PDA

View Full Version : DVD Writer Suggestions

Grimy
26-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi, I'm after a SATA DVD burner. Needs to have a black front. Lightscribe as a bonus.
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=8893
How's this one? Or is there something better at a similar price?
Thanks.

wainuitech
26-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Been using Asus or Lite-on for a while now in builds, seem to be OK.

Only LG's I had were in some workshop PC's - had a few problems with two of them after about 6 months.

Agent_24
26-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I have an Asus DVD drive, it's actually a Pioneer. I don't know if all the Asus drives are though.

I also like Lite-on too.

Wouldn't get a Samsung, I have seen several randomly die

No idea about the rest. Sony is probably OK though.

PaulD
27-11-2009, 07:00 AM
I have an Asus DVD drive, it's actually a Pioneer. I don't know if all the Asus drives are though.

I also like Lite-on too.

Good as that's what newer Asus are based on.

Zippity
27-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Liteon all the way :)

Agent_24
27-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Asus it seems have never made any optical drives, they just rebrand others.

Grimy
28-11-2009, 03:43 PM
My present PC has a Pioneer DVD ROM and a no-name (unkown) DVD writer. Not had any problem with either.
I've bought an HP DVD 1070i writer today. Seems to have everything I was looking for, and the HP I use at work is going strong after several years.
In my present/past PCs I've always had two drives, one a reader and the other a writer so I can just copy discs from one to the other without saving to the HD first. Readers are so cheap, and it seems such a waste to have all those empty bays!
Is this what others do? I haven't looked at a second drive yet for my new PC.

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Nope, I use one dvd burner. I just keep what I need on a spare partition, and burn whatever, if I have / need to

linw
28-11-2009, 04:28 PM
I'd avoid LG as some have 'Bluebird' software hard coded into them. I didn't know about it till too late but I do have a fix for it which I hope doesn't brick the drive!

Grimy
28-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Yes, I'd heard about the Bluebird issue. I read somewhere there was a fix for it. Did put me off a bit.

Agent_24
28-11-2009, 05:48 PM
So they come with Nissan potato chips inbuilt?

Edit: OK so I just googled that..

"They now have AD-Ware built into the firmware. LG drives now come with
a ad ware type program called "bluebird" built into the firmware that
creates a virtual drive that auto installs a burning program to your
PC and directs your browser to the LG webpage. "

WHAT. THE. ****.

WHY?

Well it looks like LG at least realised that's probably one of the stupidest things ever invented: you can get a new firmware which removes it here http://www.lge.com/us/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=GH22NS50#