PDA

View Full Version : An old fashioned working bee? (coding!)

adslgeek
02-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Hey guys!

I dunno if you are interested, but this Sat, I have had a couple of guys offer to help out on the building and design of the website, and in order to plan out what needs to be done - I thought nothing would beat an oldfashioned catchup /workingbee around at my place.

WHERE: North Shore, Auckland
WHEN: Maybe 11am - 3pm ish Sat ?
WHO: Anyone who wants to help
WHAT: Coding or help on site design, or modem / ISP research etc.
HOW: Bring laptop or notepaper, and we can just work through what we can do.

We can see who is keen and when you are available, and then work around that!

Also if you are unable to make it, or unable to make it for the whole time, then I could setup a skype room. (also might be potential for more problems so might be a stupid idea, but we should all be reasonably technical eh?)

THE TASKS?
I was keen to see who is available, and then put forward tasks based on what people are good at and actually want to do. :-)

But the main areas that Shade and I have been working on at the moment are:

* Site design
* Linux webserver and check network config (secure it, but this is pretty much done)
* Hack scripts (outbound vulnerability detection)
* Mac address detection (will allow us to detect remotely the customer manufacturer)
* Troubleshooter v2.0
* Modem page with public edit function + admin centre for moderators
* Better jobs board or just add another forum (?)
* Integrate look and feel (forum has different feel to blog, vs. front page etc)
* Search engine optimisation - help with keyword analysis and how that works on the site etc.

Non technical help:
* Modem research (great modem hunt)
* Excel and data analysis
* Help with search engine optimisation keywords?
(trust me - there is a heap of stuff! :-)

If you are keen just message me through the forum or here:
http://www.adslgeek.com/dslforum/index.php?topic=240

I was thinking something like I shout for lunch and beers?

Cheers,
ADSLgeek.

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm keen, but my wifes in a Santa parade, I should really go along and support her, but I'll ping you after and see what time things wrap up :)

adslgeek
02-12-2009, 08:50 AM
OK mate, to be honest I dunno who or if we have others, so we can be flexible anyway..

BTW? Is your wife a pixie or something? ;-)

convair
02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
What website are you refering to?

bob_doe_nz
02-12-2009, 10:46 AM
And why aren't you using Google Wave?
It's time to try a real world scenario. :blush:

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Excellent point :D

convair
02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Is this for the pressf1 forums or something else?

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Nup, adslgeek.com :)

adslgeek
02-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Hey there,

I do have google Wave and we surely can use it, but we are currently use Github.com to track all changes and it has wiki's and issues registers etc. and a big code repository so that seems to be working quite well.

At the moment, the arvo could work for me, if you wanted?

I just thought a face to face can be good to cover stuff off, especially to setup what we wanted to do, and who is happy to help with what stuff, but mainly cause I can get to at least shout for Lunch, so I don't feel like a bludger!

Cheers,
ADSL geek

adslgeek
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey there,

Regarding the tools, it is my goal to have stuff which customers of any forum can help to use. But yeah it was for www.adslgeek.com

CS - I am cool for the Sat arvo if that works better for you? I have got a couple of guys I haven't heard back from so they would likely be flexible anyway..

Regarding Wave - yup I have it, and happy to use it, though we are currently using github.com as it has a wiki, messaging, issues and bug tracking, as well as full incremental change management tools etc..

Cheers,
ADSLgeek.

hueybot3000
02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
What exactly is going to happen? Ive missed something, but i could be keen to skype in

adslgeek
02-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Well basically I have a lot of tasks which I have been working through madly on my own, but I have also had a few offers over the last month of help.

(Chilling Silence was one of the kind people that have offered!)

Basically I want to provide a website which is the complete resource for anyone with a technical DSL problem. And I want it to be very simple for anyone to use.

Since I have had these awesome people volunteer, I thought a catchup meeting to set out planning for what we all would like to see in the resources, how we can work together, and who has what skills and how much time people might have available etc.

I don't want to take advantage in any way, and also a structure so no one feels obligated etc. - this is kind of like an open source model with multiple volunteers, so just want things laid out simply.

If you are keen you are welcome to Skype in (Just got to get audio setup on my linux box) or if you are available, you could post what you would be interested in helping with, (and any areas you think the site could be improved on) and we can type up the discussions etc.

If you are working remotely I can organise a pizza delivered there so you don't miss out on the free lunch! :-)

hueybot3000
03-12-2009, 12:03 AM
It sounds like an interesting project so count me in, il have to figure out skype cos im a bit of a noob with that but cant be too hard.

Not sure how id help but if you wanted someone to tidy the site up or look after bug reports or something id be happy to help

adslgeek
03-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Sounds good - if you are in NZ, I can just call you and put you on speaker phone :-)

Chilling Silence I think is available in the afternoon, so I will confirm the time with him. :-)

Chilling_Silence
04-12-2009, 06:08 AM
I'm pretty sure the wifey has just said she's babysitting some family friends for a few hours. I've not told her yet, but count me in :D

I can certainly vouch for hueybot3000, have dealt with him a bit offline, he's a good straight-up guy, made some nice websites too ;)

People from other forums also joining?

There wireless at your place we can tap into if we bring along a laptop? :thumbs:

adslgeek
04-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Yep - absolutely re: wireless! I did have several other guys keen, but the timing for everyone all on the same day, didn't quite workout all on this weekend..

I will PM you both with my address, and if you could tell me what time works on Sat, so I will know when to be ready. I am happy to pick you up / drop you off also if you need a ride out to the North Shore?

Thanks so much guys, it really means a lot to me that anyone would offer to help out, so I just wanted you to know I appreciate it heaps.

Chilling_Silence
04-12-2009, 07:10 AM
No worries mate :) Happy to help!

Do you have a VPS / dedicated box somewhere, or are we migrating your site to somewhere so you can run your own scripts etc?

Should be an interesting few hours :D

hueybot3000
04-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Afternoon will suit me better cos with any luck il be hungover all morning lol

If you want to ring thatd probaly be easiest

hueybot3000
04-12-2009, 02:37 PM
ADSLGeek Ive sent you a pm with my cell number cos i probaly wont be near a computer until tomorrow so if you could me posted with a time thatd be sweet

adslgeek
04-12-2009, 08:16 PM
The time we are catching up isn't a secret, and anyone else is welcome to come along too!
We start at about 1 pm on Sat, and I will call hueybot3000, chillingsilence is turning up, and eZas from GPforums is making it along too!

wazza and Juha from Geekzone and Ralph from GZ and moderator from ADSLgeek are going to help out, but just not able to help out at that precise time!

Cheers,
ADSLgeek