PDA

View Full Version : Intel 6 core Gulftown engineer sample review LGA1366

Battleneter2
24-11-2009, 12:05 PM
This is prob the first real Gulftown review.
http://pclab.pl/art39718.html

Realistically for Server and Workstations, with next to no benefit for home users/gamers at least for a few years, unless you do a lot of video encoding etc.

SolMiester
24-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I have a DL380 G5 w/ 2 x Xeon QC E5345 & 24Gb on RAM as 1 of my ESX4.0 hosts. It has File Server, 3 x SQL servers, Terminal Server, Virtual Center server 2 x Print Servers and a Utility server.
Out of a possible 8 x 2.33Ghz, its currently using about 3.5ghz......Gulftown, as you say will only be viable for encoding, CAD or rendering.....oh, and benchmarking of course!....LOL

Gobe1
24-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately Cad doesnt now, and probably never will use multicore processing. Solidworks is very poor in this area, autocad is better but not great.
A core 2 duo 3.0 Ghz will out perform a i7 2.66 anyday on Solidworks

SolMiester
24-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Unfortunately Cad doesnt now, and probably never will use multicore processing. Solidworks is very poor in this area, autocad is better but not great.
A core 2 duo 3.0 Ghz will out perform a i7 2.66 anyday on Solidworks

err, no it wont, as an i5\i7 with only 1 or 2 core in use will step up at least 2 bins and clock for clock Lynnfield\Nehalem is faster than Penryn.

Battleneter2
24-11-2009, 03:57 PM
I have a DL380 G5 w/ 2 x Xeon QC E5345 & 24Gb on RAM as 1 of my ESX4.0 hosts. It has File Server, 3 x SQL servers, Terminal Server, Virtual Center server 2 x Print Servers and a Utility server.
Out of a possible 8 x 2.33Ghz, its currently using about 3.5ghz......Gulftown, as you say will only be viable for encoding, CAD or rendering.....oh, and benchmarking of course!....LOL

Gulftown is the start of the mainstream 6core market as its runs on the mainstream enthusiast 1366 platform. Its market is not "Large" servers, I think your getting a little confused there, its workstation and small server.

Sure Gulftown has limited uses atm, but so did quads upon launch. 3 years on from the Intel quad launch, I dont think you will find to many mainstream enthusiasts stating quad cores are worthless lol.

SolMiester
24-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Gulftown is the start of the mainstream 6core market as its runs on the mainstream enthusiast 1366 platform. Its market is not "Large" servers, I think your getting a little confused there, its workstation and small server.

Sure Gulftown has limited uses atm, but so did quads upon launch. 3 years on from the Intel quad launch, I dont think you will find to many mainstream enthusiasts stating quad cores are worthless lol.

Gulftown is the family name as Bloomfield was to Lynnfield\Nehalem...so I'm not getting confused mate! There is no CPU release name yet, one will be for desktop, another for servers!...what are small servers anyway?...where do you think the current Xeon CPU's came from?...Bloomfield!

Battleneter2
24-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Gulftown is the family name as Bloomfield was to Lynnfield\Nehalem...so I'm not getting confused mate! There is no CPU release name yet, one will be for desktop, another for servers!...what are small servers anyway?...where do you think the current Xeon CPU's came from?...Bloomfield!

Oh........ so if you didnt confuse it for a Server Processor why did you post all that guff about your Xeon?, Desktop and server processors are entirely different markets.

SolMiester
24-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Oh........ so if you didnt confuse it for a Server Processor why did you post all that guff about your Xeon?, Desktop and server processors are entirely different markets.

Actually, I have that wrong...sorry, Westmere is the family name, Gulftown is the platform, however the point was, we are at architecture saturation already..I only have 2 x 4 cpu, which even at 24 vCPU, the server isnt utilitise...the bottleneck is Memory & I/O subsystem....The server version of Westmere will hardly be used IMO....

Battleneter2
24-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Actually, I have that wrong...sorry, Westmere is the family name, Gulftown is the platform, however the point was, we are at architecture saturation already..I only have 2 x 4 cpu, which even at 24 vCPU, the server isnt utilitise...the bottleneck is Memory & I/O subsystem....The server version of Westmere will hardly be used IMO....

lol ok great, when I start a thread about a new server processor ill be sure to paste that in ;)