firewall disabled to test this). Can all access the internet OK?