PDA

View Full Version : Block torrent programs

nedkelly
24-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey my mate's family is about to get a larger data cap for their internet plan but they want to block their son from downloading any torrents. How would this be done to block every torrent program with different ports?

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Simple, dont let him on it. Or give him a limited account. Or block torrent sites in the router

bob_doe_nz
24-11-2009, 10:28 PM
You could modify the router to block all but the basic ports 80 and 443.
As well as keyword blocks for Bittorrent keywords.

nedkelly
24-11-2009, 10:37 PM
@Speedy: He needs an admin account because of a game he plays. Also question: How many torrent sites are there in the world?

@bob_doe_nz: He uses a lot of different programs that have different ports and update programs. And again there would be so many keywords to enter it would take ages.

bob_doe_nz
24-11-2009, 11:10 PM
@Speedy: He needs an admin account because of a game he plays. Also question: How many torrent sites are there in the world?Lots!

@bob_doe_nz: He uses a lot of different programs that have different ports and update programs. And again there would be so many keywords to enter it would take ages.

Bummer. I'm running Tomato firmware on an Asus WL-520GU and that seems to work at blocking most of the Bittorrent traffic.

You could also try and look at the programs he uses and find out what ports he uses on the net.

Agent_24
24-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Easiest way might be to get the ISP to block it (if they can)

But really the only way to block it 100% will be to run the connection through a firewall which can detect traffic types and only allow things like HTTP etc, or just slow everything else down incredibly. Of course if he used encryption you'd have to generally just block encrypted traffic as well which would put anything else that uses encryption out of the question...

nate
24-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Simple, dont let him on it.

Agreed. Your mate probably doesn't have an advanced router that will block what you need to.

Maybe suggest moving the family computer into a busier area (ie the lounge) so an eye can be kept on what the kid gets up to.

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Or up the QOS on it. to 100% :p If it works, he'll be crawling. If the family are concerned about it, do something about it. Or tell him to save and buy his own. If he cant be trusted

nmercer
25-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Hey my mate's family is about to get a larger data cap for their internet plan but they want to block their son from downloading any torrents. How would this be done to block every torrent program with different ports?

there are seldom technical solutions for people problems

You can try to block, but there are so many ways around the blocks that is basically an arms race

You are much better off getting the parent to clip the kid around the ears or ground them or whatever is PC acceptable these days if he torrents

Chris09
25-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Or, perhaps allowing him to install games under Admin, and then once he has finished, no more programs or any installing of any kind on his limited account?

Or, get a keylogger and see what programs he uses. Then 'clip the kid around the ears or ground them, or whatever is PC acceptable these days if he torrents'

nedkelly
25-11-2009, 07:13 AM
like your suggestion chris but his games need admin rights to run.

wainuitech
25-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Install K9websecurity (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/) - its free, and under the settings it has the ability to block p2p and many other programs / sites. If you click on "about" on their site, it gives a small example of the settings. Its password protected and you can bypass the block by entering the password - as long as he doesn't know the password its fine.

Its not easy to bypass, and you cant uninstall it easy without the password, or stop it from running.

Its best to use a different email address other than your normal one, as you can request a temp password, and when its sent to the normal email the password can be disabled if he opens that email.

Agent_24
25-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Install K9websecurity (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/) - its free, and under the settings it has the ability to block p2p and many other programs / sites. If you click on "about" on their site, it gives a small example of the settings. Its password protected and you can bypass the block by entering the password - as long as he doesn't know the password its fine.

Can it block encrypted bittorrent or other obfuscated P2P?

Battleneter2
25-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Id say the solution is non-IT related, Tell the son not to and kick his ass if he does.

wainuitech
25-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Can it block encrypted bittorrent or other obfuscated P2P? Cant honestly answer that as I have never had to try - BUT you can block the actual programs that are needed to download the torrents. There are many options that allow you to block or allow certain functions - easiest way - install it and find out - its free.

As mentioned before though get a different email address. The last time I put this on a customers PC to block P2P programs since the persons son wouldn't listen - later that night, around 10pm I got a request for the temp password.

I get the free license key sent to my Email for this reason, so if its needed the people call me (as I suggest) I rang the mother the following morning, and it wasn't the parents wanting the password as they knew what it was -- The son requested a password to bypass the block and from what I gather got a good telling off instead :rolleyes:

nedkelly
25-11-2009, 12:02 PM
yeah he has k9 installed but it had to customised cause it was blocking him from playing an online MMORGP game.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Nice wainuitech :D

Speedy, the likes of utorrent can be run without installation as far as I'm aware, just a standalone .exe file, so restricting user accounts doesn't really work...

Then there's the whole issue of downloading from places like Rapidshare, Hotfile or Storage.to for example, how do you stop a kid from finding warez from sites like that?

End of the day they can either do as nate / nmercer have mentioned and beat the child for not listening (Im not serious about an actual beating, but it sounds cooler), or put the PC in a public place (Not relevant at 10PM when the olds have gone to bed), but again it's a toughy ...

You can use the likes of K9 to block the source sites that the kids gonna be getting the .torrents from, or using OpenDNS to block those sites too:
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/22/speed-up-your-internet-with-opendns/

End of the day though, no matter how hard the parents try, if the kids gonna be disobedient and do it anyways, if the kids got enough smarts then the torrents will continue ... Perhaps a firewall blocking gaming etc also, until the child is proven responsible enough?

asdex
25-11-2009, 12:13 PM
You could create a guest account which he can only use then he can't install torrent software or install the free k9 web protection to block sites and activity.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes but you can still run stuff such as utorrent which doesn't require installation.