PDA

View Full Version : Sounds

29-07-2001, 01:29 PM
I am the victim I think of young finger dabbling, which has caused a problem with sound. I can play CDs ok, but trying to play a .wav file gives me 'Your sound card may be in use', while Winamp tells me 'MMSYSTEM004 The specified device is already in use. Wait until it is free then try again.'
I have tried 'Removing' devices within Control Panel but no progress. Any suggestions please?

29-07-2001, 04:15 PM
check that noone has set the 'maximum simultaneous wave playback' to 0.

29-07-2001, 07:59 PM
Thanks, but where do I find that?

29-07-2001, 09:28 PM
Hi Dave - A friend had the same problem for some months. Some application was outputting to soundcard, preventing other players from working. I wonder if you have any 'Realplayer/jukebox' programs installed.
A previous owner had installed many 'Real' programs,(realaudioplayer, realjukebox etc) and these were suspect. We uninstalled all these using add/remove in control panel, but the problem continued.
On pc startup, the windows start sound was heard, but then no more sound. It seemed the realplayer was loading at startup. Checking the ctl-alt-del window did not reveal it running, but I suspected that some registry entries may have remained even after the uninstall.
This problem was posted here last week, and the helpful advice received was to get Regcleaner from www.jv16.org

Regcleaner did the trick. It revealed several Real entries remaining in the registry, and startup, with the option to remove them. Problem fixed. More comments on this problem were posted under 'Jukebox' dated 27/7/01