PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion for CMS

Morgenmuffel
24-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi all

I have been asked to do a site for an npo (non profit organisation), they have a site done in frontpage, (I know nothing about frontpage).

The current site has several pages one that has downloads and thats about it

What they want is a site that has the above, plus a members area, with a blog (or possibly a forum I'm not sure if he knows the difference or just page people can comment on), and the site to be quick loading as a number of members are on dial up

There hosting is on a windows server and apparently allows them to have a database and php is available, so i was thinking something like Joomla, as i made a few sites with it 3 or 4 years ago

Bu I wondered if anyone else had made a similar site and what they had used

Morgenmuffel
24-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Ok I take that, apparently openhosts windows hosting doesn't support php, might have to get them to switch to linux hosting

Morgenmuffel
24-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Alternatively is there a way to make a members only area in frontpage

hueybot3000
24-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Id go with Joomla, theres a plugin for just about everything and if you cant find one its simple enough to hack something in.

You should probaly try posting these sorta topic on webmasters type forums, your bound to get more help.

What is the members only area for? For forum Id suggest MyBB, I use it a bit and its pretty easy to get to grips with the format so editing it is more time consuming than difficult

nmercer
25-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Ok I take that, apparently openhosts windows hosting doesn't support php, might have to get them to switch to linux hosting

Interesting, because PHP runs on Windows well, very well in fact
I wonder why Openhosts don't allow

Cato
25-11-2009, 07:13 AM
DotNetNuke? (http://www.dotnetnuke.com/)

somebody
25-11-2009, 07:37 AM
I run several websites for non-profit organisations and a charity using Wordpress as the CMS, with Gallery2 integrated for a photo gallery. I found that systems like Joomla are just too complex for non-computer-literate people to use, while Wordpress's interface is nice and simple, and lets them do precisely what they need: create/edit pages, create/edit news items (i.e blog post).

Renmoo
25-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm using Joomla at the moment and I agree that it is relatively complex.

Wordpress is definitely much more simplified :thumbs:

Morgenmuffel
25-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah wordpress was my second option, I have played with it a little, but am I able to make a members only area?

somebody
25-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah wordpress was my second option, I have played with it a little, but am I able to make a members only area?

You can probably do it using a plugin like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-access-manager/ - since Wordpress is so widely used, there are plugins for just about everything.

kahawai chaser
25-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I made a site with front page (now replaced with Expression Web), and the host needs server extensions to support some of it's features, which can become corrupt. Often had to reset from the cpanel/dashboard extensions after certain html modifications. Also FP coding is a bit cumbersome sometimes. As noted above, Wordpress would be suitable, as can be adapted with it's many plugins and help support sites.