PDA

View Full Version : TigerDirect now operating inside NZ

Battleneter2
23-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Seems the well known US E-tailer TigerDirect is operating inside NZ now or so it appears?, or at least some sort of franchise version or maybe stolen name. Anybody know anything about the NZ operation?

http://www.tigerdirect.co.nz/

Site looks clean up to date and a ton of product at competitive prices.

As the logo's differs from the US version it is a little sus however.

kahawai chaser
23-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I remember them from a few years ago, where I think they also have refurbished products. Maybe a IP tool can find where the NZ site is hosted and if it is valid?

GameJunkie
23-11-2009, 11:46 AM
found this (http://whois.domaintools.com/tigerdirect.co.nz)

wallarro
23-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Just had a live chat with a sales person from Tigerdirect.com. He said the site is not affiliated with them so I guess it's not legit?

robsonde
23-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Terms and Conditions scare me a bit...

Prices may be altered without notice; Tigerdirect reserves the rights to alter its prices at any time and to pass on any cost increases outside its control including exchange fluctuations which arise between date of acceptance of order and date of delivery.

You are responsible for insurance and risk in the Products from the earlier of the time they are received by a carrier for delivery to you or the time they are collected by you or your agent.

qazwsxokmijn
23-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Don't like the looks of it one bit TBH.

DeSade
23-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Those T&C don't sound exactly legal to me in terms of the CGA.

Battleneter2
23-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Yea the terms look a bit out, but actually many sites have similar terms that really need a reality check in relation to the CGA.

What they are really trying to defend against is, if you buy say a processor for $500 and its not in stock, comes in a week later after a exchange rate drop, they can now ask $520 but of course you don't have to accept it.

Just had a live chat with a sales person from Tigerdirect.com. He said the site is not affiliated with them so I guess it's not legit?

Ah ok good to know, I think its prob legit to buy from, but not sure if TigerDirect in the US would be thrilled, its clearly a play on there name esp as they are in exactly the same business.

nmercer
23-11-2009, 04:49 PM
when I see, multiple spelling mistakes and other typos on websites purporting to be reliable, legitimate businesses, I tend to be worried about the risk and shy away…

robbyp
23-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Yea the terms look a bit out, but actually many sites have similar terms that really need a reality check in relation to the CGA.

What they are really trying to defend against is, if you buy say a processor for $500 and its not in stock, comes in a week later after a exchange rate drop, they can now ask $520 but of course you don't have to accept it.

Ah ok good to know, I think its prob legit to buy from, but not sure if TigerDirect in the US would be thrilled, its clearly a play on there name esp as they are in exactly the same business.

I don't know, I think they could call themselves that, because both Tiger and Direct are generic types of words, and they could call themselves TigerDirect ltd. They are also operating in different countries and totally different markets, even though they do both sell computer stuff. It would be different if the US operator was operating here, then they could definately ask them to cease trading under that name.

robbyp
23-11-2009, 05:20 PM
when I see, multiple spelling mistakes and other typos on websites purporting to be reliable, legitimate businesses, I tend to be worried about the risk and shy away…

Reminds me of that C1 shopping mall, that left all those people out of pocket?

PaulD
23-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Any site quoting ex-GST prices needs care. By the time you add GST and freight there's nothing Tiger or Direct left.

Morgenmuffel
23-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Reminds me of that C1 shopping mall, that left all those people out of pocket?

eh, I always had good service from them, what did they do

PaulD
23-11-2009, 07:20 PM
eh, I always had good service from them, what did they do

Went into liquidation in March or April this year.

robbyp
23-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Any site quoting ex-GST prices needs care. By the time you add GST and freight there's nothing Tiger or Direct left.

Its common place to do that, as it is mainly businesses that purchase PCs. Just as long as they clearly state that prices exclude GST, not just a small disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

Netsukeninja
23-11-2009, 08:16 PM
I emailed them about whether they are affiliated with TigerDirectUSA.

Hi XXXXXX

We are NZ company and based in Auckland. we are different with the USA
company.

Kind regards

Justin

TigerDirect Sales team

I still find it iffy that they would use the TigerDirect name just to get customers.

Sweep
23-11-2009, 08:25 PM
And also easy to detect that English is not the first language.

