PDA

View Full Version : Windows boots and only displays pointer

gijoel
30-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I shut down my computer after a flash app off a cd stopped responding (I have scanned the cd and it's clean) and I couldn't access task manager to kill it but windows tried to install an update before switching off. 24 hours later it had made no progress so I stupidly pulled the plug and now when windows has loaded it will display only the pointer on a blank screen! Same thing happens in Last Known Good configuration and Safe Mode so I can't access system restore. Besides running a repair install is there anything I can do? I just want to be able to boot so I can run a system restore. http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/help.gif

SYSTEM: HP Brio 410
CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine 800 MHz
RAM: 512 MB
HDD: 50 GB
VIDEO CARD: ATI Rage Pro 128

xyz823
30-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Oops read the whole post. :D

SolMiester
30-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Try control alt delete, and use the run command to start explorer...this is the windows shell which has your desktop.....once you have a desktop, use the restore function

gijoel
30-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Try control alt delete, and use the run command to start explorer...this is the windows shell which has your desktop.....once you have a desktop, use the restore function

I can't even logon. As soon as the windows loading screen disappears the pointer comes up and nothing else. Not even the login screen.

xyz823
30-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I would say a repair install is the way to go then.

SolMiester
30-11-2009, 12:54 PM
You arent getting as far as the login screen then?

Speedy Gonzales
30-11-2009, 01:05 PM
This sound like your prob? (http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-27268-black-screen-with-cursor) you werent using AVG were you?? It could be a virus, or something AVG deleted

Or remove anything USB (thats plugged in), then try again

wainuitech
30-11-2009, 01:33 PM
just want to be able to boot so I can run a system restore. As long as you have the XP CD and are able to boot from it, you can run system restore from the recovery console -- The following is a bit long, but it does work.

Print this off:

How to Run system restore from XP recovery Console :

NOTE: where it says <enter> this means press the Enter key. Where it says Type: type the command that follows.

Note any spaces in the commands, these are VERY important. If a command runs off the page DO NOT press enter to make a new line, just carry on typing.

All commands are in lower Case, some are written in caps,ignore this.

Boot from the Windows CD.
Select R to enter the recovery Console

Follow the prompts through till you end up at the following.
Select 1 ( normally)
When asking for the admin password, Press Enter, as long as it’s not password protected, if it is, then type in the password.

The Command prompt it should look something like C:\WINDOWS>

REMINDER NOTE: between “cd” & “\” there HAS to be a blank space as well as the following commands where entered.

Type: cd \

<enter>

It should now say C:\>

Type: cd system~1\_resto~1

<enter>

If it gives an error “Access Denied” while accessing the folder, do the following:

Type: cd \

<enter>

Type: cd windows\system32\config

<enter>

Type: ren system system.bak

<enter>

Type: exit

<enter>
Now the computer should restart.

Start again and work through till you get to C:\>

Type : cd system~1\_resto~1

<enter>

Type: dir

<enter>

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like “rp1”, “rp2”

Type: cd rp

(With the second to the last restore point number) Eg: let’s say you have rp1, rp2, rp3 – rp8,rp9 select rp8 Example: cd rp8

<enter>

Type: cd snapshot

<enter>

Now the command Prompt will look like this

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp8\snapshot

NOTE (next command) space single between E \windows and copy _R

Type: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE \windows\system32\config\software

<Enter>

Press Y to over write.

Type: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM \windows\system32\config\system.

<Enter>

Press Y to over write.

Type: Exit <Enter>

The PC will reboot and hopefully it will start up to the restore point you selected.

Agent_24
30-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Is the CD still in the drive?

When you get to the blank screen with just the mouse cursor, try taking the CD out.

gijoel
30-11-2009, 07:25 PM
The PC will reboot and hopefully it will start up to the restore point you selected.

Tried that and it restored but Windows is still not booting properly. Might just have to do a repair install. http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/frown.gif

gijoel
30-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Is the CD still in the drive?

When you get to the blank screen with just the mouse cursor, try taking the CD out.

No the CD is already out. The problem seems to be with the update not installing properly when I pulled the plug.

wainuitech
30-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Try something - its along shot but takes a couple of minutes -- Disconnect ALL non required hardware - External drives, Router/Modem, printers - only have connected Keyboard, Mouse Monitor - see if it boots -- I vaguely remember a Customers PC a few years back do the same , in the end ( from memory) it was the printer trying to load the drivers that was stopping it from booting.

Also try booting from the CD again into the recovery console, at the promp C:\windows> type in fixmbr <enter>

Then fixboot ,enter>

Then exit and reboot.