PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt OS install?

camo
01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi guys,

I've been taking myself into deep water - and now my computer is very, very broken.

I have an Acer desktop, and a few weeks ago, I bought a new 1TB SATA drive, and installed Ubuntu - just to give it a go.

I like Ubuntu, but have decided to go back to using XP as I simply do not have the time to relearn a new OS right now. I have too much to do.

I have used the Acer XP CD's to nuke the system back to factory state. This didn't work - the computer just beeped and kept restarting.

That was probably because the Recovery CD's didn't delete the Ubuntu install? I used a boot disk to reformat the drive, and tried the fresh XP install from the Acer CD's again....

Same thing! The computer beeps and restarts over and over. All I get is the Acer startup screen....then nothing.

Little help? Can I perform a fresh XP install from these CD's without going through the whole Acer system partition thing?

Cheers!

the_bogan
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
It seems like your Acer recovery disks don't like the new drive. Damn, they're fussy like that.

Take the new drive out (I'm assuming you have the original still in there) and see if it reinstalls then. After that, you should be able to add the drive back.

plod
01-12-2009, 08:02 PM
The original acer drive would have had a hidden partition with acer information to be used with the acer recovery disc. This is to tell the disc that it's being installed on a acer