PDA

View Full Version : best anti virus

petemit
26-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi I have norton internet security version 16 7 2 11 and its up for renewal

It seems to use a lot of sytem resourse so wondered if there is another antivirus that works as well (or better) and doesnt need all these system resources (i guess cheaper could be good too but not a bigie)

any ideas would be appreciated
thanks
peter

the_bogan
26-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials?

ronyville
26-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials?

X2.. at the moment i am using avast.. but MSE is pretty good.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Take your pick, AVG, Avast, MSE, NOD32 (if you want to pay for it)

wainuitech
26-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Free = Microsoft Security Essentials

Paid ( and better) Nod32.

Stay away from AVG and avast - both lately are failing big time.

This week alone I have had three customers PC's with upto date Avast BADLY infected with viruses and spyware. Avast said one of the PC's had 4 infections, Nod32 when scanned found 552.

AVG has become a complete system hog and is hopeless, removed it today from a persons PC, boot times changed from 7 minutes with AVG to 2 minutes with Microsoft Security Essentials - and found plenty of infections.

petemit
26-11-2009, 06:01 PM
hi thanks for your replys is nod 32 better than norton and cheaper and does it use less resources
where would you rate trend anti virus
thanks

ronyville
26-11-2009, 06:10 PM
thanks

I would stay away from Trend Micro. If you are willing to pay than NOD32 is the way to go as wainuitech suggested.

davidmmac
26-11-2009, 06:12 PM

At the very bottom of the scale, don't touch it :groan:.

Sweep
26-11-2009, 06:18 PM
If you happen to have WinXP 64 bit you can't run MSE.

Vista and Win 7 64 bit versions exist.

If you want to pay then Nod would be the best bet.

petemit
26-11-2009, 06:34 PM
thanks i have xp profesional igb ram in a laptop

gary67
26-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Definitely NOD 32 is the best and MSE is not that far behind and its free. I wouldn't use anything else

Chris09
26-11-2009, 06:51 PM
NOD32 - Best Purchased Product

AntiVira/MSE - AntiVira appears to have better protection over all the freebees, but has a difficult interface for the novice user. MSE is your best bet as recommended by others.

pctek
26-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi I have norton internet security version 16 7 2 11 and its up for renewal

That rates if not at the very bottom, then pretty near.

NOD32 is tops.

Driftwood
27-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I hope you guys are right about MSE, I have just installed it on one of my systems to replace Avast. I had been quite happy with Avast & it had warned me on several ocations when some nasty was trying to invade.
The first thing I have noticed, it re-enabled windows auto updates which I had set to custom. Big Brother knows best.

Speedy Gonzales
27-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Auto updates is still on the same setting I left it on. MSE didnt change it on any of the 3 PC's here. I just disabled the Spynet option in the registry

Driftwood
27-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I wonder why it decided to change my settings then.
I allowed the updates to go ahead anyway, I hadn't done any for a while.
Regarding the spynet, dosent big brother mind that being turned off?

Speedy Gonzales
27-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Regarding the spynet, dosent big brother mind that being turned off?

Too bad it it does it still works :p

pctek
27-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I hope you guys are right about MSE, I have just installed it on one of my systems to replace Avast..

Wainuitechs test a while ago showed MSSE finding 31 viruses. NOD32 found 48.
It makes it better than Avast but I'd still be using NOD32.

Gobe1
27-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I am testing Nod32 and Mcfee at the moment for work and either have good and bad for us so far.
Nod32: scanning is fast, not compatible withour email server (scalix) To scan one file is amazingly quick
Mcafee: scanning adjustable which is a great feature (set on 10% and took 2 hours to scan complete which would take AVG the same time but use 100%), takes 30 seconds to scan 1 file!!! wtf. Picked up a trojan Nod missed....

I wanted to go with Nod, but due to the incompatibility with our email server it is too much risk. Will probably go with Avast pro as have used that heaps over the last year and has proven to be good

wainuitech
27-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Wainuitechs test a while ago showed MSSE finding 31 viruses. NOD32 found 48.
It makes it better than Avast but I'd still be using NOD32. Yep - Avast has gone down the loo and around the bend :lol:

Got a customers PC here - just finished reinstalling the OS/ Programs etc.

It had AVAST and got a virut virus from some torrent / pirated movie they had downloaded, avast never picked it up in the torrent file and was only excuted when the torrent/zipped file was extracted.
Heres what it does - its a mean sucker
Virut spreads through every .exe and .scr file on a computer. It's polymorphic, which means it spreads faster than any antivirus can contain it. 99.99% of the time the only solution is a reformat and reinstall. Virut is so aggressive it even infects already infected files with itself. It's a computer killer... Interestingly - MSSE did stop it in its tracks.

I cloned the drive twice - just to make sure I didn't lose anything as there is a LOT of family photos they wanted - Did a scan with MSSE with the drive slaved - its completely unbootable -- Results from quick scan - mainly for this post (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture_MSSE.PNG) as a "look See" - The original drive I slaved to a Linux PC as I didn't want it infected, and lifted the photos and other documents off that way to a removable drive, since this virus wont touch Linux ( I hope) --- This is one time I actually liked using linux :p Now I'll rescan the files with Nod in windows.

So Avast = Raaasssppppppppp

Driftwood
27-11-2009, 04:18 PM
If MSSE had been installed, do you think it would have stopped that virus from entering the system or just picked it up on a scan.

Agent_24
27-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Why is nobody mentioning Comodo?

wainuitech
27-11-2009, 08:11 PM
If MSSE had been installed, do you think it would have stopped that virus from entering the system or just picked it up on a scan. Thats impossible to answer - Us techs may do some good things sometimes and guess what a person is trying to explain ( or not) but fortune tellers --- narrrrrrr :p

Bit like saying If a person had gotten the right numbers in Lotto - would they have won on their own that night. :D

Why is nobody mentioning Comodo? Personally Last time I tried the comodo AV it was in the same league as AVG - not that sh1t hot. When in business - you stick with software that you know works.

IF I get the time, I still have a test infected drive that I did the Nod V MSSE testing, I'll clone it and try comodo AV and see.

Agent_24
27-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Personally Last time I tried the comodo AV it was in the same league as AVG - not that sh1t hot. When in business - you stick with software that you know works.

I don't know when you last tried it but the latest one is pretty good. Back when it was v2.0 (beta) it was really bad.

It seems pretty good now, though. And if you are also using the Defense+ engine you are pretty much covered anyway.

The great thing about Defense+ (when configured properly) is that even if the AV doesn't detect a virus, you'll be alerted that some random program is trying to run and\or do something strange.

(arguably a lot of users would have no idea how to deal with this kind of popup, but for people like me it's great)