PDA

View Full Version : Attn adslgeek - Speeds

DeSade
30-11-2009, 12:33 AM
You seem to be in the know, can you tell me why some Big-time users are getting a faster service than my $80 40gb capped Pro plan?

It looks to me like I am getting the short end of the stick here.

Chilling_Silence
30-11-2009, 05:38 AM
What kind of speeds? Their sync speeds? Total throughput?

psycik
30-11-2009, 08:23 AM
And you're not just running a speed test and going "OMG leik my intawebz r rilly slow!!"

As speedtests are influenced by so many factors it's not funny. Real world results (download manager based http/https downloads are the true measure).

On my old TCL plan I was able to top out at about 1200kb/s with a download manager, but if I just used IE then the speed would max out at about 400kb/s so it's the multiple connections that makes it all happen.

DeSade
30-11-2009, 08:39 AM
And you're not just running a speed test and going "OMG leik my intawebz r rilly slow!!"

As speedtests are influenced by so many factors it's not funny. Real world results (download manager based http/https downloads are the true measure).

On my old TCL plan I was able to top out at about 1200kb/s with a download manager, but if I just used IE then the speed would max out at about 400kb/s so it's the multiple connections that makes it all happen.

One
please do not speak to me like I am a idiot.

Two
I have been following all these speed threads and reading most of what Chill and others have posted on this topic, I am not an idiot and judging to the best of my ability I am fairly sure that my speeds are lower than the big-time plan over all based on the speed test thread on this forum.

psycik
30-11-2009, 08:57 AM
One
please do not speak to me like I am a idiot.

Two
I have been following all these speed threads and reading most of what Chill and others have posted on this topic, I am not an idiot and judging to the best of my ability I am fairly sure that my speeds are lower than the big-time plan over all based on the speed test thread on this forum.

Sorry wasn't meant to be a dig at you personally, but over here and Geekzone you see so many people complaining about speeds based entirely off speed tests. And with no further details in your post it was an assumption.

You would also note that people on big time are complaining left right and center about their speeds. From dialup all the way to 10mbit/s+. It's all a matter of wiring/local traffic/modem.

Also you didn't post any details, modem, sync speeds, throughput observed, speed test results, signal strength, devices connected at home, filters used/splitter installed, age of cabling, distance to exchange, distance to cabinet etc, so forgive me if I assumed you were like the multitudes complaining. There are so many factors that set speed.

Battleneter2
30-11-2009, 09:00 AM

+1 For speedtest.net not being accurate, its single source only. Its effected by load, time of day and and hops being slow. May as well use a random number generator!.

Hopefully we will stop seeing PCWorld and alike articles using Speedtest.net to test providers, but im not holding my breath lol.

pctek
30-11-2009, 09:09 AM
over here and Geekzone you see so many people complaining about speeds based entirely off speed tests.

If I got, when downloading, what my speed tests report, then I'd be a lot happier.

nofam
30-11-2009, 09:13 AM
My Telecom ADSL2 plan (Adventure) has been going like a sack of sh*t for the last week or so; I live barely a kilometre from my local exchange, and was regularly getting 12mbps downloads on Speedtest. Now I'm getting around 3, and more crucially, Youtube won't stream and even Facebook doesn't load pages correctly. :badpc:

psycik
30-11-2009, 09:50 AM
If I got, when downloading, what my speed tests report, then I'd be a lot happier.

Oh weird, I've always found it to be the other way around. Speed test being garbage (it's only one connection) and real world much higher as I never use just the one connection.

Agent_24
30-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Speedtest for me is accurate. I get the same results on Speedtest as I would downloading an Ubuntu ISO from 10 mirrors with GetRight.

DeSade
30-11-2009, 11:25 AM
There is no information as I am really not sure where to start with this issue, which is why I tried addressing it to the Telecom/Xtra (I think) dude.

My speed tests are fine and even my quality tests seem fine but I do NOT get those speeds when I am actually using the connection, so again I am at a loss where to start with this.

PS - Psycik, this is not Geekzone and assumptions like that tend to piss people off.

Chilling_Silence
30-11-2009, 11:32 AM
DeSade,

Can you go to speedtest.net and pingtest.net and post your direct results for both of them (The little picture please).

Also, go into your ADSL Modem / Router and post your line sync speeds.

Also the make and model of your router too. Thanks

PS - The Telecom helpdesk monkeys are morons and should not be used for tech advice. I'm yet to speak with one who knows half as much as they should for working in a Helpdesk. "What do you mean Packet Loss or Jitter? Are you having disconnection troubles? No? Well gee I'm not sure what to do, that's not on my script, I'm just going to hang up on you..."

DeSade
30-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Will do when I get home Chill, at work right now.
The type is that one you suggested thou.

Chilling_Silence
30-11-2009, 05:10 PM
What one did I suggest?

DeSade
30-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Not sure details at home, your favorite one I think seen it recommended in a dozen posts.

Chilling_Silence
30-11-2009, 05:49 PM
NetComm NB6Plus4Wn?

DeSade
30-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes thats the beastie.
But I just realized that I have not actually started using it, its still in the box hehe.
I thought I set it up ages ago. I'm losing my mind.....

So I am going to set up this new router and then see if that makes any difference, will get back to this thread in a few days.

Chilling_Silence
30-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Go on, you know you wanna set it up tonight ;)

So what're you *currently* using?

Look up the ADSL Sync speeds in your routers line status page and compare that to the new router, I'd be interested to hear how you go!

DeSade
30-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Current one is a DSE XH1169

Not sure if I found the right page but the info is in the pic

adslgeek
30-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Nice work.

For speed issues, I agree with the content of what was asked by others in the forum, (eg needs different variables) but might agree a slightly kinder tone might have been fair. :-)

As people pointed out this is pressf1, and from what I can tell ChillingSilence tends to keep thing moderated, and quite civil in here. :)

For simplicity I have been working on my beta of a speed, stability DSL troubleshooter. I am to be honest really unhappy with this first attempt, and I will get an update together as soon as I complete some of the more urgent design parts for my site. That said when I just checked it, I realised a whole track of code logic is getting bypassed!

www.adslgeek.com/troubleshooter

That said, I have had people report back that it has given better results than the helpdesk they called. :-)

If anyone is great with PHP and wouldn't mind helping out, I would really appreciate it!

Speed covers all the following items: (covering all factors from PC, internet settings like MTU, etc, software, modem, modem firmware, quality of cable, distance from exchange, type of DSLAM, type of modulation able to be negotiated (eg ADSL1, 2, READSL, 2+ or even if you are lucky enough VDSL), then there is backhaul from the DSLAM, backhaul from the RAN, the size of the link from Telecom to ISP, The contention rate of those customers (eg if all of them use heaps then that overloads the link between ISP to Telecom), then you have the ISP themselves, routing in their core, then their upstream links, then the site you are visiting and then there is the return path from that site, which can just go anywhere!

:-)

Based on your SNMR it is 12 which all on Telecom NZ should be
29 days uptime is great!
Line attenuation at 33db on the return, that means you are in very rough terms about

2 km - 3.5km and below is good

6015kbps to me is good enough - but certainly if you change out the modem you may well see an improvement.

You can check here if your area is able to receive adsl2+
www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps

DeSade
30-11-2009, 10:55 PM
29 days is just the last time I rebooted the entire system, actual uptime is a lot more than that.

ADSL2+ is available that is the main reason I brought the new NetComm.

Thanks for your reply, your test site looks promising and I made further comment in answer to you PM.