Opinion only but based on the site and the email quoted.

"TigerDirect is a computer & electronic online super store based in Auckland. We do not have a physical retail shop or a showroom, but we can be easily reached by phone, fax and email. Our service teams always ready to help when you need us."

No physical address which gives me more cause for concern.

I think I will stay with Ascent and PBTech.

robbyp
23-11-2009, 09:09 PM
And also easy to detect that English is not the first language.

Opinion only but based on the site and the email quoted.

"TigerDirect is a computer & electronic online super store based in Auckland. We do not have a physical retail shop or a showroom, but we can be easily reached by phone, fax and email. Our service teams always ready to help when you need us."

No physical address which gives me more cause for concern.

I think I will stay with Ascent and PBTech.

I don't think not having an address is an issue, because you usually get the item sent to you from the supplier directly. The same with Ascent, they do have an office which you can go to, but they don't actually keep a stock there.

Sweep
23-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't think not having an address is an issue, because you usually get the item sent to you from the supplier directly. The same with Ascent, they do have an office which you can go to, but they don't actually keep a stock there.

But tiger direct do not have an office and I also add that Ascent have been around for some time now whereas I can't say the same for the other people.

Easy to physically unplug phones and faxes and disconnect the service. For that matter you can just move out of a physical address as well.

What say you just go buy something and report back when you get the item and or the reaction about an RMA etc.

They are not getting my money anyway but you can do what you want and be happy or not as the case may be.

PaulD
23-11-2009, 09:55 PM

Or as in the case of an online dealer operating in Newtown, Wgtn a while back all orders were consolidated by him and ordered overseas. Towards the end he was just taking the money and not ordering. The first proof that things were going bad was when he abandoned his office.

You are doing a lot of justifying on their behalf :illogical

nmercer
23-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Or as in the case of an online dealer operating in Newtown, Wgtn a while back all orders were consolidated by him and ordered overseas. Towards the end he was just taking the money and not ordering. The first proof that things were going bad was when he abandoned his office.

You are doing a lot of justifying on their behalf :illogical

a fool and his money are soon parted?

who buys PC gear off a guy in the suburbs, pays in advance for the goods and waits for them to arrive from him?

robbyp
23-11-2009, 11:37 PM
a fool and his money are soon parted?

who buys PC gear off a guy in the suburbs, pays in advance for the goods and waits for them to arrive from him?

Perhaps the same people who purchased from C1 Shopping mall or invested in Finance Companies. There are a lot of people in NZ that rip others off.
I would recommend everyone purchasing computer gear, purchase using a credit card, becuase you can easily issue a chargeback if something goes wrong.

Grimy
28-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
In the interests of facts over a lot of waffle in this thread I decided to be the guinea pig and buy something from Tiger Direct (it of course had nothing to do with the price of the item I was after being really good.....).
I placed my order (their ordering system is no different to anyone elses), and within a few minutes got an email saying what I wanted was in stock and confirming the web site price. A little while later I received a second email giving me their bank account details for making payment to.
A couple of days later a third email came to say that payment had been recieved (it was over last weekend, which slowed things down a bit).
A fourth to say my order had been processed and then a fifth to say it had been dispatched, along with the NZ Couriers tracking number.
The only slip up was that the goods were sent to my home (billing) address instead of the shipping address I had provided. Not a biggie, it just meant that an overnight delivery became a couple of days (as NZC don't do a run out my home area every day).
The part was new-sealed and packed really well.
I have also in the last couple of weeks bought stuff from Computer Lounge (excellent, fast service, well packed) and Ascent (took about the same length of time as TD, as it was delivered to my home-my choice that time. Packaging I felt could have been a bit more substantial for a hard drive).
I'm not endorsing Tiger Direct here, just telling what my experience was. I'm happy with my purchase.
Don't know what their after sales service is like-hope to never have to find out!
Just because a dealer's first language is obviously not English is not a reason to publicly give them a hard time in my opinion. I'd never heard of Tiger Direct dot com, so the apparent/perceived connection was not an issue for me.
Who knows-they may go the way of C1 (I used to buy a bit of stuff from them, and luckily didn't get caught up in their demise), or they may be a long-lived dealer. In the present climate be wary and careful. I will probably purchase from them again.